Thread: [HoI3] Spanish Civil War - How to win?

Default [HoI3] Spanish Civil War - How to win?

Hey all,

Can anyone give me a good strategy to play as Republic Spain and win the civil war? I keep getting battered by the nationalists

Should i mobilise my forces from the start of the game? Where should i position my starting forces?

Also, after the republic has reclaimed all spanish ground, what would be the next course of action? join comintern and let Germany have another frontline to fight on while they try to invade the USSR?

Suggestions please

Default Re: Spanish Civil War - How to win?

lol alright i managed to beat the nationalists by using my navy to transport infantry round to outflank them and placing militia on regions with victory points. after surrendering i aligned to comintern and placed all my men on the french border (waiting for german invasion)

any other good strategies to take into account? should i keep the french border defended and invade italy by sea? should i even bother with portugal?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

You join Comintern?? My observation is that Germany usually would not invade Soviet because American always come around 1941 ~ 42, and Wehrmechat also has to deal Sweden and Finland which would pin down another great deal of their force.

Join Allies and invade Libya is a good choice; my notice is that Italy AI generally positions majority of their force on Italy rather than oversea, so an invasion of Italy means you would face like 30 Italian divisions without counting German.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

well the idea was the Allies suck and a war with the USSR would be delayed, giving me and the russkies time to prepare for global domination

Quote Originally Posted by ahmed5 View Post
    well the idea was the Allies suck and a war with the USSR would be delayed, giving me and the russkies time to prepare for global domination
    That idea would not work; once Wehrmechat finish France they always left it undefence, hence give American a fairly good chance to land 40 divisions in France without any oppose. Sure, Wehrmechat would call in their troop to deal that but generally it would become a stalemate while no one can attack eachothers until American brings in their 100 divisions.

After that, it is a catwalk for Allies.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

In my first campaign as Persia, the Republicans won the war and proved a massive headache for the Axis advance against France. So perhaps consider going allied
    morecuriousthanbold.com

The problem is that Spain has very little front needs to cover against a German attack from France, and Italy cannot launch any amphious attack due to RN.

Also, American, despite their civilial economy at beginning, still has quite a large amount of IC to build a large army before 1939; after 1939, US is simply a beast that can pull out 100 divisions every year.

yeh but i eventually joined comintern, saved the game and thought i'd test a war with the axis. so i declared war on germany and placed all my troops on the tiny border to occupied france, advanced my men in and they got arse raped, despite being heavily upgraded with anti-tank and outnumbering the gerries by about 5 to 1

USA never joined in (forgot which year i gave up the game) and UK didn't do much - USSR took most of the damage (they wouldnt reposition their men even after beating the finnish)
    Last edited by ahmed5; September 15, 2009 at 03:11 PM.

I already warn you that...

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    I already warn you that...
    which part?

Quote Originally Posted by ahmed5 View Post
    which part?
    1. Don't join Comintern.

2. Don't jump out your position and attack German-France.

3. Build your officers up to 200%.