Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overhand spears or under?

Default Overhand spears or under?

Will some hoplites use there spears overhand? for example in EB I know some are over and some are under though im not sure why.

The recent Etruscan battle pics look awesome!!!

Opifex

Default Re: Overhand spears or under?

At first, for now they'll be underhand while I resolve all other parts of the mod. Ultimately they will most definitely be overhand.

Glad you liked the Etruscan battle preview. Perhaps my favorite of their screenshots:

Last edited by SigniferOne; September 05, 2009 at 02:25 PM.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Cool sounds good to me. Thanks for the reply

nice

that picture could be used as a windows backdrop.

I always thought greek style phalanxs had the front row fighting underarm with spears held short while the second row fought overarm with spears held long, giving 2 ranks of fighting men facing the enemy. This was then extended in the pike phalanx to multiple ranks fighting.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

how does over-underhand use of thrusting spear affect combat? I'm curious because it seemed to be mostly hoplites that held it overarm, obviously because of their massive shields but were there any major benefits?
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

k_raso's Avatar Biarchus

What I remember (I searched for the source on this, but I couldn't find it) is that an overhanded thrust can exert several times more force than an underhand thrust. The muscles that intervene in the former (triceps, lattissimus dorsi, teres and in minor part the deltoids) can accumulate much more strenght in a straight or downwards thrust from an overhand grip, than a upwards or horizontal thrust from an underhanded grip.
    Last edited by k_raso; October 02, 2009 at 02:01 PM.

Also when fighting for long periods of time you can rest your spear on top of your shield and still jab with it and not waste strength on just holding the spear.

I read a book on hoplite warfare a while ago and it was suggesting that they may have charged with there spears under hand and once in melee use it over hand.Reason for the under hand was to inflict shots to the groin area where there usually wasn't much protection. This is just what I read though. If interested I can post the name of the book and the author I dont have it with me on hand at the moment though

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

is it so important how did they carry the weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by SirWarts View Post
    Also when fighting for long periods of time you can rest your spear on top of your shield and still jab with it and not waste strength on just holding the spear.

I read a book on hoplite warfare a while ago and it was suggesting that they may have charged with there spears under hand and once in melee use it over hand.Reason for the under hand was to inflict shots to the groin area where there usually wasn't much protection. This is just what I read though. If interested I can post the name of the book and the author I dont have it with me on hand at the moment though
    Sounds like how the Romans used their gladuses(gladii? whatever...).
    "For men can endure to hear others praised only so long as they can severally persuade themselves of their own ability to equal the actions recounted: when this point is passed, envy comes in and with it, incredulity." - Pericles, Funeral Oration

"English bastards!" - the Scottish AAR!

The Grass is ALWAYS Greener: the Dark Tale of Mordor

Want to publish an article on any aspect of history? PM or email me at shistory@speculativehistory.co.uk, or visit http://www.speculativehistory.co.uk. if you just want to learn something new.

Indefinitely Banned

The TWC has seen this debate over and over again, but the fact is hoplites fought holding their spears underhand. However, overhand spears do look cooler as a noncombat pose.

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Banzai! View Post
    The TWC has seen this debate over and over again, but the fact is hoplites fought holding their spears underhand. However, overhand spears do look cooler as a noncombat pose.
    Can you please post a link to this fact? Let's use some logic here - if hoplites would be holding their spear underhand wouldn't this be a huge problem for soldiers standing behind the first raw since they would probably be hit with the rear of a spear in their stomachs...??? Especially the case when you stand in very tight formation such as the hoplites had.

On a side note here is very interesting site that discusses Roman legion formations in detail:
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Orac...2/legions.html
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

They used both second what they had to do. how you guys think they could defend themselves against cavalry, using overhand?

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

Yeah sure they used both according to situation but when they were in formation proper they had to use overhand.
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.

Leave it as is. It's a very minor point, and I wouldn't want the devs wasting time they could be using to actually get the mod out. I'm sure a sub-mod could address it for any so anal that hoplites using underhand spears ruins their game experience.
    "For men can endure to hear others praised only so long as they can severally persuade themselves of their own ability to equal the actions recounted: when this point is passed, envy comes in and with it, incredulity." - Pericles, Funeral Oration

"English bastards!" - the Scottish AAR!

The Grass is ALWAYS Greener: the Dark Tale of Mordor

Want to publish an article on any aspect of history? PM or email me at shistory@speculativehistory.co.uk, or visit http://www.speculativehistory.co.uk. if you just want to learn something new.

I for one would like to them them keeping their spears underarm, it seems much more ligical to me.
    Why do you think that the stomache was the most protected part of a hoplite cuiras? Surely they were afraid of being hit their (underarm) rather theen being hit in the completely unprotected armpit (overarm)

But I could live with overarm as well. It is certainly not a gamebreaker for me
    Last edited by we4kf00l; October 25, 2009 at 05:26 AM.

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

With overhand downward stabbing motion they didn't have to hit each other at all
    But yeah, hoplites using underarm grip isn't a gamebreaker for me either...

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to
    (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

Opifex

I am hoping this will become a moot point, as one of the animation packs recently released features a pretty much complete overhand animations set, so we should be looking to include it whenever I'll be able to get back to modding.

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Yay :]

Opifex

Yes plans are to definitely have overhand animations in either this or subsequent beta version.

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast