Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Postumus/Romanus

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Postumus/Romanus

"Quaestor, it is true that money must be invested in building and giving money to Proconsuls and Consuls, but we cannot leave too little and amount in the reserves. As you stated, after all, they are reserves to be relied on during our time of need. Emphasis has been laid on the two or three wars we are fighting at the moment. If one of them goes drastically wrong, then we'd need quite large reserves to back our military. Money is one of the sinews of war, as it is said.

As for the Seleucid incursion, true, we cannot tolerate an unwanted visitor in our territory, but by no means should we begin another war without trying to avoid it! Already our forces are stretched somewhat thin, our finances inadequate to invest in both military and infrastructure. To bring the might of the Seleucids down on us, a might, may I add, that is still one of the dominant powers of the east, could well be disastrous. I believe it best that the Proconsul be sent to watch over Seleucid actions in the east, and watches be placed on the border. No spies! If one of them is caught, it could be just the very excuse that the Seleucids use to justify an invasion of our lands."

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

I have said all i have to say on this, now i ask the Preator present, to in our Consuls absenses, to put it to vote

Fine. Please do so, Praetor. An other matter that I have recently noticed is the idle troops we have resting in Italy. While it is good to protect our lands there are at least 2 legions that do not serve any garrison purposes in Southern Italy, troops that would be more than well received in Greece, Macedon or Asia. I think we should ask someone, a Consul or Quaestor, to give us a report on the status of those troops, and certainly comment on the possibility of sending them to the frontline.
    Last edited by Ozy; September 22, 2009 at 10:49 AM.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

indeed, i agree, from what i hear while i await my budget to head to my provience, Iberia is reasonably safe, and with the selucids being ... testing then i'm sure that they will be well recieved by the governor there

Winter's Avatar Civitate

"Senators, it is appalling that all of Italy cannot enjoy basic sanitation. Are we no better than barbarians? Why must our people live in squalor and filth, when our monetary reserves are so high? At the very least, we must provide sewers to the Tarantines."

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

A message arrives from Campus Romanus...

Dear Senators Of The Curia

This is mearly an update from Campus Romanus. Strict, vigilant watch is being enforced of the Illyrian Northern Border, but no actual movement has been seen over the border. I will continue to patrol the border. I await further orders.

Salve Senators,
    Consul Lucius Armenius Romanus

ROMA INVICTA!
    ~YATS Info: Lvcius Armenivs Romanvs - 28 (Patrician)~

Pallas stands up, disdain on his face

What is this? A consul outside of Rome not actively committing the legions under his command to the offensive but merely acting as patrol? The Ilyrians have struck us, why has this body not declared open war against those tainted men? I ask that Consul Armenius unfurl the banners of war and take the Ilyrian capital by force, erasing them forever from the face of the earth.

ooc: activate the script anyways, the game was designed to work with the script, if it doesn't get used in a turn and the game continues, then weird things may happen.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

"Shall we make it official, senator? I propose the following motion"

(I have no interest in looking up the proper Latin grammar so I apologize if you're a grammarnazi)

Senatus Consultum de Bellum cum Dalmatium

I. The Senate hereby declares a state of open war between the Senate and People of Rome and the Barbarian tribes of Illyria and Dalmatia.

II. The Consul Romanus is hereby empowered, with the legions under his command, to take the war to the enemy, to conquer his lands and to occupy his cities, until he should either surrender or be rendered powerless and defeated.

III. The Consul shall give regular reports of battles fought and cities captured. The Consul may request additional soldiers and funds to recruit conscripts at the leisure of the Senate; the Consul shall initially be given 5000 denarii in this regard.

I second this motion Senator Vergilius, may our legions bring us victory and destroy our enemy so this phony three front war can return to a two front war as it always should've been.

ooc: sorry if my posts are a little weird right now, I'm pretty hammered

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

"I shall also support this motion. Let us get this war with the Illyrians finally over and done with, so they may no longer harass our borders and prove to be a nuisance."

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

Senators, the motions proposed are now open to vote.
    May we hurry these motions along and bring revenge upon these barbarians for the pain they have caused to fellow Roman citizens!

ooc: sorry for the delay in my response to putting the motions to vote, I have been rather busy lately and have had less access to the internet than I usually do!

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Preator may you also put my budget to vote please

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

ooc : problem solved with the script.

IC

The door opens and in comes a man dirty of travelling by land and by sea. He caries a case in it is a scroll with a report from North Africa.

The man walks to the nearest senator and delivers him the case.

Senators,

I have arrived in Carthage and started immediate preparations for the military campaign, after gathering the necessary means for my operation, the second legion and i moved out of the Africa region and left Carthage behind us. We moved to Massylia to lift the siege on Hippo Regius. The city was still defending it's self after 2 months of fighting. As i tried to stir up troops moral to get them moving faster we finally reached Hippo Regius after a week of marching true the desert.

The troops moral was high and they where ready to fight and settle this dispute ones and for all. I commanded them to rest for the night and we began battle the next morning at sunrise.

The carthaginians fielded 4 phalanxes of Poeni citizen infantry, 4 phalanxes of sacred band and 2 units of balearic slinger. The battle was chaotic and lasted almost the entire day until there left flank started to crumble, panic started to drift true the ranks and men started to leave there positions. The 4 and 6 cohort followed the retreating men and the 5 and 7the cohort made a flank attack on the left this made the enemies formation shaky. With a last push even the bravest amongst the enemies started to flee and the battle was won by the second legion Augusta.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

After the battle was fought we took care of the wounded and gave the dead a proper roman funeral. One the first day after the battle we raised camp and moved to the city of crita wish is in there province of Numidia. I will arrive there soon and start the siege of this city to ensure the safety of my support lines once i march on to the rest of there empire.

More reports will follow.

Consul
    Quintus Volero Postumus
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain118 View Post
    Pallas stands up, disdain on his face

What is this? A consul outside of Rome not actively committing the legions under his command to the offensive but merely acting as patrol? The Ilyrians have struck us, why has this body not declared open war against those tainted men? I ask that Consul Armenius unfurl the banners of war and take the Ilyrian capital by force, erasing them forever from the face of the earth.

ooc: activate the script anyways, the game was designed to work with the script, if it doesn't get used in a turn and the game continues, then weird things may happen.
    OOC: I'm just going to go with the vote, but the reason their was a patrol was because I was under orders to NOT commit to an offensive until YtC prepared his Southern troops for an attack. But I guess if this vote passes I'll just screw that and kick some Illyrian ass.
    ~YATS Info: Lvcius Armenivs Romanvs - 28 (Patrician)~

Quote Originally Posted by Hesus de bodemloze View Post
    ooc : problem solved with the script.

IC

The door opens and in comes a man dirty of travelling by land and by sea. He caries a case in it is a scroll with a report from North Africa.

The man walks to the nearest senator and delivers him the case.
    Excellent news! Soon the Consul will inevitably take all Africa for Rome!

If things go to plan, maybe by the end of the year Postumus and Armenius will have effectively ended 2 of the fronts in this war, leaving us with plenty of troops to move on with the Seleucids!

As for the other front, I think the Praetor should move this motion to vote as well.

I. The Legions stationed in Southern Italy will be immediately sent across the Adriatic to Greece, where they will serve the Proconsul of the East.

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

Your motion has been put to vote, as has all other motions to my knowledge.

However, should we really move on to the Seleucids as you say? We must not forget the hostile actions of the remaining Greek isles with their refusal of peace talks with us. Shall this thorn in our side remain there for eternity while we deal with others who have done us no harm?
    But enough with the future, only time will tell us what needs to be done.

I give my praise, and my personal thanks, to Consul Postumus. Soon the once almighty Carthaginian nation shall be nothing but a memory!

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Well, they have invaded us. I don't know about you, but to me it sounds like some harm. If they have been too cowardish to actually begin an open war, that is different. If the Proconsul doesn't handle the situation correctly, or they simply have decided to have a war with us, in short the confrontations will begin. The legions will be there to make sure we win if such an event comes, perhaps even seeing our new troops will persuade them to reconsider their attacks.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Senators we should decide how to split the province of the east in to two separate provinces.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Are there no legions in the east? Must we move our entire army to fight several hundred transgressors? I see no reason to send the southern Italian legions to the east; the Proconsul has all the resources and men he needs to defeat the Syrians, should it be necessary to fight.

We are certainly not moving our entire army to the East, Senator. While the East has many Legions, a good amount of them are at the Northern border, at the South of Illyria. Also, we should remember that the East is by far the region with the most rebellious population, that meaning that by taking more troops for, say, a campaign in the East, we would be risking for revolts in Anatolia.

Finally, Greece is relatively close to Italy, enough to send the troops back if they were needed in Italy, were they most certainly won't be needed anyway, as the two points to enter are from Illyria, where the Consul has his army, and Gaul, were we have legions too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast