Thread: Greek Campaign... possible?

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Greek Campaign... possible?

So yeah, I know the invading Macedonians are meant to be a fair bit of a challenge but honestly, limitless hordes is a bit too much for me.

I held off a battle where I was outnumbered by 3 to 1. Then straight after it I'm forced into a battle with almost 2000 Macedonians! I had two turns to mass an army capable of defending my lands I needed a backbone in my force so phalangites was ideal, I also needed to be able to take on heavy armoured units at range so the heavy peltast also were needed.

On M/M difficulty, I've just witnessed a heavy cavalry unit defeat a peltast unit... fair enough but then run straight into and defeat an almost full unit of Greek Hoplite.

I deem this campaign impossible on VH/VH difficulty that is without losing all your cities on the Greek Inland as you could probably stay at that island with the colossus until late game and just take over then.

It doesn't seem very fair though if the Ai is spawned with 2 big armies instantly... I suppose should I of defeated that army then they would of had nothing left to throw at me but, I had no offensive option and the only defensive option I had was to cowar in the corner of the map and try to hold off all their forces however, I was easily overwhelmed.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Default Re: Greek Campaign... possible?

It's a tough campaign, I agree. You don't mention whether AI bonuses are turned on or off. Of course, turning them off will help a bit. Also, unless you are very experienced at playing RTW and are happy to use AI exploits, I definitely recommend not playing on VH/VH. Many factions are all but unplayable on VH/VH. As for opening moves, you must, absolutely must take Corinth and Thebes in the first two or three turns. Taking Thebes will provide you a good point to defend for some turns. While taking Corinth provides income and closes your borders.

I don't know how familiar you are with Extended Cultures, but you may want to pick a different faction to begin with. Just so you can become familiar with the battles and campaigns.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

XGM is my second favourite mod so I thought I would try out extended cultures. I have the Ai bonusses turned off. Corinth to be fair had nothing I was just busy defending my lands.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Also, you should take into account that balancing is still in progress.
    As GCS you are encouraged to rely on a combination of hoplites and heavy peltast/thureophoroi for better mobility.

Future versions will change GCS rosters quite a bit so it will be a definitely different experience.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Anakarsis's Avatar Biarchus

With 0 construction time for all troops, as i like to play, its pretty simple. The bad side is that if you are playing with other faction, the Greeks OR the Macedonians dissapear in less than 10 years.