Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Postumus/Romanus

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Postumus/Romanus

"I believe the best way, and most strategic way, to split the eastern provinces, is to draw the line between Greece and Asia Minor. Greece is relatively pacified and therefore, despite its larger area, can be managed well enough by one proconsul. Besides, in the event that trouble should arise, its proximity to Italy means that we can quickly send legions across to aid the proconsul there.

Asia Minor, though smaller, will be harder to control. Being a newer part of our lands, many of the people are not yet fully content with our rule, and news of the Seleucids means that possibly a war or dispute could erupt in the east, which would require a great part of the attention of a singular proconsul and his forces that cannot be too thinly stretched. It will need one man's full vigilance and diligence to keep that side of the empire safe from revolt or invasion.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

The old man who is know as Soulinus opens his mouth and speaks the following words.

Senators after hearing about this discussion to split the eastern provinces i should say that the time is ripe to do so the province is to troublesome for one magistrate to deal with the upcoming war with Illyria and Seleucids need the attention of there own magistrates.

I would support the plan of splitting the province in to the Greek province and the Province Asia minor.

There for i present you with a motion.

Splitting of the Eastern province :

I. The eastern province will be split in to two separate ruled provinces.

II. They will both be ruled by a Pro - consul

III. The Greek Province will contain all cities in Greece.

IV. Province Asia minor will contain all cities on the other side of the hellespont.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Well, I suppose such a move is necesary. I will second it. Praetor, please put it to vote!

As for the campaign, what has occurred with our Consul's campaigns? They have not bothered to report to us at all in a long time. We should send someone to get an answer from them, as I fear maybe the worse could have happened!

A sweaty man rushes in the Curia and delivers a scroll to the nearest senator.

Greetings Fellow Senators,

Things have gone well in the invasion of Illyria.

Myself and my legion advanced into Illyrian Territory. Encountering no resistance, we marched on to beseige Aquileia. The battle was rough, immediatly being hit by illyrian troops on both flanks. But our troops fought hard, and beat them back. We advanced through the village, skirmishing with minor troops along the way. When we reached the village center, the Illyrian General rushed forward smack into our front troops. They were quickly surrounded and killed. My own friend Marcus Traianus fought valaintly as Centurion of a Cohort, his first Military Experience. He himself slayed the enemy general and struck him down.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The troops advanced toward the last remaning enemy troops, a Phalanx in the city plaza. Our troops rushed forward, pushing the Phalanx back. At the last moment, me and my bodyguard swooped around their flank and crushed the phalanx, breaking them. They were then quickly surrounded and killed.
    We had a loss of 110 men, compared to a loss of all men for the opposing Illyrian army. Such is the cost of war. After the battle, the city was exterminated. The cost of war could not be higher, considering the insult to Roman athourity by the army in Epirus, and the besieging of Patavium.
    Our troops left Aquileia and advanced toward Segestica, the Illyrian Capital, and besiged it. Battle will come, soon.

I await further orders.

Consul Lucius Armenius Romanus
    ~YATS Info: Lvcius Armenivs Romanvs - 28 (Patrician)~

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Virgilius stands,

I congratulate the Consul on his victory; truly, he was admirable in such an efficient assault. However, I do hope the Consul will in the future refrain from the unfortunate barbarism perpetrated against the town's inhabitants; now that the soldiers have gotten their fill of revenge, I encourage the Consul to leave the remaining settlements intact. Incidents such as these do little to prove Roman superiority, and only stoak the fires of rebellion and anger we have seen from the Illyrians. Besides moral concerns, which are legion, the economic costs are astronomical over the long run. We must not allow a desire for revenge to cripple the Illyrian gold industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

And if we were to supplement the now empty city with Roman citizens? If we begin an ambitious colonization program into Ilyria, not only will we relieve much of the squalor seen throughout Italy but we'll also ensure a higher degree of orderliness and obedience to Roman laws.

ooc: Winter, I think you remember the law that this is alluding to

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

That proposal would be quite interesting. If we were to send our people to those lands, we would romanize the region much faster, decrease squalor in Italy and increase the loyalty of the province, thus increasing our profits. My only worry is that our own people may not necesarily wish to move to those barbaric, distant lands.

Their lands are rich and good for farming. Provided the area is up to Roman standards they will be being given more than they have already. I don't believe the people will reject this.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

Will the lands be barbaric if they have been Romanised, I don't think so. However I agree with Virgilius. We should not go around killing the civilians. Those who object will soon be found out and punished in an acceptable way, in accordance with the crime of course. But for the majority the Romanising of their homes will benefit them greatly and thus they will embrace their new way of life, and their new masters.

We must have a proper infrastructure in place before any mass colonisation of Roman citizens can take place as I doubt people will leave the comfort of Italy to a newly conquered land if they had to take a decrease in their standard of living.

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

That is true. While the cities and towns are taken, certainly the Barbarians in the country will attack our people's towns and villages, burn their crops. Few men, with family and children would accept such circunstances. I think we ought to first pacify the region with our Legions, then civilized people may come and exploit the riches of the land.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345