DESIVS FESTINIVS BIBVLVS

QVAESTOR
    MARCVS QVINTVS ASELLO

PRO - MAGISTRATA

PRO-CONSVL OF THE EAST
    PVBLIVS CLAVDIVS DIVES

PRO-CONSVL OF THE WEST
    LVCIVS PRIMVS MARCELLINVS
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; September 19, 2009 at 03:58 PM.

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Posthumus/

Before most of the Senators had arrived to the new term, a messenger ran and made his way into the Curia, handing a scroll to the scribes inside.

The scroll read,

Senators of Rome,

This letter brings terrible news: The Illyrian horde, the barbarians who invaded us and besieged Patavium have prevailed against our forces. They attacked through the night, and we did not have the power to stop them. Patavium now burns and cries, and barbarians do as they wish in our land. Senators, I beg you, retrieve the city!

Not much later, a new message arrived, this time from the other side of the Republic's domains.

Senators of Rome,

The Carthaginians have begun the offensive. A large army has besieged Hippus Regius. We await the Consul to lead our men and make us drive those men out of Roman Africa.

OOC: Raglan? I'm not Quaestor. Aquilla is Praetor and I am Consul.
    ~YATS Info: Lvcius Armenivs Romanvs - 28 (Patrician)~

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

Cato stands to greet the messenger, with fury wide in his eyes his responds to the terrible news.

My gods! Italy has been invaded, how could this of happened? We have tried to be patient and push for terms to be reached with those who would so readily call themselves out enemies. Now they have gone too far Illyria must, MUST, be made to bow before us and their leaders demanded to walk the streets of Rome in chains with the status below that of beggars!

They have shunned our hospitality and our kind words, now they must feel our wrath and the coldness of our swords cutting through their flesh! The furies will rain down hell on these barbarians, so much so that they will wish they were never born Illyrian!

And that of the news from Africa, I only left there a mere couple of days ago for the elections and now it has already fallen into chaos, my gods what have we done wrong to deserve such a treatment of despair and death! The dirty Carthaginians must be made to pay for the suffering they have caused already in this war they must be driven into the desert like the common wild animals they are!

Cato sat, mumbling to himself angrily How could this of possibly happen?

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

"Because we are humans, Cato. We express our mortality even more by hosting gladiatorial games. But anyway, I agree with what you are saying. i am not directing this towards anyone, but the senators in here have been pretty dull when it comes to attacking. It is needed. Lately Senators have been letting our enemy walk all over us. No more."
    ~YATS Info: Lvcius Armenivs Romanvs - 28 (Patrician)~

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

I have been known for wanting to avoid pointless attacks for the safety of our troops, as all Romans should not die for worthless matters, but all of those who call themselves Romans would gladly take up arms against these invaders! They have sacked and pillaged our land and I hate to think what else they have done to fellow Roman citizens! They have defiled our homeland and now it must be cleansed! These barbarians, every last one of them, must be driven out of Italy at all costs! We can not be pushed around by them, the days of that are over and the days of the sword are just beginning! Those Illyrians will flee at the sign of out determination for we dare not allow them to live on OUR soil any longer!
    Last edited by -Aquila-; September 14, 2009 at 07:53 PM.

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Tiberivs stood, and among the tallest and most imposing of the senators, boomed: "Senators, as to Illyria and Carthage, I ask those that can to do three words: Crush. Them. NOW!!"

OOC: Hey do I need to do the census yet?
    Last edited by Imperial Eagle; September 14, 2009 at 08:33 PM.
    A blood-thirsty norse bastard, an opportunistic french-speaking norse bastard, or the King? I think by the laws of fealty there is only one option available.. - sirfiggin

OOC: I think it should be a good idea, as we don't exactly know who is really active atm.

IC:

Geganius smiled. Finally we would get to action.

Senators, I will present again my previous proposition. We must pass it now!

I. A Consul will be sent to Africa as planned before, and he will first defend the Roman territories, and effectively conquer the Carthaginian holdings on Africa.
    II.A Consul shall receive Imperium to drive the Illyrians out of Italy, and then march across the Alps into Illyria herself.
    III. The Proconsul of the East shall invade Illyria from the South, trying to combine his stategy with the Consul's.

Seconded.

I previously argued that Italy needed stronger defence and behold what has happened.
    Noone wants to fight a war on two fronts but this is were we find ourselves.
    Wit luck the Illyrian war will be swift allowing us to concentrate on the war in Carthage.

Carthage has shown no signs of repentence towards us and now I can only fully support their destruction. Let us topple their cities and sow their lands with salt so that no crop may ever grow there again.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionEuropa View Post
    OOC: Raglan? I'm not Quaestor. Aquilla is Praetor and I am Consul.
    Euhm your Praetor you won the elections for Praetor. Cato is without an office so he could fill in as suffectus for Questor, consul, pontifex maximus (if he is patrician) or tribune (if he is pleb)

IC :
    Senator i don't wish to disappoint you you but the motion on Africa already passed, we only need to decide wish consul the send. And on the matter of proposing Imperium i would like to remind you to one of our previous passed laws Lex Conferens Imperium.

A voice was heard in one of the front rows as well. It was the old man who spook.

We must obey to the laws senators. These laws have been brought to us by our gods and are here to serve our people.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; September 15, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Postumus/

Senators, this i think is the result of our inactivity, i spent most of my time in Africa waiting for the senate to decide if i was allowed to attack. And then i return and find that same inactivity has allowed a Roman city to fall.

Well Romans, this is not acceptable, we must drive out the men to the north and finish our war with Qarthdasim. I am now a Pro-Consul, but i will also remind the senate of a third enermy, that of Kronion Hellenas. They are also at war with us, and out diplomate failed to gain a favourable peace.

Also what of the Questors report, and the sacrafices by the Pontifex Maximus?

Quintus raised his voice to get the attention. It was time he acted.

Senators we have much to discuss and to settle so i would like to set the order of debate.

First we will appoint suffectus for the following positions.

- Consul
    - Questor
    - Pontifex Maximus

If we have appointed these suffectus members we will need a Questors report, the most important thing in this report is the Pro consuls budget so that he can leave to govern his province.

After this we will decide wish Consul will be send to Africa to deal with the Carthaginians and wish one to retake Patavium and invade Illyria.
    The Kronion Hellenas have not taken any enemy actions against us so far so we should keep our spies around there and order them to send reports every month. As long as they don't take any military actions against us they are no dangerous thread. We need to focus on Illyria and Carthage first senators.

Let us appoint suffectus magistrates and set things to order.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; September 15, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

OOC: We took it as if Armenius had run for Consul, just to speed things up (its not like he would get any competition)

IC:

You are right, Consul. If that is the case, then the following law should be passed:

I. A Consul shall receive Imperium to drive the Illyrians out of Italy, and then march across the Alps into Illyria herself.
    II. The Proconsul of the East shall invade Illyria from the South, trying to combine his stategy with the Consul's.

If I may say, I would recomend that you, Consul Postumus, were sent to Africa, while your colleague, Armenius, eliminates the Illyrian invaders.

I second this motion.
    The Koiron Hellanon are a small threat compared to Carthage and Illyria.
    Once we deal with these barbarians perhaps then we will turn our eye to them.
    We are already fighting a war on two fronts, let us not make it three for now.
    Last edited by Crozimodo; September 15, 2009 at 04:19 PM.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

ooc; kronion hellanos are just in crete, they have byzantium and several other cites. They aren't just one city! although its true that they are the least of the threats.

Now can someone summerise who has what role, cause i don't have a clue

Who has what role in the war?

Nothing is settled, but I think Consul Postumus should go to the South, and Consul Armenius to Illyria. Claudius may help attacking from Macedonia.

As for the unfilled offices, I would recommend that any man who wishes the offices presented his candidacy, or that any man who considers a man in these room worthy, brings such man's name forward.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

ooc; actually i meant can someone summerise who has what position in the senate, ie consul, preator etc. But anyways...

ic;Does the Consuls have any preference about who they battle? I know that i would have prefered Illyria if i had still been Consul, does the Consuls believe they might do better against one foe or the other?

OOC: Well it's exactly what is now typed in the op.

IC:

Consuls, let's not waste more time in this! If we continue to take this long, Mediolanum and Arretium herself will be lost as well!

Armenius, Postumus. What fronts will you choose?

ooc : I updated the first post every one has his office now, i would like to suggest some of us using a second character to fill in the open offices. Volunteers PM me i will assign the offices via PM.

IC :

Quintus raised his voice once more.

If the senate would grant me the right to fight the Carthaginians, then i will deal with this troublesome enemy once and for all.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Postumus/Romanus

ooc; a Quintus Flavius Aellio will take second tribune

ic; i see no issue with that. Now has the Quaestor been chossen?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast