Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The best WW II photos.

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default The best WW II photos.

HOI 3 have this photo (or a paint) for me is the most impressive WW II photo.He would probably be the most recognised German soldier of all times,anybody know this Photo History? Who is him? Was he kill in battle?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

Default Re: The best WW II photos.

unknown soldier?
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

His name is Hans Von Schmidt, by his MG-belt he probalbly was the feeder for an MG...
    No, I don't know who he is, but I like that photo alot, too.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

This should be in VV...
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

The picture is from captured German footage from the Battle of the Bulge. The exact date is unknown, but he's from the 1st SS Panzer Division. If you look here, he's standing in the background, smoking a cigarette. Go to 6:19
    According to the owner of a US War Museum he has been tracked down in the US, but refused to talk about the war.
    Hope that helps.

Ow, and moved to V.V.

<3
    Visna
    Last edited by Visna; September 15, 2009 at 08:21 AM.

Under the stern but loving patronage of Nihil.

Another well-known photograph is this one by Robert Cappa:

It makes you wonder who's actually the captive, I think. The US MP could also be simply fixing his master's boots, who is annoyed because it takes so long.
    "The cheapest form of pride however is national pride. For it reveals in the one thus afflicted the lack of individual qualities of which he could be proud, while he would not otherwise reach for what he shares with so many millions. He who possesses significant personal merits will rather recognise the defects of his own nation, as he has them constantly before his eyes, most clearly. But that poor blighter who has nothing in the world of which he can be proud, latches onto the last means of being proud, the nation to which he belongs to. Thus he recovers and is now in gratitude ready to defend with hands and feet all errors and follies which are its own."-- Arthur Schopenhauer

Akrotatos's Avatar Vicarius

Cretans ambush Germans....only thing that spoils it, is that it could be a fake.
    Gems of TWC:

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    News flash but groups like al-Qaeda or Taliban are not Islamist.

Lovejoy's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Akrotatos View Post

Cretans ambush Germans....only thing that spoils it, is that it could be a fake.
    This actually look pretty fake. Just look at the guys to the left, and who took the picture? Otherwise it would have been a pretty cool picture.
    Political Correct Liberal Douche

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

"I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Quote Originally Posted by il padrino View Post
    Although the censored one (where the officer at the bottom is wearing only one wristwatch) is more popular
    "The cheapest form of pride however is national pride. For it reveals in the one thus afflicted the lack of individual qualities of which he could be proud, while he would not otherwise reach for what he shares with so many millions. He who possesses significant personal merits will rather recognise the defects of his own nation, as he has them constantly before his eyes, most clearly. But that poor blighter who has nothing in the world of which he can be proud, latches onto the last means of being proud, the nation to which he belongs to. Thus he recovers and is now in gratitude ready to defend with hands and feet all errors and follies which are its own."-- Arthur Schopenhauer

Tiberios's Avatar Le Paysan Soleil
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Stalingrad:

D-Day:

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by eisenkopf View Post
    Although the censored one (where the officer at the bottom is wearing only one wristwatch) is more popular
    Yeah lol why is he wearing two watches? And why is the other one censored?
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Tiberios's Avatar Le Paysan Soleil
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

My guess whould be he has looted one and that's why they censored it. All I can think of as a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

My guess whould be he has looted one and that's why they censored it. All I can think of as a reason.
    Also, things tend to break in war.

Babur's Avatar ز آفتاب درخشان ستاره می

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Quote Originally Posted by eisenkopf View Post
    Another well-known photograph is this one by Robert Cappa:

It makes you wonder who's actually the captive, I think. The US MP could also be simply fixing his master's boots, who is annoyed because it takes so long.
    or he could be doing something completely different...
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Quote Originally Posted by Kralle18 View Post
    He could have looted both

Under the stern but loving patronage of Nihil.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast