Thread: How to Enable Unique Regiment Names

Default How to Enable Unique Regiment Names

Greetings and Salutations from the Imperial Splendour crew. We just discovered this, and thought we'd share it with all of you.

This tutorial requires 2 programs: the ESF Editor and the PFM (or DB Editor, your choice).

1) Open PFM and open the localisation. In English versions of the game, it's in patch_en.pack (in the data folder). Extract the localisation to your data folder. Now create a new pack with the PFM. Add the localisation that you just extracted. Save as whatever you want your pack to be called. I personally recommend something like patch_xxx_text.pack. That way everybody knows it isn't in mod format and they also know that it's the text localisation. Change your pack type to movie. Save it again.

2) Open your localisation. Scroll down until you see a bunch of entries like unit_regiment_names_localisation_lookup_unit_name_euro_infantry_units_001 through whatever it goes to. Clone a number of them, however many you need. For this first part I'd just go with a small number, say 4, until you know that you did everything right.

3) Rename your cloned entries from unit_regiment_names_localisation_lookup_unit_name_euro_infantry_units_001 (or whatever number it is) to something like unit_regiment_names_localisation_lookup_unit_name_russia_infantry_units_001 (the format of this part doesn't really matter. You can really call it whatever you want, so long as you remember what it is). Now change the next column to the name of the unit that you want displayed. For me, I went with these Russian units, in this order: Rostovski Regiment, Kievski Regiment, Vologdski Regiment, Sibierski Regiment (each one of these corresponding to a different russia_infantry_units_00x entry).

4) Save your new pack.

5) Open the ESF Editor. Open the startpos.esf in the campaigns/main folder (make sure you have a backup of it before you start working). Scroll until you find CAMPAIGN_STARTPOS/CAMPAIGN_ENV/CAMPAIGN_MODEL/WORLD/FACTION_ARRAY/FACTION_ARRAY/FACTION. Find the faction you want to change. In my example, it's Russia. Just keep clicking the FACTION entries until you find what you want.

6) Continue to LAND_UNIT_NAME_ALLOCATOR/LAND_UNIT_NAMES_MAP/LAND_UNIT_NAMES_MAP. You'll notice that by clicking on these entries, it displays a number. The numbers are 0-22, although not in that order. These entries correspond with the unit classes as defined in the unit_class table in main.pack, and the order in which they are in the table. So #0 would be artillery_fixed and #12 would be general. I'll provide a list of the numbers and their corresponding unit classes at the end of this post so you don't have to keep checking the main.pack.

7) Find the number that corresponds to the unit class that you want to change. In my case, it was infantry_line, which is #18. Further expand UNIT_CLASS_NAME_ALLOCATOR/UNIT_CLASS_NAMES_LIST/UNIT_CLASS_NAMES_LIST. You'll see a bunch of entries. Each one of these, in order, contains a pointer to the localisation entry of each successive recruited infantry_line unit.

8) Expand UNIT_CLASS_NAMES_LIST and open/click on CAMPAIGN_LOCALISATION. You'll see an entry that will hopefully be unit_regiment_names_localisation_lookup_unit_name_euro_infantry_units_001. Change that to the new localisation that you defined, which in my case above was unit_regiment_names_localisation_lookup_unit_name_russia_infantry_units_001. Do this again for the next 3 units (incrementing the pointer, of course). Save and exit.

9) Boot up the game and when you recruit a new Line Infantry unit as Russia, you'll see whatever name you gave it. In my case, it was Vologdski Regiment. The reason why it doesn't start at #1 is because there are already Line Infantry regiments on the board. Which it doesn't re-name. That's a different entry in the startpos, which I might write a tutorial for later.

Good luck and have fun.

ps - Here's that breakdown of unit classes I promised:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

0 - artillery_fixed
    1 - artillery_foot
    2 - artillery_horse
    3 - cavalry_camels
    4 - cavalry_heavy
    5 - cavalry_irregular
    6 - cavalry_lancers
    7 - cavalry_light
    8 - cavalry_missile
    9 - cavalry_standard
    10 - dragoons
    11 - elephants
    12 - general
    13 - infantry_berserker
    14 - infantry_elite
    15 - infantry_grenadiers
    16 - infantry_irregulars
    17 - infantry_light
    18 - infantry_line
    19 - infantry_melee
    20 - infantry_militia
    21 - infantry_mob
    22 - infantry_skirmishers
    Last edited by The Vicar; September 14, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: How to Enable Unique Regiment Names

thanks for tutorial

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Might be useful for the persons which have need of it.

fingon's Avatar Tiro

Thank you Vicar, this is just great! I am doing unique "Austrian" (Bohemian, Moravian, Austrian, Hungarian etc) regiment names, but I am having a tough time with 2 models of infantry (german and hungarian), that were set as one "line infantry" (with on numeral system), so that I cant control when for example hungarian regiment will have a "german" model. Edit: I think I have it now. Just complete all the regiment names and a new mod is born.
    Last edited by fingon; March 07, 2010 at 12:36 AM.

the regiment lookup of the units already in game is defined at the unit in the startpos (world / faction / army manager / look for the unit) you can change it there.

fingon's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Knight View Post
    the regiment lookup of the units already in game is defined at the unit in the startpos (world / faction / army manager / look for the unit) you can change it there.
    Yes thank you, I am already editing this, because Vicar was right about that, it does not influence some units already recruited.

fingon's Avatar Tiro

So I have done everything (2 days of hard work) learning regiment informations from 5 sources, massive editing of esf and db and text files and now I found that since I was using ESF 1.4.5 the regiment names stopped working. I mean I edited 3 starting regiment names in old ESF and they were displaying great, but when I edited them in esf 1.4.5 they stopped working completely (but the values I edited in old esf are still working). So maybe an error in 1.4.5? Thats horrible.. How can I fix it now?

And I am reporting an update to vicarīs tutorial. The already recruited units of line infantry have unique regiment names, but other class of units dont have them.

Edit: As I see, I gotta start from scratch in startpos editing, because 1.4.5 messed it up completely..
    Last edited by fingon; March 07, 2010 at 03:47 AM.

fingon's Avatar Tiro

Still no luck even with 1.4.3.. But LOL I have found a feature, where I can ingame!!! set the name of my unit!! Thats great! Because I do not need to do this mod. The sad thing is that I spent 3 days creating it. I have done it all.

Laetus

How do you do it ingame?

Scipio praeditus's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
    How do you do it ingame?
    You cannot change the base name like 'Line Infantry' ingame, but when you right click the unit to call up the info card there is a text bar stating '1st regiment of foot' or some such.
    You can enter whatever you like into that text bar.
    "The only question that remained was whether the founders knew the final result of their creation, or if they themselves where the victims of a misunderstanding.
    In the latter case it was the duty of any thinking human, to press himself into the front of this depraved movement, to perhaps still prevent the extreme, in the former case the founders of this peoples disease must have been true devils; for only in the brain of a monster - not of a human - could the plan for an organisation take meaningfull form, whose purpose must lead toward the end result of a collapse of human culture and thus to the desolation of the world.
    In this case only battle remained as a means of final delivery, battle with any weapons that the human mind, intellect and will are able to comprehend, regardless, of whom fate would gift with it's blessing."

Thanks great info!
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

TuranianGhazi's Avatar Biarchus

Thank you very much for your tutorial, dear THE VICAR! It has been truly very very helpful for me to create my own personal regimented names!

I would like to add this insight learning that I had though. Hopefully it'll save someone down the line a couple of sleepless nights trying to figure out why CTDs were happening.

Under "unit_regiments_tables":
    GIVEN:
    UNIT CLASS "infantry_line" to UNIT_NAME of "ottoman_infantry_line_9999"

DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING:
    Assign UNIT CLASS "infantry_militia" to the same UNIT_NAME of "ottoman_infantry_line_9999"
    INSTEAD DO THE FOLLOWING:
    Assign UNIT CLASS "infantry_militia" to the a different and unique UNIT_NAME of "ottoman_infantry_militia_9999"

LEARNING: Each Unit Class expects and only works with its own separate, independent, and unique UNIT_NAME!

UNIT_NAMES may NOT be shared!

One can still use the same "ottoman_infantry_line_" prefix for example, but the ID must be another one, not "_9999" suffix as in the GIVEN case. This is how CA actually does it.
    They reserve the high numbers, starting from 101 for example for cavalry to designate "Horse Guards" for example.
    Yet, still, each UNIT CLASS expects and needs to be assigned to its own individual, unique, and unshared UNIT_NAME!

Th-th-th-that's all folks!
    Cheerios!

TuranianGhazi's Avatar Biarchus

Also, might as well prod your mind back about.

Is there ANY way to add CUSTOM "names_CUSTOMXYZ" under the "factions" table under the "regiment" column?

It needs support form the "names_groups" table.

However, in my experience, WHENEVER I modify or update the "names_groups" table... ETW and NTW always crash. It's like it's missing some hard-coded XML or LUA or other connecting piece.

I really really would like to have own custom names for characters and regiments.

I think that the Naval table ("ships_names_tables") did it much more better. One can still use EXISTING names_groups like "names_muslim_general" or "names_ottoman" or "names_european" but one can make that ship name SPECIFIC and APPLICABLE to a SINGLE faction, via the extra column of "exclusive_to_faction". That'd be the easiest solution to fix the "names_table"! Unfortunately, the "names_table" has no such column of "exclusive_to_faction", so ALL factions using that particular "names_group" get ALL of those names, unfortunately.

If you could help me out on this one, that'd be grand!

Also explain to me how and where is the "names_group" table to the "faction" and "unit_regiment_names" tables. Perhaps I'm simply missing some connecting tables, but I just don't see any. The usual suspects are blued-out, can't be edited, such as the "groupings_cultures_junct", "groupings_subcultures_junct" perhaps have something to do with.

I wager that the custom "names_XYZ" must be connected somehow to a custom "culture_XYZ" and perhaps probably even a custom "subculture_XYZ". Or am I mistaken?

For now, I'll just use the existing "names_groups" just for functionality sake of my Crimean Khanate Reliasm mods, both for Empire and Napoleon.

Thanks again in advance! Cheers!

THX