Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum II: Pictures

Default Re: Roma Surrectum II: Pictures

Actually, this is possibly tone`s best work so far imo.

1. This perception of the "fatness" on part of the hoplite is due to a narrowed shoulder. The color contrast from that makes him look fat.
    2. Fat was actually desired on part of soldiers. While Vegetius does make it known that a soldier shouldn't be too fat in De Re Militari, he does not make out a soldier as being in the peak of their physical fitness. In fact, when describing the first Roman encounter with the Gauls, Tacitus (not sure on this one), describes the Romans at being freaked out by the physical fitness of the Gauls. Fat, particularly around the torso, would serve to double as not only extra cushioning against the armor, but also an added layer of protection of the vital organs.
    3. The narrowed shoulder piece on the curaiss gives a greater range of motion and mobility for the individual soldier, which increases fighting efficiency.
    4. Another reason for the perceived fatness is the lack of tunic sleeves presented in the picture. Again, it has to do with color contrast rather than model.
    5. The pseudo-corinthian helmet did not all look like a corinthian helmet hanging precariously on top of the wearer's head. It more resembles the helmets the Triarii had in RS1.6.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

I think these models are perfectly fine. why change some tiny thing now when the mod is almost out?
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Menumorut's Avatar Ducenarius

Ah, sorry I did not want to sound so bad. I not speak English very well.
    His face is more than perfect it worked fine and very detailed.(A face like this you see in NapoleonTW maybe)
    Helmet, shield and armor same.
    Well let me explain something like: when I saw this unit comparable to a car like Ferrari and using wheel volkswagen...-I do not comment here others work never - but you know how it feels when you see a Ferrari with volkswagen wheels I react a little out of control just to attract attention, but if someone can make such a face, helmet, armor, shield so well detailed he could not miss that detail so, I get it the game-engine are old.

P/S: Unit still looks cool.

»MY GRAPHIC WORKSHOP« UNDER THE PARONAGE OF G☼D HIMSELF »MY ROMEII FAN ART«

Cannibalking's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: RSII pictures

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Probably BI or Alex as the AI acts a little more intelligently.
    Here's the post I made about the launcher:

WOW, Tone this looks very organized. Awesome.

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: RSII pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibalking View Post
    WOW, Tone this looks very organized. Awesome.
    You like to A-LOT don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain118 View Post
    1. This perception of the "fatness" on part of the hoplite is due to a narrowed shoulder. The color contrast from that makes him look fat.
    2. Fat was actually desired on part of soldiers. While Vegetius does make it known that a soldier shouldn't be too fat in De Re Militari, he does not make out a soldier as being in the peak of their physical fitness. In fact, when describing the first Roman encounter with the Gauls, Tacitus (not sure on this one), describes the Romans at being freaked out by the physical fitness of the Gauls. Fat, particularly around the torso, would serve to double as not only extra cushioning against the armor, but also an added layer of protection of the vital organs.
    3. The narrowed shoulder piece on the curaiss gives a greater range of motion and mobility for the individual soldier, which increases fighting efficiency.
    4. Another reason for the perceived fatness is the lack of tunic sleeves presented in the picture. Again, it has to do with color contrast rather than model.
    5. The pseudo-corinthian helmet did not all look like a corinthian helmet hanging precariously on top of the wearer's head. It more resembles the helmets the Triarii had in RS1.6.

A couple inches of fat around the abdomen or torso are going to do precisely nothing against any of the weapons of the age.

The disadvantage that they bring of vastly reduced stamina and strength wouldn't even compare. Soldiers of the ancient world always exaggerated and bragged about their physical abilities, we wouldn't have the Olympics if not for the Hellenistic obsession with fitness.

The sources I found on the pseudo-Corinthian helmet do look a lot more like the old Triarii ones than the new Corinthian-hat models.

Quote Originally Posted by Invigilator View Post
    A couple inches of fat around the abdomen or torso are going to do precisely nothing against any of the weapons of the age.
    Against stabbing weapons? No, of course not. But against a slashing weapon, that extra inch of fat becomes a lot more effective.

The disadvantage that they bring of vastly reduced stamina and strength wouldn't even compare. Soldiers of the ancient world always exaggerated and bragged about their physical abilities, we wouldn't have the Olympics if not for the Hellenistic obsession with fitness.
    Just because there's an extra inch or two of fat around the torso doesn't necessarily mean vastly reduced stamina and strength. In fact, gladiators were recently discovered to have been fat rather than the ripped Russel Crowe depiction:

http://www.archaeology.org/0811/abst...gladiator.html

from the article:

"Gladiators needed subcutaneous fat," Grossschmidt explains. "A fat cushion protects you from cut wounds and shields nerves and blood vessels in a fight." Not only would a lean gladiator have been dead meat, he would have made for a bad show. Surface wounds "look more spectacular," says Grossschmidt. "If I get wounded but just in the fatty layer, I can fight on," he adds. "It doesn't hurt much, and it looks great for the spectators."

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Siegfriedfr's Avatar Semisalis

Historical accuracy is the godwin point of Rome's mods discussions.

Claiming that an armor is "accurate" because based on figurative paintings is not very sensible.

But then where else would you base it on? It's not like full sets of classical era armors have survived to this day. Most of what we find of segmentata armor is largely the clasps used to bind the metal strips.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Crusades

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

This is one of the most absolutly amazing mod i have had the pleasure of seeing, FOR ANY GAME and i really do find it annoying how people complain about this little subject and that, i mean its fair, but once they give you an answer take it, they have been at it for years now and the damn is ready to burst, i think at this point they really know what they made.

Surely given that c. 60-80% of loses in an ancient army were from non-combat causes, additional fat kept your soliders alive longer in an environment with sudden rampant disease and questionable logisitics?

I think the picture only looks a little tubby becuase with his arms down you have no idea of the muscles between the pectorals and the armpit (can't recall what they're called) and the arm and shoulder. Also, there seems to be an optical illusion regarding the narrow shoulder owing to the static nature of the picture

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Lieutenant View Post
    Surely given that c. 60-80% of loses in an ancient army were from non-combat causes, additional fat kept your soliders alive longer in an environment with sudden rampant disease and questionable logisitics?
    Not to mention cold regions. I'd wager the chubbier legionaries were very much envied by their comrades serving on Hadrian's wall during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle_Bombs View Post
    Not to mention cold regions. I'd wager the chubbier legionaries were very much envied by their comrades serving on Hadrian's wall during the winter.
    Given the amount of forced marches and engineering masterpieces that legionaries on campaign usually engaged in, I doubt that many of them would not be fit. Sure, they wouldn't have 6 packs, but they would definitely be fit and have superior stamina to militamen who just stand around in a village all day.

Of course on the other hand they could be malnourished and exhausted from all the work, if they didn't have enough rations or rest. But chubby? Doesn't seem possible in the circumstances.

Aquila Romana's Avatar Libertus

Look at some of the Rugby players. Yes, I know a lot of them are ripping now (not like it used to be, eh? :/ ) but if you actually look at some of the props, you can see they are muscular, but they still have fat on their bodies. This doesn't make them any more unfit. In my experience, you need to be a lot fitter to be a forward than a back.
    I myself have a layer of fat but that didn't make me any less fit than the others (don't play it anymore - going to take up reenacting instead ^^). In fact, we did a 'fitness test' (basically a continuous run around the pitch, and the backs dropped out much sooner than the forwards (even though we were probably slower on average).

Just goes to show, just because your toned doesn't mean your fitter than those who are not.

However, with the Romans, I think it would be difficult to say whether they would generally have had layers of fat or not, because they were continuously training and building etc. I think that a legionary would deffinately have considerably toned arms and legs, however I do not believe he would have had a six-pack, on the contrary they probably would have had some fat. Its also been proven that its physically healthier to have a layer of fat (obviously not a BIG one) than none at all.

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

^I was about to suggest Rugby players as an example myself, but just look at Ray Mears - he's fitter than I could ever hope to be but he doesn't exactly look it. It's like my brother, he has very well toned arms, since he works out alot, but he has a fantastic belly on him as well.

Besides, I'm sure there were chest adjustments on segmentata armour for a reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Aquila Romana View Post
    ...you can see they are muscular, but they still have fat on their bodies. This doesn't make them any more unfit.
    I agree!
    Just take a look at the best fighter in the world

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting....."The Last Emperor"......
    >>>>>>>>Fedor Emelianenko!<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited by Arges; August 22, 2010 at 12:22 AM.

He´s chubby!!should I call him The Last Chubby Emperor?
    hey apple !!

Timefool's Avatar Primicerius

Best of the UFC circuit . I think any wrestler could dominate him though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    He´s chubby!!should I call him The Last Chubby Emperor?
    hey apple !!
    I'm sure if you watch a few videos with this chubby guy you'll check your closet before going to bed... just kidding, in fact he is a great, truly accomplished sportsmen...the best at what he's doing...

And also, he's not competing in the UFC......UFC is more like WWE nowadays...oh, btw, don't forget he's a JUDO and SAMBO champion....and some very accomplished wrestlers, like Kevin Randleman, got their but kicked when they stood against him So here we have a great warrior many would think not looking good enough to be the type of a hero...

Kinda offtop, but sports is a great subject (anyway better then complaining about "postponed" RS2 release)