Page 2 of 143 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: A Game of thrones HBO series (may contain spoilers)

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: A game of thrones update

Jaime Lannister needs to be blonder in that pic.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Kewl! There is also an actual airing date? that is awesome! Iv'e gotta watch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

I'm psyched about this, that's a very solid line up for the most part.

Some of the younger ones are of course unknown factors, and that site is a bit overly enthusiastic about them all.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Rhaegar1's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    I'm psyched about this, that's a very solid line up for the most part.

Some of the younger ones are of course unknown factors, and that site is a bit overly enthusiastic about them all.
    yes well that's what you can expect from a fan side I guess

Anyhow, looks wise I have absolutely no problem with anyone, there are no big inconsistencies with the books that can't be solved with a bit of dye. And the older actors really are top notch for a television production.
    'I'll be damned ' Marcellus Wallis

So guys I'd thought I'd link you the final list of cast members for the show

http://www.towerofthehand.com/essays...html?20091017b

Filming of the pilot starts end of this month and considering the excellent cast en the amount of attention it's allready getting before the pilot has even been shot I'd say chances are pretty high HBO will shoot at least an entire season (that is of course assuming they don't really mess up the pilot).

Valus's Avatar Natura, artis magistra

Well to confess I am probably one of the few members on twc who hasnt read any of the books by Martin..
    Hovewer I have for some time now been searching for something new to read as my studies currently are going well and I do have more free time than what I had expected..I havent read fantasy for awhile and the latest being the books by Robert Jordan. How thus A Song of Ice and Fire compare with the Wheel of Time? Is it possible to make some sort of "simple" comparison?
    Under the patronage of Søren
    The proud liege of Mimirswell, Proximus, Rhah, Phaedo and EmperorJulian

Former Moderator and Senatorii
    Member of the House of Caesars

Song of Ice and Fire is better than the Wheel of Time. How to say, the Wheel of Time is for teen audiance.
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf

Quote Originally Posted by white-wolf View Post
    Song of Ice and Fire is better than the Wheel of Time. How to say, the Wheel of Time is for teen audiance.
    Teens, on the whole, aren't patient enough to get through the later books of politics in Wheel of Time.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Teens, on the whole, aren't patient enough to get through the later books of politics in Wheel of Time.
    hehe, I agree with both of you.

While Jordan (and Terry Goodkind even more) just wrote another epic massive fantasy series without much originality during the 90's Martin just hit the fantasy genre from a completely different angle.

Not to say I didn't enjoyed (most) of the wheel of time, but Martin brought a much more realistic and grey world without the uber bad guys trying to make some kind of second mordor out of the world.

I als highly recommend Steven Erikson to you Valus, since GRR Martin seems to be unable to finish he's books Erikson became my new favorite writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar1 View Post

I als highly recommend Steven Erikson to you Valus, since GRR Martin seems to be unable to finish he's books Erikson became my new favorite writer.

Ah, if I could find all the books of Erikson somewhere at net...
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf

Valus's Avatar Natura, artis magistra

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar1 View Post
    hehe, I agree with both of you.

While Jordan (and Terry Goodkind even more) just wrote another epic massive fantasy series without much originality during the 90's Martin just hit the fantasy genre from a completely different angle.

Not to say I didn't enjoyed (most) of the wheel of time, but Martin brought a much more realistic and grey world without the uber bad guys trying to make some kind of second mordor out of the world.

Hopefully I will have the time to read both Martin and Erikson someday, I think I will start with Martin though..
    I hope that he does not linger on with his writing too much and share the same fate as Jordan, that is dying before completing his work..After checking wiki it does seam that A Song of Ice and Fire is rather complicated, atleast I get that image after checking through all the people/organisations etc involved..
    It does remind one of the wars of the roses and other medieval dynastic struggles etc..
    Under the patronage of Søren
    The proud liege of Mimirswell, Proximus, Rhah, Phaedo and EmperorJulian

Former Moderator and Senatorii
    Member of the House of Caesars

Quote Originally Posted by Valus View Post
    Hopefully I will have the time to read both Martin and Erikson someday, I think I will start with Martin though..
    I hope that he does not linger on with his writing too much and share the same fate as Jordan, that is dying before completing his work..After checking wiki it does seam that A Song of Ice and Fire is rather complicated, atleast I get that image after checking through all the people/organisations etc involved..
    It does remind one of the wars of the roses and other medieval dynastic struggles etc..
    I believe Martin's main inspiration source was indeed the war of the roses so your pretty much on spot

Btw guys when the hell is Dance with Dragons coming out ? Wasn't it suppose to be this october ?

Seriously Martin should stop ###king around and get it out pronto!! Then good thing comes for those who wait.

That full cast list seems to be missing the youngest Stark and Gregor Clegane

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Ferguson View Post
    That full cast list seems to be missing the youngest Stark and Gregor Clegane
    This is only the cast list for the pilot and Gregor is not featuring in it, if I'm not mistaken Gregor is not with the king when the visit winterfell. The youngest stark is there off course but will only make a non speaking appearance so I guess he's not that important yet.

With actually seeing these actors, I'm reminded again that Martin uses way too young characters.
    If he's gonna put some romance in, believable combat abilities for the Starks... he's gonna have to skip a few years.
    I mean, Jon Snow is lord of the Wall (don't know the English name for the position) at what? 18?

Eh, you're also dealing with a culture that trains these kids in such skills from the cradle. Having them be competent is acceptable, while they still have the swordmasters like Jaime Lannister being in their thirties...minimum. It's not like they picked their career at 18 and started studying like we did.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

True, true.

Still, I think it's a tad too much.I mean the entire Stark family + Snow is extremely gifted, automatically accepted in positions of extremely high authority, deeply wise,... Only Rickon is actually a kid.

Eh...half of them got killed because for all their talent they sucked at politics.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

If I could have my dream cast, I'd choose Viggo Mortensen as Eddard Stark, Daniel Craig as Jaime Lannister, Robert Downey Jr as King Robert. Strangely enough, I don't have that many leading women in mind. I first imagined Natalie Portman in the role of Daenarys or Sansa, but then again I first read the books nearly 10 years ago. Kyra Sedgwick would make a great Lady Stark as I think she shows both a lot of fiery strength but also vulnerability in her role on "The Closer." A younger Cate Blanchett would have rocked as Cersei Lannister.

And of course I would have loved to see Pullo for Sandor Clegane.

I will say this - the cast looks great for an HBO production, and Sean Bean would be my solid second choice for Ned Stark.

@ Valus - I found George RR Martin's books to be extremely accessible and a great read. There are a lot of characters, but many of them are just for backdrop so you don't have to worry about keeping track of who's who. Besides, George kills A LOT of people off. If you're getting tired of all the minor characters, keep in mind a few of them will probably meet grisly ends in the next few chapters.

I also like how Martin does a great job of jumping viewpoints across different factions. This is extremely hard for a fiction writer to do well btw - Tolkien completely sucked at it.
    Last edited by Count of Montesano; October 23, 2009 at 12:28 PM.