Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domination Mundi Faction Preview 1 : The Mali Empire

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

Default Domination Mundi Faction Preview 1 : The Mali Empire

Article first written in french for Mali researchs on MundusBellicus
    Units, roster, models, textures, researchs done by Enguerrand

For many people today, Africa history begins at the very moment of the european colonization. Although, Africa has known many other civilizations before...and the most glorious of them may be the Mali Empire.

Mali Empire

In the XIIIth century, because of the Almoravids, of the Berber tribes comming from Sahara, et and recurring droughts which urged these inhabitants to find refuge in the South, in wet zones, the empire of Ghana crumbled in several small kingdoms among which the Sosso Empire and the Mande Tribes. The Sosso, under the Soumaoro Kanté’s reign, tried to exploit the advantage of the situation to establish itself as the leader in the area. The attempt makes a success, but it was for a short term.
    Indeed, approximately seven years after, in 1235, Sundiata Keita, the new King of the Mande Tribes, command an army to made up of 10 000 knights and 100 000 infantrymen and triumph over his rival.
    From this moment, nothing can’t stop the Soundiata Keita's conquests. He conquers all the kingdoms of Mali which he unifies to form a great empire. The Empire of Mali.
    So, he becomes "Mansa", the King of Kings, and his Empire will know a period of peace and prosperity.

Sundiata Keita establishes his capital, Niani, on the current border of Mali and Guinea. To maintain the unity and the smooth rfunctioning of the territory, the emperor promulgates rules; he adapts his governance according to his time. He respects plurality and diversity of each ethnic groups who compose the territory. He operates finally profound social transformations.
    He institutes various social classes: classes of noble persons, various classes of free people and dependent people. Later, in the XVth century, merchants and scholars come to enrich the social links and to fill the gap between the nobility and the lower classes. The political power is widely decentralized. This decentralization is the fact of Mansa Uli, the eldest son of Sundiata Keita. The center of the Empire is an area subjected to the direct administration of the King, the rest of the imperial territory being divided into several provinces. Each province is controlled by a Diamanatigui (or Farba). This character acts as governor of a province.
    Provinces themselves are divided in districts and in villages. Within the village, the authority is treated on a hierarchical basis. A political leader, who is sometimes also the religious one, rules the villageous community.
    The Farba, guarantor of the authority of the King, oversees the authority of the village leaders and relays the authority of the Emperor.
    The Farba takes the tribute intended for the Emperor (taxes) and is even authorized to mobilize people in the event of war. In the suburb of the Empire, there are different kingdoms. These last ones are not related to the central administration. On the other hand, they recognize the supremacy of the Empire and send it tributes regularly.
    The Empire of Mali is well regulated. The sovereigns of Mali built an effective economic and a social system which does not injure the ethnic groups who compose the Empire.
    Many travellers, such Ibn Battuta, praised in the XIVth century, the excellent administration of the Empire. Ibn Battuta also underlines the great faith of the population which goes to the mosque in large number, every Friday.
    The european travellers who go to Mali make the same observation, the Empire of Mali has nothing to envy the most powerful European monarchies.
    There also are many acounts exciting the wealth of the Empire. Indeed, its power rested in particular on the trade of the gold, which allowed the great gold-bearing resources of the region. But the prosperity of the empire also based on the transsaharien trade some copper, some salt and some fabrics.
    Sundiata Keita dies in 1255, probably by drowning. According to the legend, he would have been transformed into hippopotamus.

At the death of Sundiata Keita, some of his sons succeeded to him : Wali (1255 - 1270), Ouati (1270 - 1274), Khalifa (1274 - 1275). Then, it is Abu Bakr (Aboubakari I) (1275 - 1285), grandson of Sundiata Keita who takes the throne.
    With the death of this last one, Sakura, who does not make party of the lineage of family Keïta, seizes the throne and reigns during 15 years, from 1285 to 1300 during which he is going to consolidate the Empire.
    With his death, the descendants of Sundiata Keita find again the power with Gao (1300-1305), then the son of this last one, Mohammed ibn Gao (1305-1310) and finally, his nephew Abu Bakr II (1310-1312). Abu Bakr II became famous by launching two shippings to know the limits of the ocean. Indeed, Ibn Fadl Alla Al Omari reports that Abu Bakr II would have equipped at first two hundred "ships" in order to explore the other side of the Atlantic Ocean; whose no crew would have come back. Then he chartered two other thousand and he took the command of the fleet, but he never came back from his shipping.
    Some historians claim that he would have discovered America.
    The malian tradition then considering him like died, what justified the succession, in this particular case, by his son Kankou Musa.

So, around 1312, Kankou Musa (or Kango Moussa, or Kankan Moussa, or Mansa Moussa), comes to power.
    We know him in particular, by Arabic authors, for his pilgrimage in Mecca (in 1324-1325), where he spent during the trip 10 to 13 tons of gold. The sovereign also took thousands of servants and slaves. He will return with him scholars, artists and storekeepers. These last ones contribute to the creation of a strong link between Mali and Egypt. One of the scholars who accompany the emperor names Abu-Isack-es Saheli. The man, native from the city of Grenada, is the architect of the Mosque of Timbuktu. This last one, like Dao and Djenné become the great cultural and economic centers of the Empire.
    Here is for example the court of Kankou Musa described by one of these contemporaries: "the sultan of this kingdom sits in his palace on a large platform which we call on this country "bembé", on a large ebony bench looking like a throne which would be has the size of a fat and big character. On each side of defenses of elephant placed in front of the other one, cover it.
    He has with him his weapons which are all golden: sword, spear, quiver, bow and arrows. He wears long trousers which are composed of twenty parts and he is alone to wear this pants. Behind him stand around thirty Turkish or other pages, which we buy for him in Cairo.
    One of them, on its left holds a silk parasol surmounted by a cupola and by a golden bird.

The bird has the face of a falcon. His officers sat in circle below him, in two rows, the one to the right the other one to the left; beyond sit the main leaders of his cavalry. In front of him stand still a character who does not leave him and who acts as executioner. Another accompanies him, this one serves as intermediary between the sovereign and his subjects, which we name the herald.

In front of them, people are playing drums. Others are dancing in front sovereign's eyes who have fun with that, they make him smile. Behind him two banners up. Two horses are harnessed, ready to be rise on if he wants to."
    Kankou Musa's reign is the apogee of the Empire, he was a great sovereign whose fame reached all Africa the XIVth century, the Arabian-Berber world and Europe. The Empire of Mali then brings together a big part of territories included between Sahara, the Atlantic Ocean and the Niger.

After the reign of the Emperor Musa, the Empire weaks. The decline of the Empire begins with his successor, Mansa Maghan (his son), who reigned from 1341 to 1360 approximately.
    Follow the reigns of Mansa Suleyman (brother of Musa) and by Kassa, his son.
    Mansa Kassa (1360-1374) crushed the people under a multitude of taxes and spent without counting the resources of the Mali. The Empire was then shaken by a series of fights of succession which led to anarchy and decline. In front of the weakness of the central authority, the vassals proclaimed their independence.
    Musa II tried to reverse the trend, but he did not arrive there unfortunately. According to Ibn Khaldun, during this period of crisis, Musa II even had to sell the gold nugget of the royal treasure. We considered it as the most precious of treasures, like a priceless marvel, because of its rarity.
    At the end of the reign of Musa II, the Empire decomposes, states such as Songhai declare their independence. Mossi and Tuareg invade the East of the country, reducing the territory of the defunct Empire. At the end of the XVIIth century, the Empire of Mali, formerly powerful, does not exist any more.

Sources:
    - informations apporté par Korto dans ce topic.
    - tebawalito.unblog.fr
    - histoire-afrique.org
    - geocities.com
    - wikipedia.org

Various pictures:

Map realized in Spain in 1375 representing Kankou Musa, the Mali emperor, holding a gold nugget.

Maasai.
    http://img119.imageshack.us/my.php?i...0272191hu0.jpg
    (the picture is on the side)

Mesakin Quissayr:
    http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0002av7.jpg
    http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0003fd2.jpg

An Ashanti Knight (an ethnic group in Ghana) :
    http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?image=c...rashantiwe8.jpg

Ouaddaï Knights during the colonial wars :
    http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=c...siersduouk4.jpg

A Zarma Knight (an ethnic group in Niger):
    http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=c...ierzarmazx6.jpg

A Knight of the Bornu Empire (I don’t know which period) :
    http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=c...dubornoupr5.jpg

A Zulu battle axe :
    http://img102.imageshack.us/my.php?image=h...errezulubs3.jpg
    (Although it is not the period concerned, the African battle axes always had this kind of style).

Mosque built under the reign of Kankou if I don’t make a mistake :
    http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2...0djenne9fl0.jpg

An other mosque:
    http://img102.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ersity4nc3.gif

Other sites to be visited for more information about the subject:

Africamaat.com in particular, you mustn't miss this article.

Site containing some information about the history of Africa.

A video about the fortified castles and African chivalry presented by Jean Phillipe Omotunde of "Vérités & Mensonges" ("Truths & Lies ").

Pictures from Mali in game :
    (map is not the one of DM)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Bambara Warrior

Last edited by falcom4ever; May 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM.

Stephan's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Faction Preview 1 : The Mali Empire

nice

Yes, I know that Ishtar is spelled wrong

eskrogh's Avatar Biarchus

looks good...
    If people isnt over the minimum standard of living... lower the standard..
    if there is too much poverty in a sociaty, lower the poverty line... my qoutes... comment them if you will...

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Great work, front page announcement coming soon.

y

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

I love the swords on the first unit!

Great faction!

for some reason those swords, although cool, look really impractical...

Watch some of me replays for RTW http://www.youtube.com/user/TeutonicJoe

great work
    Under the patronage of Nakharar
    DM Multi modding project

cocobongoclub-DJ's Avatar Père fourmois

Indeed... It's an original faction and well-deserved. There's another original feat connected to some "natural" defences for villages which were used at this time. (the use of a concentric "wall" of specifical plants to make like a natural barrier). I will find the link and give it on your forum. (a source from l'arbre celtique).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Under the Noble Patronage of Agisilaos
    CATW Modeller skinner since 2006, now retired - Proud grandfather of Classical-Age Total War, the ancient world in 300 bc...
    http://www.ancient-battles.com

Piptoo's Avatar Civis

It is beautiful! Really awesome work!

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Joe View Post
    for some reason those swords, although cool, look really impractical...
    Maybe but totally real.

great

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Darn Interesting,looking forward!
    +rep and Greetings

TiTiTimmy's Avatar Centenarius

wow they look nice +rep
    Wanted for:
    Breaking and gluing back together and trying to pass off as never being broken in the first place.
    Assault with a weapon that couldn't have possibly been deadly, but unfortunately was

"You know what they say: give a man a fish, and he'll stink up the whole town. Give a man a fishing rod -- see where I'm going here? Give him a fishing rod and he'll poke your eye out."

Rep goes both ways, just leave your name

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

Looking good!

ANd I even understood the French shown on the pre-battle textbox.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Great! Fantastico! Da Capo! Bravo! Let me check out this mod
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

looking good!

EVYATAR's Avatar EvyatarNevoDesign

Quote Originally Posted by Legio View Post
    I love the swords on the first unit!
    yea the sword looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    R.I.P Blackomur | The Shadow of Ishtar | Proud to be israeli
    My Tutorial | My Workshop | I.A.F Web | 2D Artist & Skinner

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Very, very nice!! Damn good work
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

Good work. Empire of Mali is really interesting faction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast