Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NTW = mega-patch?

Default NTW = mega-patch?

So if I understand everything correctly NTW will add things to ETW. That is all good, but what if I don't want to buy NTW? Is NTW just a mega-patch in a box with a price tag?

Elyrioth's Avatar Senator

Default Re: NTW = mega-patch?

Obviosly not. A mega patch would not have 2 narrative campaigns and a GC......
    Na Géanna Fiáine

Nope its not a patch!

But buying it will give you a mega-patch for ETW...

We actually have almost no idea how Empire and Napoleon will relate with each other. All we know is that the new graphics and some technologies will carry over.

But we do know that Napoleon is more than just a patch, as it is looking like it will add a significant amount of content. It's not like it's just Empire rehashed with bugs fixed and better AI.

mega patch, mega price tag. so much for "continued support" of ETW that was promised in the august 24th press release. i guess they forgot to mention you'd need to pay for that continued support. good thing no amount of support can fix this game, ergo i don't need to pay for more.
    Last edited by dmcheatw; September 09, 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Blofeld2k View Post
    So if I understand everything correctly NTW will add things to ETW. That is all good, but what if I don't want to buy NTW? Is NTW just a mega-patch in a box with a price tag?
    NTW is a stand alone game but will add things to ETW. Technically its not an expansion so it cant really be called a patch either.

Yes, its defently not a mega patch for ETW. For what i have read, I have found that this game is completely different to ETW, much bigger in contents and a bigger variety of everything. The released information says that it is going to be an amazing game! The campaigns sound like fun the the huge variety in units is great. Personally, I can't wait.
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Let me try to rephrase since some of you misunderstood my OP. I know that NTW is not a patch, ok?

I agree that it is not a mega-patch, but a patch with benefits?

However, if I decide not to buy NTW, how will I get the features/patches/additions that presumably will be added if I buy NTW? Should the extras be made available as DLC? For free?

It would seem that the game will have additional content. Not a fix patch. They have made no mention of additional fixes added.
    As for DLC for free. It would never happen. Why would they? It is additional insentive to purchanse the game, the sole reason it adds anytihng the ETW is to try and improve sales.
    Na Géanna Fiáine

Ok, maybe it's just me over interpreting things. I guess fixes and additional content are two different things. What I'm trying to get at is the feeling that they force ETW owners to pay for the things in NTW that should have been in ETW to begin with. Kind of like by keeping certain things out of ETW they made sure that people would buy NTW in order to get a complete game. Like ETW is a light version without the added stuff from NTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathofjams View Post
    It's not like it's just Empire rehashed with bugs fixed and better AI.
    It's not? What about it screams new game? They're going to mini-campaigns (RoI was terrible in my opinion). The engine is pretty much the same and they're removing certain types of content and just making other content prettier.

Sounds like same game to me? Oh, and if the CAI/BAI is fixed in NTW and ETW's is not, it'll show their shoddy business practices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Beale View Post
    The released information says that it is going to be an amazing game!
    Oh... is that like the >90% reviews the game received when pretty much everyone that received the game on the release date couldn't even start the game. Or how about the missing naval invasions? Guess that slipped every reviewer's mind? The broken sieges? Do I need to go on? CA released AWESOME information about ETW too... they're liars. Plain and simple. I'm not trusting a single word they say.
    Last edited by SirVulf; September 10, 2009 at 07:22 AM.
    QX9650 - 780i SLI - two GTX280 - 8GB 6400C5DHX - X-Fi Platinum - Galaxy 1KW PSU - Antec 900 - APC 1500 BackUPS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Steeltrap's NTW Analogy
    Quote Originally Posted by johncage View Post
    It's all about money.
    This is what the industry has been reduced to. Artistry and pride in one's craft is an afterthought.
    - Bra-F'ing-vo! Great statement.

This is very creative by the Creative Assembly. They charge full price for modifications of existing products. It is a way of making more money for profits and for supporting future production. It is only logical that the turnover from one game and then nothing for many years would not support a company like CA. It's creative markerting and it's all about how they can push the limits of the customers by charging for content in a completely new way.

It all comes down to people like me and you, thinking "Will I pay for this cool stuff?" and at least I think I will. The Napoleon whatever sounds awesome. It's like... I give CA some more money, and they give me more content. It's just consumption!

Quote Originally Posted by dmcheatw View Post
    mega patch, mega price tag. so much for "continued support" of ETW that was promised in the august 24th press release. i guess they forgot to mention you'd need to pay for that continued support. good thing no amount of support can fix this game, ergo i don't need to pay for more.
    Empire is still being patched. 1.4 is on its way at the moment, and my guess is that we'll get at least one more after that to coincide with the release of the multiplayer campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Elyrioth View Post
    As for DLC for free. It would never happen.
    It already has. 1.3 came with new units, remember? And 1.4 will have new historical battles.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVulf View Post
    It's not? What about it screams new game? They're going to mini-campaigns (RoI was terrible in my opinion).
    So what if they're mini-campaigns? Even if they're terrible, they're new content. Just not content you like. Oh, and it has a grand campaign which is just as long as Empire's. And from what we've heard there are several significant new gameplay features, such as the attrition system.

Napoleon, with its smaller scale, is, to me, sounding like it will play quite differently to Empire. It might not be better, but it will be different.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVulf View Post
    removing certain types of content and just making other content prettier
    And? I'd call that changing the game. If it was Empire with more content then you might have a point. But they're changing the focus. And that's why it's a standalone game rather than an expansion.

[QUOTE=Deathofjams;5936342]It already has. 1.3 came with new units, remember? And 1.4 will have new historical battles.
    QUOTE]
    I am not saying the do not give free content. What I am saying is they will never give the additional content for ETW available in the fully priced Game NTW for free seperate to the game. It would kill one of the selling points.
    Na Géanna Fiáine

If ETW was finished, I'd be all supportive of the new game/expansion. However, AND THIS HAPPENS EVERY BLOODY TIME, ETW is bugged to hell still with a dead AI
    and AS USUAL, they move onto a new cash cow. Its the repeated spit in the face that gets me. I bought 3 of their titles so far and this is repeated time and again.
    No more.

[QUOTE=Elyrioth;5936366]
    It already has. 1.3 came with new units, remember? And 1.4 will have new historical battles.
    QUOTE]
    I am not saying the do not give free content. What I am saying is they will never give the additional content for ETW available in the fully priced Game NTW for free seperate to the game. It would kill one of the selling points.
    Hence my point, they are charging us for updates to an old title...

Whatever happened to Empire's multiplayer campain?

Empire is still being patched. 1.4 is on its way at the moment, and my guess is that we'll get at least one more after that to coincide with the release of the multiplayer campaign.
    no, they are making a patch to create a smokescreen so people (like you?) can think they are patching the game when they aren't really. a patch would be new MP maps, a patch would be multiplayer campaign, a patch would be fixing sige battle pathfinding, a patch would be addressing one of the actual, unanamious concerns of the community that get voiced daily ad nauseum. 1.4 is someone named jack lusted opening a spread sheet that has the numerical values for all the ships in it, changing those numbers, saving the file, then releasing "patch" 1.4 that tweaks naval battles!!! because we all know the community is screaming for naval balance changes!!!!

sorry i'm not that obtuse. patch 1.4, excluding stability and compatibility fixes, has bout 30 minutes of actual work involved. they could have released it already, but then they'd have to figure out what content to put in "patch" 1.5. so they space out the release of these pseudo patches, further creating an illusion of support.
    Last edited by dmcheatw; September 10, 2009 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcheatw View Post
    no, they are making a patch to create a smokescreen so people (like you?) can think they are patching the game when they aren't really. a patch would be new MP maps, a patch would be multiplayer campaign, a patch would be fixing sige battle pathfinding, a patch would be addressing one of the actual, unanamious concerns of the community that get voiced daily ad nauseum. 1.4 is someone named jack lusted opening a spread sheet that has the numerical values for all the ships in it, changing those numbers, saving the file, then releasing "patch" 1.4 that tweaks naval battles!!! because we all know the community is screaming for naval balance changes!!!!

sorry i'm not that obtuse. patch 1.4, excluding stability and compatibility fixes, has bout 30 minutes of actual work involved. they could have released it already, but then they'd have to figure out what content to put in "patch" 1.5. so they space out the release of these pseudo patches, further creating an illusion of support.
    1.4 is far more than either the naval or land battle balancing changes. The main focus of the update has been improvements to the campaign AI, diplomacy and to many issues in battles. The reason we have been taking our time with 1.4 is to ensure that the AI is improved. That is not something that can done quickly, and has to have a lot of time devoted to it.

This is ignoring of course the crash fixes and many other bug fixes that have gone into 1.4, the 2 new historical battles and the addition of the ability of missile cavalry to fire and reload on the move.

The Multiplayer Campaign Beta is still coming for Empire, that has not changed.
    Last edited by Jack Lusted; September 10, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast