Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Flags of NTW

Icon3 The Flags of NTW

I am here to ask the Creative Assembly to make sure you get the flags right in
    Napoleon Total War. The Napoleonic Wars had so many different flags for every
    regiment, so I hope that you make a random generating system that puts random
    flags on the flagpole on the battlefield. Like a grenadiers of the guard could have 10
    different flags saying in French on the flag "L'Empereur des Francais, Le 1eme Grenadiers
    de la Garde" etc....

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/fr%5Er_1e.html
    http://www.seawarstore.com/gallery/S...ntalJersey.jpg
    http://tmg110.tripod.com/british5.htm
    http://www.napolun.com/mirror/web2.a...n/flag1812.gif
    http://www.bigbattalions.com/re_Brit_White_mstr.jpg
    http://www.warflag.com/napflags/html/flags.htm - This is the most important one!

Here are some links to help you out! Just looked them up on google!
    Last edited by Invictus XII; September 11, 2009 at 02:11 AM.
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Default Re: The Flags of NTW

Sounds like a great idea!
    He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat - Napoleon Bonaparte

VVILHELM DUX's Avatar Tiro

It is a great idea but I doubt it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by VVILHELM DUX View Post
    It is a great idea but I doubt it will happen.
    Yes, I think so to, but the main idea of this is so they get the flags historicaly accurate!
    To get the flags accurate and give an idea of what nation CA should put in their too. But mostly historical flags, not the mostly modern day ones we saw in Empire TW.
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Great Idea and Great websites mate
    Good job +rep

If only CA could take notice of this....
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Beale View Post
    Yes, I think so to, but the main idea of this is so they get the flags historicaly accurate!
    To get the flags accurate and give an idea of what nation CA should put in their too. But mostly historical flags, not the mostly modern day ones we saw in Empire TW.
    well Empire certainly didn't contain the most modern day flags. And you gotta understand that the reason CA doesn't put in alot of these other flags is that they also have to consider people who would otherwise have no idea what some of these flags represent.
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Well in that case, how hard can it be for them to put their mouse over the flag and it will come up with the nations name, Even still most flags are easy toreconise I think. So I am still hoping for historical flags.

Creative Assembly, PLEASE ANSWER TO THIS THREAD!!!!

It would also be nice to see the right number of flags per regiment. Most had two flags, the National(Kings) Colour, and the Regimental (Colonels) Colour.

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

Well in that case, how hard can it be for them to put their mouse over the flag and it will come up with the nations name, Even still most flags are easy toreconise I think. So I am still hoping for historical flags.

Creative Assembly, PLEASE ANSWER TO THIS THREAD!!!!
    It's all about immediate recognition. Not just while playing the game, but from a marketing and business perspective, too.

Its all too easy to lose sight of the fact that this game is NOT made for the hardcore history buff market.
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    It would also be nice to see the right number of flags per regiment. Most had two flags, the National(Kings) Colour, and the Regimental (Colonels) Colour.
    Yep, correct as you can see in one of the links up the top!

And I still would like to see historical flags, it would give CA a better reputation amoung history fans and I can only see postives to having historical flags

Moved to the Historical Research Center.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Makoy View Post
    the reason CA doesn't put in alot of these other flags is that they also have to consider people who would otherwise have no idea what some of these flags represent.
    I think this is a very dumb reason, honestly. It would take 1 hour of work to make some sort of "flag encyclopedia" and insert it into the game somewhere, if this really was a problem. There's only two possible reasons for putting incorrect flags (flags are much easier to model than uniforms too), and they are: lack of budget and laziness/ineptness. After the ETW debacle I'm really more prone to believe it is the second reason, as mods that came shortly after fixed the flag problem in minimal time and with little effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Makoy View Post
    And you gotta understand that the reason CA doesn't put in alot of these other flags is that they also have to consider people who would otherwise have no idea what some of these flags represent.
    Its things like this that make me glad I'm not American. I just find it so insulting that American companies consider their own people to be so stupid, that they cannot understand simple things like the meaning of flags and so have to lower the IQ level of their products to what they perceive to be the limitations of the US audience.

I can't see any reason for it part from the false perception perpetrated by their own media, most American's I know are perfectly capable of assimilating information if its actually presented to them logically. The fact, that the US media feeds them a constant diet of rubbish because they don't think they are capable, merely denies them the opportunity to understand the truth.

I'm sure there are a lot of Americans interested enough in the period to be as appalled as me if the Spanish,for instance,appear again in NTW with their modern flag.These days a quick google can find the most obscure Napoleonic flags. I even found some for the Prussian Reserve-Infanterie which I had been missing on my miniatures for years.
    Anyway there are plenty of ignorant people in UK. Recently some squadie in a pub was bragging England was the only country never to have lost a war.When a few people pointed out that was obviously wrong ,it nearly came to a punch up.
    Last edited by Jihada; September 19, 2009 at 10:17 AM.

I'm sure your right, but apparently American companies don't agree and insist on dumbing down products for their own populations benefit.

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

I would be already content if we would at least get National flags correct, let alone regimental ones.
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebusitanus View Post
    I would be already content if we would at least get National flags correct, let alone regimental ones.
    I would honestly be, very, very surprised if we got regimental flags at all.

The main reason why i brought this up is because flags where very important during the Napoleonic period. Caputuring the enemies flag was a big deal. Thats why i wanted CA to make sure they are correct!

The main reason why i brought this up is because flags where very important during the Napoleonic period. Caputuring the enemies flag was a big deal. Thats why i wanted CA to make sure they are correct!
    It seems unlikely that they will. The main reason being that neither uniforms or flags are unit specific. There simply isn't anyway of storing such unit specific data in the unit records on the database.

If there was, then we would be able to decide not only which flag the unit would carry, but also what colour coats, breeches, facings and style of uniform they wore. That would indeed be brilliant but I'll be surprised if CA actually implement something that useful.

The next logical step would be to hold the various flags and uniform styles in a seperate reference table, so that players/modders could define their own templates. Again, it would be a massive boon for the players, but would somewhat undermine CA's 'lets sell the suckers new units policy'.

So, probably not gonna happen.

No, I just want national flags to be historically correct, nothing else! I don't care so much about regimental flags.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast