Thread: Can't Reinstall ... :(

Default Can't Reinstall ... :(

I uninstalled R:TW, or at least I thought I did... the Activision folder was still there but it didn't have a lot of the junk in it, so I just deleted that and all the shortcuts. I figured it would be as good... so I load in the CD to reinstall and it seems to think the game is still installed.

When I press Play, it doesen't go anywhere.
    When I press uninstall, it doesen't go anywhere.

It loads that tiny white Demo Shield box thingy, and then when that goes away, nothing further happens.

Some help please.

Virgil's Avatar Powered by Technicolor©

so the entire rtw folder in deleted, not just the contents inside eh?

uh oh...that is really not good. Try going into -control panel- add or remove programs and find rtw. then tell the computer to uninstall it. If you are lucky, it will simply remove it from the list. If you get an error message saying a file is missing- then your up a creek without a paddle.
    Patron to Shadows, The White Knight, Darkragnar, and
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia. Under the patronage of Horsearcher.

I am actually not able to find R:TW in the Add or Remove programs list

I found this on the official website...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Question
    There was a problem uninstalling the game and now I can't reinstall.
    Answer
    This answer is for an Advanced user. Please do not attempt the below solution if you are not comfortable editing the Registry. Damaging the Registry could result in very adverse effects to your system. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you are having problems uninstalling the game you can manually remove it from your machine. First it will be necessary to remove the registry keys the game creates. Please be cautious when working with the registry as it is very sensitive. Deleting the wrong thing can result in complete operating system failure.

1) Click Start then Run.
    2) At the prompt type: REGEDIT. The registry editor will open.
    3) Click the "+" next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    4) Click the "+" next to SOFTWARE.
    5) Click the "+" next to The Creative Assembly
    6) Right-Click to delete the The Creative Assembly entry.
    7) Click the "+" next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
    8) Click the "+" next to SOFTWARE.
    9) Click the "+" next to The Creative Assembly
    10) Right-Click to delete the The Creative Assembly entry.
    11) Close the registry editor.

Once the registry keys are removed, we'll need to remove the game files from your hard drive. These instructions assume you've installed the game in the default directory.
    1) Double-click My Computer.
    2) Double-click the C:\ drive.
    3) Double-click Program Files.
    4) Double-click Total War
    4) Right-click on the Rome: Total War folder and choose delete.

Remove the RomeTW.ini file from your hard drive.
    12) Click the Start button > Find (or Search) > Files & Folders.
    13) Search your C:\ drive for a file named RomeTW.ini.
    14) The file should be located in C:\WINDOWS.
    15) Delete this file.
    16) Reboot your machine. At this point the game is completely removed from your system.

---------------------------------

Maybe I will try, though I am no advanced user by any mans. Uh-oh. :-0

How sad, how sad... It still doesen't think it is uninstalled.

I couldn't find the RomeTW.ini, it wasn't there from search.
    Nor was any folder in Program Files there.

It seems like every trace of the game is gone but it still gives me the options, Play and Uninstall.

How happy, how happy!

I was out of idea so I put back in the CD and explored it. I thought I would just try and change the Install folder and forget about the old one... so I go to setup.exe and it leads me through the uninstall process!

The world has realigned !

Virgil's Avatar Powered by Technicolor©

HOORAY!!! Happy to hear it man! Good luck with playing, and I WOULD suggest leaving the RTW folder alone if you choose to uninstall from now on...=P
    Patron to Shadows, The White Knight, Darkragnar, and
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia. Under the patronage of Horsearcher.

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Skillful! Gotta love the TWC community, now mine's fixed too!

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

Default Re: Can't Reinstall ... :(

howdy all i bought the total war:eras and i had both rome and barbarian invasion on my pc before i got the eras version and i installed shogun and medieval total war fine but i cant seem to get rome to install when i tried to install rome it told me that i need to uninstall earlier versions of rome before i install the new one so i did that but now when i try to install it it still says that there is earlier versions on the pc if anyone has any advice i would surley appreciate it
    joey

Laetus

Hi,

I have a similar problem. After I had uninstalled my Rome Total War (patched to 1.3) from my computer I tried to install it anew. However now every time I try:
    - I select install on the screen that appears when I place my CD-rom in
    - the InstallShield Wizard starts but when he gets to “Preparing to Install..” a window opens with the question “Are you sure you want to completely remove ‘Rome – Total War(TM)’ and all of its features?”
    - Pressing OK does not help although this result is the Message “Uninstallation Completed”, because the next time I try I get the same message again.

By the way the file RomeTW.ini is nowhere to be found and the

Quote Originally Posted by Carthalo
    I found this on the official website...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Question
    There was a problem uninstalling the game and now I can't reinstall.
    Answer
    This answer is for an Advanced user. Please do not attempt the below solution if you are not comfortable editing the Registry. Damaging the Registry could result in very adverse effects to your system. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you are having problems uninstalling the game you can manually remove it from your machine. First it will be necessary to remove the registry keys the game creates. Please be cautious when working with the registry as it is very sensitive. Deleting the wrong thing can result in complete operating system failure.

1) Click Start then Run.
    2) At the prompt type: REGEDIT. The registry editor will open.
    3) Click the "+" next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    4) Click the "+" next to SOFTWARE.
    5) Click the "+" next to The Creative Assembly
    6) Right-Click to delete the The Creative Assembly entry.
    7) Click the "+" next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
    8) Click the "+" next to SOFTWARE.
    9) Click the "+" next to The Creative Assembly
    10) Right-Click to delete the The Creative Assembly entry.
    11) Close the registry editor.

Once the registry keys are removed, we'll need to remove the game files from your hard drive. These instructions assume you've installed the game in the default directory.
    1) Double-click My Computer.
    2) Double-click the C:\ drive.
    3) Double-click Program Files.
    4) Double-click Total War
    4) Right-click on the Rome: Total War folder and choose delete.

Remove the RomeTW.ini file from your hard drive.
    12) Click the Start button > Find (or Search) > Files & Folders.
    13) Search your C:\ drive for a file named RomeTW.ini.
    14) The file should be located in C:\WINDOWS.
    15) Delete this file.
    16) Reboot your machine. At this point the game is completely removed from your system.

---------------------------------

Maybe I will try, though I am no advanced user by any mans. Uh-oh. :-0

I just wanted to personally thank Carthalo for posting this remedy. I had been tearing my hair out over this problem ever since I aquired TW Eras, and it kept telling me Rome wasn't uninstalled.

The instructions were so easy to follow that even a barely Computer-literate moron like me had no problem following them.

You have our gratitude.

K.

When this happened to me i searched the computer for all files contain the words Rome Total War and deleted all the files from the game, that pretty much sorted it out

I have had a very similiar problem to the above.
    I already had Rome Total War (modded to Total realism)and Medieval Total War 2 on my system. I just recently got total war eras.

I firstly cut and paste my whole Rome Total Realism program into a non default (non activision) directory (in the hope i could still play it when i install the regular eras version of Rome).
    I then uninstalled Rome Total Realism successfully from the default activision directory, and then installed successfully Eras Shogun and Medieval Total war, however when I try to install Rome Total wTar eras i get the "old version of Rome Total War is on your system please uninstall" message.
    I notice from the previous posts i need to uninstall the whole registery entry for "The creative assembley" for Hkey current user and local machine. I obviously dont want to do this as I have eras Shogun and Medieval Total War and Medieval Total Was 2 on my system, so i was wondering what individual parts i need to delete from the registery?
    (1)under local machine "The creative assembly" i have 3 entries
    (i)Medieval total war gold and Rome total war (ii)Rome total war patch 1.5 (iii)Shogun total war gold
    (2)under current user "The creative assembly" I have 2 entries
    (i)Medieval II (ii)Rome TW 2

Questions
    (1)I assume i just need to delete the entries that have a reference to Rome(underlined) in them or do i need to delete the whole The Creative assemby entry and reinstall ALL of the total war programs again? (2)will i be able to continue to play Rome Total Realism (from non default directory) when I have installed the regular era Rome Total War on my system?

Ok I've been trying all of the remedies above but I have to man up and ask for help finally. I go to insert disc 2 into my drive when the installshield wizard asks me to but when I insert it the screen just goes white. I let it sit there for 10 minutes but it still stayed the same. Any ideas what happened to it? The disc is completely clean so I cant think of anything.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

What are your computer specs?

Have you put the disc in the drive just to see if you can read the contents of the disc?

Yeah and what shows up is a cab. file but if you try opening it nothing is inside it. The disc installed perfectly last month so I'm pretty sure the disc is fine. If I hit any button the whole screen just turns white so I'm freaking out trying to find whats wrong with it.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Again, I ask what are your computer specs?

Biggest causes are heat, not enough memory, underpowered power supply, cooling system dying, cpu dying, BIOS dying. It's hardware related. If you have changed anything in between installs, check power and cable connections.

Yes! Haha I havent been able to play this game in a while! Thanks anyway for your help irishron I must have not been paying attention to it when you asked me the computer specs question. I was messing with it a little more and I ended up downloading my discs 2 & 3 into my hard-drive and the game installed perfectly. Thanks again anyway I usually never have to ask for help on stuff like this but I guess age is catching up with me lol thanks again.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Good to hear that it's sorted.

Resolved and closed.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here