Thread: Religion

HIC SVNT LEONES's Avatar Senator

Default Religion

What is the purpose of the ability to recruit many different religious buildings? I think it is a good idea to be able to do that. I mean, it'd be cool to set it up so one could build any religious building as almost any faction so you could 'convert' - but after the one building is gone it'd be better if I couldn't build anymore buildings.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: Religion

Quote Originally Posted by HIC SVNT LEONES View Post
    What is the purpose of the ability to recruit many different religious buildings? I think it is a good idea to be able to do that. I mean, it'd be cool to set it up so one could build any religious building as almost any faction so you could 'convert' - but after the one building is gone it'd be better if I couldn't build anymore buildings.
    It is to try to reflect the diversity of religions at the time and the tensions that were created around different religions. Of course, you as leader have a choice in which religious buildings you decide to build but be wary as your own religion and those of your governors and generals will have an impatc on conversion of the general populace.

I almost passed out upon seeing how many religous buildings you could build...I guess I am going to have to be much more careful and pay more attention to it.
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

persianfan247's Avatar Senator

Hey, there is one thing that confused me, in my Roman campaigns, there are Generals who are followers of Mithra and this traits says converts to Mithraism, but the Mithric temple convert to Paganism, wat up?

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by persianfan247 View Post
    Hey, there is one thing that confused me, in my Roman campaigns, there are Generals who are followers of Mithra and this traits says converts to Mithraism, but the Mithric temple convert to Paganism, wat up?
    That's right. That is because Mithrasism, Neo Paganism and Paganism all come "Paganism". Like Arianism and Christianity (Nicean) come under "Christianity".

You will find that if you construct particular religious building, such as a manichaeism meeting place, will have negative effects on other religions already in the settlement. So, for example a manichaeism meeting place will have the following effects:

religious_belief manichaeism 3
    religious_belief christianity -1
    religious_belief arianism -1
    religious_belief buddhism -1
    religious_belief pagan -1
    religious_belief zoroastrian -1

A large jewish temple will have the following effects:

religious_belief judaism 3
    religious_belief arianism -2
    religious_belief christianity -2
    religious_belief pagan -2
    religious_belief zoroastrian -2

If you look at the export_descr_buildings.txt file you will see the effect that different religious buildings have on the conversion rates of other buildings.

Also, some of the religions are region restricted, so you will not find Hindu or Buddhist temples in Gaul for example.

In addition, a character can become disillusioned with their particular religion and may convert to another.

Cheers