Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unit descriptions

Default Unit descriptions

In our bid to get this mod finished asap, it'd be great to get some more help with unit description writing. Here is a sample of some units still needing descriptions. If anyone wants to have a go and try and provide one or more descriptions, please go for it.

Obviously any good descriptions will make it into the final mod, and anyone providing some quality descriptions will have the opportunity to join the team:

Ok here are some units requiring descriptions - anyone can have a go at doing descriptions for these. If anyone wants any further details about weapons or whatever, just post here.

1) Early libyan spearmen:

2) Late Libyan spearmen:

3) Iberian skirmishers:

4) Iberian elite scutarii:

5) Gallaeci elite infantry:

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

knight of virtue and valor's Avatar Praefectus
    In the nightmares of my foes (bakersfield, CALI, allright)

Default Re: Unit descriptions

oh I wish I knew more about Carthaginian armies! but I will probably try could you please give me some details about when they are available, what their cost is, where their AOR is, and maybe some attributes like if they are ap or have excellent moral?
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

Early libyans:
    Solid infantry, good morale, disciplined, defence total 27, cost 580

Late libyans (Hannibal's veterans - available early as part of Hannibal's starting army in Italy):
    Solid, excellent morale, disciplined, defence total 32, cost 666

Iberian skirmishers:
    Weak in melee, lowish morale, fast, can hide, defence total 13, cost 271

Elite scutarii:
    Good infantry - throw armour piercing soliferum then attack with falcata, good morale, defence total 27, cost 711

Gallaeci elite infantry:
    Elite infantry - throw armour piercing soliferum then attack with falcata, excellent morale, defence total 31, cost 1060

Are there any cultures you know more about?

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

alright, just let me reach into my miniature library of history books and see if I can give you something. thanks.
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

wow, those are good freaking links. reading...

Gaius Omarius's Avatar Libertus

These Spearmen can't form a Phalanx in RS2, right?

Also, I'm disappointed that they're no longer Liby-Phoenician, being from Lebanon myself, ancient homeland of the Phoenicians

Ok. I'm writing a historical description for the Lybian Spearmen(early and late)

I've got a unit description done.

T-Rex Hoplite

Before men, there were giant lizards. And now that they're back, they're back with a vengeance.

<<Un collègue; un ami.>>

Quote Originally Posted by Theoroshia View Post
    I've got a unit description done.

T-Rex Hoplite

Before men, there were giant lizards. And now that they're back, they're back with a vengeance.
    Haha.

And their starting province is China.

And you get just enough time to form some semblance of an empire before it's savagely ripped apart by endless hordes of merciless giant lizards streaming in from the East.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Omarius View Post
    And you get just enough time to form some semblance of an empire before it's savagely ripped apart by endless hordes of merciless giant lizards streaming in from the East.

LOL! Nice sentence!
    REP+

Haha.

And their starting province is China.

Nuts!
    They guessed the mystery faction!
    This hoplite should have greaves, and a shield since he has small hands.

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarrus View Post
    Ok. I'm writing a historical description for the Lybian Spearmen(early and late)
    Excellent. Thanks.

@Gaius Omarius - I'll find the reference that explains why we're not calling them that.

Timefool's Avatar Primicerius

Are these all the units you have left to give the info on? If not, can you give a basic list of the others and if anyone wants to help with them then give more info on that particular unit?

Here we go, this is most of them, excluding the above (although one or two of these are being snapped up by our description writing team every day):

Celtic heavy swordsmen
    Samues swordsmen (Samues is a celtic tribe near Massalia, and form part of the free Greek unit roster for Massalia)
    Kushan cataphract
    Chorasmian heavy cavalry
    Saka elite cataphract
    Iberian cataphract (Caucasian iberia)
    Arabian archer
    Mardian horse archer
    Sarmatian Levy Spearmen
    Saka Horse Archers
    Alan Horse Archers
    Siracae Noble Archers
    Saka Noble Cavalry
    Aorsi Noble Cavalry
    Cantabrian Bipenni Axeman
    Arevaci Spearman
    Arevaci Medium Cavalry
    Arevaci Heavy Cavalry
    Lusitanian Elite Scutarii
    Falarica Infantry
    Lusitanian Elite Caetrati
    Iberian Light Cavalry
    Lusitanian Light Cavalry
    Iberian Scutarii Cavalry
    Aquitani Light Horsemen
    Iberian Medium Cavalry
    Gallaeci Noble Cavalry
    Iberian Heavy Cavalry
    Gallaeci Armored General
    Boiotian epilektoi hoplite
    Boiotian ekdromoi hoplite
    Pergamon Ekdromoi Hoplite
    Lucani Infantry
    Libyphoenician cavalry
    Last edited by tone; September 14, 2009 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarrus View Post
    LOL! Nice sentence!
    REP+
    Thanks
    (though I'd be even more grateful if the rep actually filterred through, but never mind )

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    @Gaius Omarius - I'll find the reference that explains why we're not calling them that.
    That'd be an interesting read, if you do find it! I'm not very knowledgable in this particular area (Carthage etc).

RJA's Avatar Semisalis

I'm sorry if this proposal offends anyone, but maybe you could use some of the unit descriptions from EB. That is if they are using the same unit. Or use parts of them as an inspiration. With the consent of the EB team ofcourse. That might save you some work.

RJA
    If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences
    William Thomas

From Cannae The experience of Battle in the Second Punic War by Gregory Daly, p91.

In 218, according to Polybius, Hannibal had a force of 450 Liby-Phoenician and Libyan cavalry stationed in Spain (Poly 3:33-45). Livy believes taht the force was exclusively Liby-Phoenician (Liv 21:22). There is no record of Liby-Phoenicians having served under Hannibal in his Italian campaign, but considering the fact that so many Liby-Phoenician cavalry were introducd to Spain that year, it seems likely that Hannibal's own expeditionary force included some Liby-Phoenicians.
    Although certain modern writers believe the African line infantry to have been either Liby-Phoenician or a combination of Libyans and Liby-Phoenicians (Connolly, Healy, Warry), there is no evidence that the Liby-Phoenicians ever served as infantry in Carthaginian armies.
    There's more here about Polybius referring to the native African troops as Libyans: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=q...age&q=&f=false

Basically the distinction being made is that there were Liby-Phoenician cavalry but not infantry (who were Libyans).

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    From Cannae The experience of Battle in the Second Punic War by Gregory Daly, p91.

There's more here about Polybius referring to the native African troops as Libyans: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=q...age&q=&f=false

Basically the distinction being made is that there were Liby-Phoenician cavalry but not infantry (who were Libyans).
    Fair enough, and thanks for the reference

At first glance the concept of a mixture of Liby-Phoenicians and Libyans seemed ludicrous (what's that, then, 3/4 Libyan, 1/4 Phoenician armed forces? Maybe they also mixed Liby-Liby-Phoenicians with Gallo-Hispano-Libyan contingents?), but reading on a bit in the source clears that up

These Spearmen can't form a Phalanx in RS2, right?

Also, I'm disappointed that they're no longer Liby-Phoenician, being from Lebanon myself, ancient homeland of the Phoenicians
    you are aware that the "Liby" bit refers to Libya, not Lebannon, right?
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast