View Poll Results: Increase unit stats?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Increase is progress!

8 50.00%
  • Or - There's a better way and I know it!

4 25.00%
  • No - Old stats give me pleasant nostalgy

4 25.00%

Thread: Raising unit stats.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Default Raising unit stats.

Ok, so the previous thread about multiplying unit stats was pretty much a huge failure, how about we try this:

Simply increasing unit stats by a value. I have already (again) made a tool that automatically does that, so, no precious time tweaking stats lost.

The effect would lessen the importance of experience, while still somewhat maintaining the balance between units.
    What would you guys think of this?

So far I've thought of increasing all attack values by 8 and total defense +12, though, taking account the extra features of the tool (multiplying+increasing/decreasing), it can be even more complex.
    Last edited by RedFox; September 14, 2009 at 04:00 PM.

Default Re: Raising unit stats.

Well I can't really decide, I suppose testing it out can't hurt imo. This would just be to overcome the amount of points experience adds on to unit stats or another reason? Seems that experience adds hell of a lot onto how effective a unit is. Also would this increase in attack/defence effect the length of battles or would be make it about the same?

The length of battles should remain about the same, but the experience bonus makes a lot less difference.

Does experience affect both attack and defense? or is that modable?

No, the experience effect isn't moddable, that's why I want to work around it by raising the stats. So that in relative terms, the importance of experience is much much less.

1 experience gives: +1 attack +1 defense skill
    9 experience gives +9 attack +9 defense skill

This isn't a very big deal considering defense, but it really unbalances missile unit attack and makes units too deadly. If we multiply the stats by, say 1.5 and then add an extra +4 to attack and defense, it should balance everything.

Since the multiplication of stats is uniform (it happens for ALL units the same way), there will be almost no change in overall balance.
    I'll create a test version with (*1.5 + 4), but I require Beta testers to test it out. Anyone interested?

Right, thats too bad. Then I guess you're right and we should make the stats higher so experience doesnt turn units into zombies. But not by much or gaining experience will become worthless.
    Hope you find some beta testers, I have no time for such a commitment unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    Ok, so the previous thread about multiplying unit stats was pretty much a huge failure, how about we try this:
    Why failure? People have spoken their mind .

Do you propose to increase the missile and melee attack of the missile units with the same value? Wouldn't this make missile units weaker?

I agree with increasing unit stats by the same parameter. This will surely make gold chevrons units less invincible and missile units less snipers (at a certain point, you actually get one shot-one kill, or almost..)..

Well after playing the 1.07 patch it seems the raising of the stats was a good idea, seems experienced troops don't slaughter the same unit that has one less chevron. Good call.

How's the overall balance though? There shouldn't be much difference in overall balance in theory, but the raised stats might work differently.

Battles don't really last any longer at all and like I say units with experience don't totally wipe out units with lower amounts of experience.

then again..if you want to maintain realisim..the experiened troops would still muder the fresh ones just like the pro will pwn the n00b

To be honest I want much longer battles than I had before. This mod looks promising though!

Redfox, would you consider a two point system like on XGM?

The battles aren't that short to be honest. They're short enough to not get you bored and short enough to get stuff done on the battlefield. If you want it even longer, try enabling fatigue - that will lengthen it quite a bit.

As for battles, they're quite well balanced. If you can find a shortcoming from somewhere, you can always report.

Is the fatigue in DTW exactly the same as vanilla settings or has it been tweaked? Just wasn't so good in vanilla. If it is different and better in some way I was thinking about enabling it.

Units don't tire as fast as in vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    The battles aren't that short to be honest. They're short enough to not get you bored and short enough to get stuff done on the battlefield. If you want it even longer, try enabling fatigue - that will lengthen it quite a bit.
    I totally agree with the assessment of the pace of the battles. For perfect (imo) pace of battles in DTW: huge size, fatigue off, difficulty H or VH.

RedFox, I am not sure enabling fatigue will lengthen battles. In fact, your troops and/or AI troops will tire and route sooner.