Thread: Adding Bearskins back for the British Grenadiers

Icon9 Adding Bearskins back for the British Grenadiers

I'm really enjoying TROM, however I have failed to find a way using packfile manager to add the bearskins back to the British Grenadiers.

Does anyone have an idea how please?

I appreciate that some believe the British used mitre hats but these do not resemble the bearskins as worn by the grenadiers who stormed the cliffs at Quebec in the French and Indian war as seen in the Imperial War Museum in London.

Many thanks!

Default Re: Adding Bearskins back for the British Grenadiers

Quote Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
    I'm really enjoying TROM, however I have failed to find a way using packfile manager to add the bearskins back to the British Grenadiers.

Does anyone have an idea how please?

I appreciate that some believe the British used mitre hats but these do not resemble the bearskins as worn by the grenadiers who stormed the cliffs at Quebec in the French and Indian war as seen in the Imperial War Museum in London.

Many thanks!

Have you tried locating the unit in unit_stats_land_tables / trom_unit_stats_land via the DBEditor, and just swapping the entry in the 'Model Name' column to 'euro_grenadiers_bearskin' from the existing 'euro_grenadiers' entry. Should work without any problems.

However, with regards to the mitre - it is strictly speaking the more historically accurate piece of headgear for British grenadiers during almost all of the 18th century. The bearskin was in use but only towards the end of the century. Besides which, I seem to remember the bearskin grenadiers having uniforms that look entirely inappropriate for most of the game's time frame. The mitre cap model on the other hand I feel holds up reasonably well when compared with paintings & illustrations from the bulk of the period - Morier for example. I suppose it is ultimately a matter of personal choice though.

I only wish the mitre didn't look so terrible.

Tancredii's Avatar Tiro

If you load the Trom Oranamentum pack from Da Nova then you can use the one of the mitre models instead. Have to check the uniform colour. If that doesn't work use the Prussian or Russian Grenadiers or the Prussian Life Guards.

If you check Toons link he and his team have also improved the mitre in the unit models further so you could also grab one of those and use it with their permission.
    The British were completely beaten and the day was mine, but they did not know it and would not run.

Marshall Soult to Napolean - having been robbed of his victory at Albuera (May 1811)

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

Ultimately we could change all mitre grenadiers to use the better Prussian/Russian model. I haven't done this yet because most skin sets appear to be using the old model.
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down

I think the original model looks best in every respect except the mitre, which is awful. The Russian / Prussian grenadiers look good, but personally I think they look far too ornamental.

I took a quick shot in the game & googled for a quick comparison ( so apologies for low quality paint jpeg & small image size, respectively.)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Grenadier from Barrell's Regiment

I don't suppose there's a way to just swap the hats on the model or such like ? Even if that is possible, I get the feeling that the Russian & Prussian grenadiers look a lot bigger than the euro_grenadiers model and it would look daft, unless it's just the height of the mitre making them look larger ?

Toon's grenadiers do look like an improvement but I couldn't get them to work properly on my install for some reason ( they kept turning out solid colours like red etc - something to do with the gloss maps ?)

The mitre does look better on them - from the front anyway. Anyone know how I'd make them work properly ?

Last edited by Redshank; September 05, 2009 at 09:19 AM.

Tancredii's Avatar Tiro

I managed in a previous mod but haven't tried as want to get used to TROM before I start modding on top of bits of it myself.

Toon's mob also ave some Hessian/German models where they have modded the front of the standard prussian/russian mitre and pur a grenade symbol on it. Look pretty good.

Yeah I like the basic model of the original "mitre" grenadier too.

Toon's officers and drummers are bloody nice too.
    The British were completely beaten and the day was mine, but they did not know it and would not run.

Marshall Soult to Napolean - having been robbed of his victory at Albuera (May 1811)

Thanks guys for your input. I did try to make the grenadiers have bearskins again but didnt seem able to do this on trom with pack file manager = I changed the unit model but I could not change the unit ID name. It would be great if there was a new mitre that had bear skin like those worn at quebec - not as busby as the french and not so crappy card-board kids wonder-woman outfit as the mitre.

Here is a link to the British Grenadiers bearskin - I think it looks awesome!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/publicr...org/493958022/
    SI Neg. 2004-22549.03. Date: na....British Grenadier's bearskin cap. Bearskin on leather, red wool bag on back, white cord tassel, laminate of copper backed with tin crown. The front plate is stamped with the British royal cipher or monogram, "GR" for Georgeus Rex or King George. Above is the Royal motto, nec aspera terrent or difficulties be damned..During the American Revolution, European armies organized their infantry regiments into four to six companies of line infantry and two flank companies of specialized soldiers. One specialized flank was the Grenadiers. Their name was derived from their primary weapon, the grenade, a hand held fuse bomb. British regiment who fought in America wore these hats to denote their special role as elite troops...Credit: Hugh Talman (Smithsonian Institution)

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank View Post
    I don't suppose there's a way to just swap the hats on the model or such like ?
    Until recently, no.
    But now:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...15#post5911515

Mind you, this is still in development and it will take time before release. All credit goes to KnightErrant dor his Converter tool and daNova for making the unit

Tancredii's Avatar Tiro

That's the dog's bollocks!!

Well done to all concerned.

Now I am going to show my age her and put myself on a pedestal to be shot down but the "Mitre" Grenadier model is right for an early grenadier, much like the wild geese model is closer to an acceptable line model. It's just the bloody mitre that is awful - Da Nov'a work will mean models can finally be cobbled together which is top top news.

Can units upgrade? I don't think so but haven't dabbled in modding for a few months.

As for British Grenadiers and the bearskin - This was a later development and not a universal change. mitre was extensively in use in the Seven years war and still used by some units in the American war of independance. However I do agree with Kurgan the bearskin looks pretty cool. Here I will show my age because some of my first toys were the old airfix troops from the war of independance period and I used to love those bearskins! Poor colonials never stood a chance in my battles............ hmm sorry I digress.

Anyway I would resist a bearskin model unless it was attached to a unit which was known to use them historically. But they do look damn good. I'd rather see a more realistic mitre be used!

All I want for Christmas is is that bearskin-mitre - I think it was bearskin front and red wool bag at the rear. Its just such a cool looking piece of kit. Maybe those hats on daNova's highland reg could be appropriated by some modding genius?

Quote Originally Posted by Tancredii View Post
    I'd rather see a more realistic mitre be used!

Seconded. The euro_grenadiers model combined with the more realistic looking mitres would be excellent - providing of course that the possible size differences didn't make it look stupid or could be overcome somehow ?

I hope this is to your liking:
    Don't look at uniform details, it's a test to see how the model works.

Credit goes to daNova

I really applaud the effort of this and the mitre looks much better. Looks like I will have to have a go at somehow modding my own bearskin-mitres though...
    I noticed the russian grenadiers might have a mitre shape that could be modified to look like the British bearkin-mitre in the photograph from the 1750s...

Quote Originally Posted by Johan217 View Post
    I hope this is to your liking:
    Don't look at uniform details, it's a test to see how the model works.

Credit goes to daNova

Wow That model looks brilliant.

Tancredii's Avatar Tiro

Excellent, however to be picky there are some models out there where they have altered the brass plate to be the more realistic coloured cloth with smaller brass plate (or none as the fancy takes you). However that is much much superior to the original model and all credit to Da Nova.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ba...m_Tapestry.jpg or later

http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/en/image_210.asp?page_id=250

I think the models are in Toons Hessian/German range but haven't nosed around for a few weeks so apologies if I send anyone down a false trail!

For Johan's point though they still carry the sword too (although for campaigns in North America I believe it was dropped and the superflous parts of the jacket stripped down).
    Last edited by Tancredii; September 21, 2009 at 06:31 AM.

As I said, disregard the texture, just look at the model

I'll leave it to a talented skinner to enhance it.