Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Imperial Splendour 2.1 Preview - Morocco

Default Imperial Splendour 2.1 Preview - Morocco

The Sultan, the Sharif, the Warrior: Alaouite Morocco

Artwork (Textures): Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
    Concepts: Ahiga

Imperial Splendour has expanded from Quixote's great efforts of improving battle and campaign play to a thorough renovation of the entire experience. A crucial part of this involves tailoring factions to their unique historical presence in the soldiers fielded and the battlefield tactics to as much as we are capable to. While marginalized in the eyes of Western History after the Reconquista and prior to Franco-Spanish colonialism in the 20th century, one can appreciate this absence as the result of Morocco's power and independence. Being neither an appendage of the rising or falling Ottoman state, nor a colonial holding as in India or the rest of the Maghreb, an Islamic state that managed to hold its own against the Europeans while not encroaching (Beyond piracy and raiding) on their own was less of a concern than the imperialist French, Prussians, or weakened Ottomans.

Historical Situation:

Alaouite Morocco in the late 17th early 18th century under Moulay Ismail was in a unique situation for an Islamic power. Unlike the bloated Mughals whom even with Aurangzeb's great expansion was suffering from breakdown or the Ottoman state having reached the summit of its strength with Vienna, the Alaouites were on an ascent after overthrowing the previous Saadi Dynasty. While the Ottomans and Mughals were beginning to be chipped away at by encroaching European Imperialism, Morocco had just recently thrown the Spanish and British out of their coastal enclaves.

A peer to the great rulers of the 17th century, the absolute rule of the Sultan Ismail harkened back more to the Caesars of Old than Louis XIV. Much like an Augustus who came into a city of brick and left it a city of marble, Moulay Ismail's ruthless arrival came amidst the instability of tribal wars and royal succession. Critical to his success was an issue similarly faced by European Monarchs during the centralization of the 17th and 18th century. This was achieved by a twofold means: Favoring the Wadya or Oudaya Arabs related to Ismail by his mother over the numerous Berber and other Arab tribes, but especially with his creation of a corps of slave-warriors answerable only to the Sultan.

Drawn from freed blacks who lived in Morocco (A controversy of enslaving free Muslims by deftly declaring they were more 'slaves to God and the jihad' than to Ismail himself) as well as enslaved black Africans, the core of the corps was the Abid al-Bukhari, or slaves of Bukhari (The author of one of the holiest hadiths of Sunni Islam). Numbering some 14,000 strong at their conception, they would blossom to some 140,000 strong by the death of Moualy Ismail. Much of them by this point would belong not to the more illustrious Black Guard of the Sultan, but rather the Bawakhir, a militia of black slaves crucial for garrison and police work.

While Moulay Ismail and other powers would increasingly favor the Wadaya Arabs and Black Slaves, more traditional tribal military sources were still necessary for the Sultans to call upon. These were split between the largely Arab or arabized berbers of the Bled al-Makhzan (Land of the Government) and the largely autonomous Berbers of the bled al-Siba (land of discord, where taxes and political rule of the Sultan were not recognized). These were not fixed borders however: The strength or lack thereof of the sultan would determine just where they fell. By and large the al-Makhzan was the cities and plains, while the al-Siba was the Mountains and deserts.

Military:

As a Note: The 1.4 CA patch will introduce shooting and reloading on the move, which will revolutionize combat for Morocco. While other states were still dancing between lancers, sword cavalry, horse archers and those with guns, Moroccan cavalry was by and large entirely a force of mounted musketeers. The traditional tactic was little changed from javelin and bow-armed antiquity, involving a forward sweep towards the enemy with a broad front from 500 meters, leading to a stop to engage with firepower, and a retreat. The full experience will likely be better enjoyed once the patch releases.

While Ismail began to favor the janissary-like corps of Black Slave Warriors and the Wadya Arabs to whom he owed lineage through his mother, he and the following Sultans still had to rely on the existing tribal military structure. The Alaouite's army is roughly scaled across five basic categories:

The Black Slave Warriors

The Abid al-Bukhari are both the elite guard of the Alaouite State and the core of their military. More available than the household guards of European States, they are peers to the Janissaries back in their heyday in numbers and role. While not excelling in marksmanship, their zealous loyalty unto death to the Sultan will make certain they fight till near oblivion, and as such are best used for shock-work.

The Bawakhir Militia form the larger part of the overall black guard, serving as garrison infantry in the citadels and cities of Morocco. While less possessive of the obedience-unto-worship found in the Abid al-Bukhari, these soldiers are undeserving of the negative conotations 'militia' supplies. Certainly they are more loyal and willing to die for the Sultan than the tribal contingents.

The Wadaya/Oudaya Arabs

If the Abid are the right hand of the Sultan, the Wadaya Arabs are the left. Related to the Alaouite dynasty by Moualy Ismail's mother, the Wadaya seems to have been a catch all to describe the numerous Arab tribes which settled in Southern Morocco, intermixing with pre-Arab Saharan nomads.

The Makhzani or Gish Tribes

Tribes could provide their allegiance to the Sultan and State through either military service or the payment of taxes. Those tribes which did respect the authority of the State were designated Gish (From the Arabic Jaysh, meaning Army) or Makhzani, and provided mounted tribesmen to the Sultan for his military campaigns. While their loyalty is as little as a feudal subject might be, they remain the crucial backbone of the Alaouite cavalry corps.

The Berbers

Not all Berbers were found in the bled al-siba, the lands of discord where authority of the Sultanate could not be found. But for those tribes within the al-Siba, most were Berber, and amongst these wild lands of Rif, Atlas, and Sahara were bred doughty warriors whom could fight with a wild fury. One cannot expect them to be willing to bleed too much for the Sultan, though.

The Levies of the land and Tribe

Like any state with something in the means of a regular and/or feudal army, levied troops of desperate need exist for the Alaouites. These are the Nouaib, a mounted yeomanry drawn from both Makhzani military tribes and non-military tribes of "Naiba" land that traditionally just pay taxes, and a militia of the Naiba's villages, cities and sedentary tribesmen.

Mercenaries

Available to all Muslims who invade North Africa are the "Barbary Corsairs", a motely crew of Janissaries, Kuloghlis (Janissary/Maghrebi offspring), and whatever mess of men cast themselves into the fortunes of piracy. [They may be given blunderbusses, tweaked down in effectiveness]

Available to all Christians in the Balkans (If Hajduks) or Greece (If Maniots), as irregular aggressive infantry. [Their nature will depend on what we cast them as. The Maniots would be high quality light infantry with a small unit size but great power, while Hajduks would be a full sized Irregular force like the Ottoman's Sekban or Austrian Grenz-Infanterie.]

Default Re: Imperial Splendour 2.1 Preview - Morocco

Wow this is truly an amazing job, very well done research and excellent texture work too.

Arenīt those barbary corsairs replacing the barbary pirates? They look very good indeed, i always hated how in vanilla etw the barbary pirates were all white skinned like they were europeans. I have a few questions thought:

-Do you plan to change the generalīs bodyguard model too? Because it looks like heavily ottoman, i mean the moroccan general.

-Would mamelukes still be recruitable for morocco too? It have nothing to do with the fact that mamelukes are my favourite unit in the whole game xD

Great work IS team! You made me want to start a Moroccan campaign right now

good work guys
    wen will it be Released
    and will you add a new arab faction like the first Saudi state

There will be no new factions in 2.1.

However, we are keeping a close eye on some recent developments in the community (mainly Hussarltw's work) which seem to indicate that adding factions is indeed possible (yet, like everything brand-new, still too buggy for comfort).
    Last edited by The Vicar; September 05, 2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Double Post
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucefalo View Post
    Wow this is truly an amazing job, very well done research and excellent texture work too.

Arenīt those barbary corsairs replacing the barbary pirates? They look very good indeed, i always hated how in vanilla etw the barbary pirates were all white skinned like they were europeans. I have a few questions thought:

-Do you plan to change the generalīs bodyguard model too? Because it looks like heavily ottoman, i mean the moroccan general.

-Would mamelukes still be recruitable for morocco too? It have nothing to do with the fact that mamelukes are my favourite unit in the whole game xD

Great work IS team! You made me want to start a Moroccan campaign right now
    Be sure to rep and thank Sir Caesar for his amazing work.

They will be replacing either the Sarraj Janissaries or the Yuldashes Janissaries (I think the latter) of the Barbary Pirates. The Marines of the Barbary States seem to have typically been Janissaries, and the general footsoldier of Tunis, Algiers, and Libya seems to have been a Kuloghli or a Janissary.

I'll probably simply use the Oudaya (Black Arab) model to be the bodyguard.

Not sure about Mamelukes.

And no new factions in 2.1. If CA had included the Arabian Pennisula than it would have been perfect to add Oman, Yemen, or the Wahhabist Bedouin.

Fabulous.Beautiful. A credit to the IS team,and a soon- to- be- favourite faction,for many,for sure.Would you care to clarify use of the cavalry units (Any "Guards"/"elite" types? No "Mamelukes" - style,even as mercenaries?) ?
    Last edited by Husayn Bayqara; September 07, 2009 at 02:57 AM.

Praepositus

Nice work general and nice that you take for serious eastern factions
    I would like to see Maniots statistics

As for hadjuks the whole infantry of balkans is a bit mixed and i think is dificult to
    distinguise from other kind like pandurs . The leaders of the Moldavia-Valchia had some own recruited troops and cavalry that was influenced by cossacks and also they had some degree of influence from european tactics

Would you be able to discuss a few things? With the cavalry,are they only up to being employed as skirmishers/stand - off shooters,or will charging with sabres be possible/effective? Will there be a "Guards"/elite cavalry type that could charge "bravely" ie sabreurs (if so ,would they be akin to Mamelukes? Could we have "Egyptian" Mamelukes,if only as mercenaries?) ? With the various musket / jezail infantry, is it the case (as I suspect ie historically,18th Century - they westernised 19th Century ? ) that bayonets are not available, and that melee means scimitars ? Are they,then, generally up to a swords vs bayonets melee against European line infantry ?

Quote Originally Posted by Husayn Bayqara View Post
    Would you be able to discuss a few things? With the cavalry,are they only up to being employed as skirmishers/stand - off shooters,or will charging with sabres be possible/effective? Will there be a "Guards"/elite cavalry type that could charge "bravely" ie sabreurs (if so ,would they be akin to Mamelukes? Could we have "Egyptian" Mamelukes,if only as mercenaries?) ? With the various musket / jezail infantry, is it the case (as I suspect ie historically,18th Century - they westernised 19th Century ? ) that bayonets are not available, and that melee means scimitars ? Are they,then, generally up to a swords vs bayonets melee against European line infantry ?
    Waiting for the 1.4 patch and how they deal with shooting on the move has me hamstringed a little bit, but the general goal is for the Moroccans to be a cavalry skirmishing force. They will be with the Safavids and Austrians the pre-eminent faction for mounted shooting. I might see to give them a small boost in movement speed like the native americans, but not nearly as high.

• Berbers will likely be your best regular melee cavalry
    • The Makhzani will favor the musket
    • The Udaya Saharan Arabs/Berbers are the closest to a Guard Cavalry, and will be either purely melee or able to shoot but greatly favoring melee.
    • Nobody invited the Nouaib to the birthday party because they are puny and that makes them sad.

I am trying to decide how to or what to allow in Barbary/Moroccan cross-usage of units. They may or may not get access to various Barbaryan units (janissaries, kuloghlis, lance armed tribesmen, Mamluks).

They did Westernize in the 19th century, and I may include a unit allowing them to practice Europeanization if advanced enough (Under the control of the player), since we do allow for Europeans to colonize the Middle East and use 19th century inspired troops (Turcos, Spahis) despite not doing so in the 18th. So yes, Scimitars and swords.

Will also be including a Berber Camelry unit bearing a gun. I hate Camel units because people throw them into every desert or arid Islamic military despite their role almost always being very auxiliary (as mounts for infantry to ride and dismount from, supply beasts of burden, or gun-emplacements.). Exceptions exist - early pre-Islamic Arabs, the Almohads or Almoravids, but the idea of their frequency in usage is wrong. Quite frankly it's the most fantasy unit for the Alaouites - All their others have a historical basis, this is just an assumption of the most southernmost Berbers who serve as mercenaries bringing camels.
    Last edited by Ahiga; September 09, 2009 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks Ahiga..........all very exciting for us Orientalists ! By the way, can the Tuareg be incorporated (Morocco, or Barbary States?) ? They would be tough melee fighters (like Indian swordsmen?),with some jezail skirmishers ,on foot and camel,and would add a lot of colour (indigo,to be accurate)............

Quote Originally Posted by Husayn Bayqara View Post
    Thanks Ahiga..........all very exciting for us Orientalists ! By the way, can the Tuareg be incorporated (Morocco, or Barbary States?) ? They would be tough melee fighters (like Indian swordsmen?),with some jezail skirmishers ,on foot and camel,and would add a lot of colour (indigo,to be accurate)............
    If there was a sufficient model with turban wrap I would have sought Sir Caesar to make one but sadly there isn't. For now Tuaregs aren't possible, although they were used in inspiration. Berbers will pretty much assume that role - They'll be light infantry with larger than average sizes and great melee power.

Ah........ well,we can perfect it with Tuareg in a future incarnation (IS 2.5 !)..........IS is all getting more and more fantastic.Thank you all for your dedication (+ Rep).
    Last edited by Husayn Bayqara; September 09, 2009 at 01:25 AM.

persianfan247's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post

They did Westernize in the 19th century, and I may include a unit allowing them to practice Europeanization if advanced enough (Under the control of the player), since we do allow for Europeans to colonize the Middle East and use 19th century inspired troops (Turcos, Spahis) despite not doing so in the 18th. So yes, Scimitars and swords.

So will we be seeing these guys if we play as a European nation

http://www.warflag.com/shadow/unifor...queuniform.htm

http://www.warflag.com/shadow/uniforms/funiform.htm

http://www.warflag.com/shadow/uniforms/senguniform.htm

I guess if you were to include a Senegalese unit it might be a bit redundant gameplay wise.

Also how about some of these guys as mercenaries, might be a bit hard, since you might need new models

http://www.warflag.com/shadow/uniforms/ituniform.htm

Also if we conqueror Egypt will we get unique Egyptian infantry?
    Last edited by persianfan247; September 10, 2009 at 04:53 PM.

Yes and no. You do get Spahis, Chasseurs (But are Chasseurs de Moyen Orient rather than just Chasseurs de afrique) and Tirailleurs Indigenes, but they don't quite look like that. You also get Berber & Arab mercenaries, along with various Europeans (Settlers, Marines, Provincial or Imperial Line infantry)

Ok cool, I guess you would probably need to create new models for some units, any chance in the future the persians might get a reformed army.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...2094482812.png

Crown Prince Abbas Mirza is on the left, having the heads thrown in front of him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbas_Mirza

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Also maybe Persian Cossack Brigade for the Russians and Persians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Cossack_Brigade

Probably no Persian Cossack Brigade, as within that link you provided it states that they weren't Cossacks, had no ties to actual Cossacks, and the unit wasn't formed until 1879, which is a little beyond our timeframe.

I can understand the date being a problem, but isn't the fact they weren't actual Cossacks irrelevant, they were still a significant Military force, allowing the Pahlavis to come to power in the 20th century. I also thought they would make a good unique unit for Russia or Persia. Though I suppose Russia hardly needs it.
    Last edited by persianfan247; September 11, 2009 at 06:55 PM.

Well, right. The reason I mentioned the Cossack bit was because if they were actual Cossacks, then they would have had a historic presence in the area, and that might have justified creating an 18th century unit.

And it is interesting info, nonetheless.

Ok, but it was almost a Russian unit and basically worked for the Russians, just like the South Persian Rifles worked for the British.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Persia_Rifles

Though ofcourse this one is deffinantly out of the date range.

Sigh, I will lay off this for the moment, but I will be back, I swear it.

I already did research for Safavid and Afsharid (Nader Shah) Afghanistan. They still get a Qajar era line infantrymen thrown in despite being out of date (Since the Nizam-i and I would argue the Green Jackets are all out of date). You just get quasi regularized Jazaerychis instead of Line infantry. Feel free to post artwork befitting the Persians or Afghans (Or for that matter other Eastern States) in the 1700s and early 1800s (up to 1820/1830), but it is best to do so in a new topic. If any of them work for concepts to share with Sir Caesar when he and I start working on Eastern Units again, I'll be sure to use them.
    Last edited by Ahiga; September 12, 2009 at 11:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast