Thread: CTD every battle

Icon9 CTD every battle

im having the same problem, but i never uninstalled anything before when it started. I've been playing completely fine for 2 weeks, then out of nowhere it started to CTD everytime i started to load a battle.

Things i have done to try to fix or get around the problem...
    started a new campaign and tried again-failed
    rebooted computer, start a new campaign- failed
    looked at game preferences, put on lowest preferences- failed
    reinstalled the game- failed
    ran the directx diagnostics tool- came up with no errors what so ever

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Re: Battle Crash

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyDove5718 View Post
    im having the same problem, but i never uninstalled anything before when it started. I've been playing completely fine for 2 weeks, then out of nowhere it started to CTD everytime i started to load a battle.

Have you added the -show_err switch to the shortcut target - that sometimes will trap an error message.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Default Re: Battle Crash

i know your suppose to put that in the shortcut properties, but im not quite sure where... what should it look like exactly?

Citizen

Default Re: CTD every battle

Well, you could start by looking at the stickied posts: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62217

I've moved your posts to a new thread as is wasn't the same problem as the previous posts - it's also easier to have one thread per person when different questions are being asked.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Default CTD Loading Battle

Ok, so i have the basic Rome total war game, and i've installed it successfully on my computer and had been playing it for about 2 weeks completely fine until just a couple days ago. I had started a new short campaign as the Thrace, and was loading a battle to take a new settlement when the game crashed to the desktop with no error message or anything.

I then looked on multiple forums for people with similar situations, and saw a few people talking about missing files such as the mss32.dll, which i have, and missing unit files, which i have too. I've ran out of ideas and getting kinda frustrated. I can do everything in the game, but run battles.. i have to auto resolve, which i hate doing

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: CTD Loading Battle

Battles = animation files = no error messages.
    You found some bugged units. If you want those units in battle, looks like you're going to have to learn to mod. Nobody has gone through the vanilla units. As old as this game is, it's still one of the best in my opinion, in spite of its faults.

Default Re: CTD Loading Battle

hmm, is that be something that would just randomly happen? because i did have about 2 weeks of playing just fine until just a couple days ago, and it sounds like something that could be solved through reinstalling which i have done with both my own cds and one of my friend's. I've tried starting multiple campaigns and multiple custom battles while i was troubleshooting, but if the problem was as you said, how would i find those bugged units?

To start: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191, and http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=207. Any unit that has not all the right file entries in the right folders will cause this error.

Another problem may run into if you play for many hours is a memory leak problem. This game its share of these holes, too.
    I still think the main problem and main complaint are the units themselves.

so, through one of the links you gave, i found http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53718, what would you suggest i do if i'm missing or think im missing a file? and how would you solve a memory leak?

Citizen

Well if you are missing a file from an unmodded RTW then you need to go back to the seller and complain that the files are missing - I'd make sure that it is a clean install though. If you are looking at a modded version of RTW then I suggest you save your changes somewhere and reinstall RTW from scratch.

It depends upon what is causing the memory leak. Is it a problem with your system or a problem with the software? I know that the early versions of ETW were known to have a memory leak. I don't recall that being a problem with the original RTW (but 2004 was a long time ago).

Did you ever add the -show_err switch? Quite often if there is a file missing then adding the switch will highlight it by the error message that is output (not all CTDs have an error message).
    Last edited by Brusilov; September 16, 2009 at 04:34 PM.

i've tried reinstalling with my own cd's and my friend's cd's, and i've never modded the game, but the past few times i've reinstalled it said something about not loading a dll file... I know your suppose to add the -show_err to the properties of the shortcut, but what exactly is it suppose to look like?

Which .dll are we talking about and what is your operating system.

Citizen

i've tried reinstalling with my own cd's and my friend's cd's, and i've never modded the game, but the past few times i've reinstalled it said something about not loading a dll file... I know your suppose to add the -show_err to the properties of the shortcut, but what exactly is it suppose to look like?
    I'd suggest that you take note of such error messages during the install process - they do mean something and need to be resolved. I'd suggest that you should resolve this error before worrying about why your battle crash.

With the show_err: I have already answered your query before - have a read of post #4 in this thread. If you continue to ignore our advice the only way forward is for us to stop answering your questions as you are clearly ignoring them.
    Last edited by Brusilov; September 17, 2009 at 03:16 AM.

hmm, i reinstalled the game so i could see the dll error message again, but it doesnt say a specific DLL, it just said "Failed to load DLL!", and with the show-err switch, it keeps saying "The name "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe"-show_err specified in the Target bo is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct."

Citizen

You need a space between the second double quote and the "-".....

So, like this:

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err

and not how you've typed it:

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe"-show_err

it says Generic error: insufficient memory to load requested texture set, which is strange since i've been able to do everything in the game for the longest time

it says Generic error: insufficient memory to load requested texture set, which is strange since i've been able to do everything in the game for the longest time
    It means your animations aren't right. If it's just Rome: Total War, no mods, the only recourse is to reinstall. If it's a mod, which one?

OK so, i was doing some research on that specific generic error, and i found this site http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13501. I turned off the shadows, and the battles work; i dont know what to do to get the battles to work with shadows on but that doesnt bother me too much