View Poll Results: Should ban be lifted from Hijab or not?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 38.39%
  • No

51 45.54%
  • Yes but with some limitations

18 16.07%
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th September-International Hijab Day

Indefinitely Banned
    Lahore, cultural capital of Islamic world.

Default 4th September-International Hijab Day

Today is being celebrated as international hijab day as on 4th September 2002 France banned hijab first time in Europe.

http://www.prohijab.net/english/Pres...idarityday.htm

The Assembly for the Protection of Hijab has declared the 4th of September as a worldwide International Hijab Solidarity Day. Muslim women continue to suffer in countries such as France, Germany, Tunisia and Turkey, to name but a few, where the Hijab has been banned thus ostracising those who wear it from the very societies in which they live.

Following the remarkable success of the 17th January 04 “International day to support the Hijab” in which event took place in more than 35 countries around the world, the 4th of September will be another show of solidarity for religious freedom supporters.

The 4th of September also marks the return to school of girls in France, where the ban in academic institutions will commence. Such a ban will serve to create outcasts of every Hijab wearing Muslim girl causing untold psychological damage. The show of solidarity on 4th September is expected to provide these girls with the support and strength in order to fight for their rights.

The issue of the Hijab ban is a live one and with the continual escalation of the ban, Protect-Hijab thinks it is imperative to keep it at the forefront. Organisations, individuals and all those supporting the right of Muslim Woman to wear the Hijab will use September 4th to show solidarity with all Muslim women who are being denied education, freedom of expression and basic human rights and civil liberties.

While in France, young girls are being stopped from entering school premises wearing the Hijab; in Turkey Muslim women are being denied medical treatment and excluded from parliament for wearing the Hijab; and in Tunisia Muslim women are taken to prison and tortured if they wear Hijab. These are some examples of the persecution suffered by women simply because they follow a religious teaching as an expression of their faith.

Protect-Hijab calls people of all faiths and no faith to show solidarity on the 4th September events everywhere in the world. The Protect-Hijab campaigns will continue as long as there are bans against the Hijab in place.
    This day is being attributed to "Martyr of hijab Marva Al-Shirbini" who was stabbed in her back by a racist German Islamophobe in Court of Law.

http://kashifiat.wordpress.com/2009/...ed-atul-hijab/

CAIRO/PARIS — The gruesome murder of a hijab-clad Egyptian woman by a German racist last week is continuing to send shockwaves among Muslims, while inspiring many to make a stand.
    A proposal put forward by one of IslamOnline.net’s readers for a World Hijab Day to mark the death of Marwa Al-Sherbini drew immediate support from around the world.
    “We are throwing our weight behind this proposal,” says Abeer Pharaon, the chair of the Assembly for the Protection of Hijab.
    “Sherbini is not only a hijab martyr but also a victim of Islamophobia, from which European Muslims are suffering,” she stressed.
    “Her death deserves to be commemorated and marked as a World Hijab Day.”
    Sherbini, 32, was stabbed to death by a 28-year German of Russian origin in a courtroom in the eastern city of Dresden on Wednesday, July 1.
    He stabbed her 18 times before the pregnant woman was to testify against him for insulting her for wearing hijab.
    Sherbini’s husband, who was preparing to discuss his Masters next month, was also injured when he tried to intervene to protect her.
    The despicable crime sparked calls by IOL readers for action in defense of Hijab, an obligatory code of dress that every Muslim woman must wear.
    One reader suggested marking the tragic death of the young woman with a special day on which Muslim women across the world would take to the streets to defend their dress code.
    “We are supporting the proposal,” Rawa Al-Abed, an official in the Federation of Islamic Organizations in Europe, told IOL.
    “We are also calling for organizing more events to raise awareness about the rights of Muslim women in Europe, including wearing hijab.”
    Many Muslims marks the International Hijab Solidarity Day in the first week of September.
    The day was launched by the London-based Assembly for the Protection of Hijab (Protect Hijab) in 2004 to protest a French law banning hijab in state schools.
    Any thoughts and views + If you vote for option third please give the reasons. ? If you like this thread +rep me.
    Last edited by Pseudo-Intellectual; September 04, 2009 at 08:04 AM.

Tiberios's Avatar Le Paysan Soleil
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: 4th September-International Hijab Day

I'm in favour of banning the hijab.

Indefinitely Banned

and your reasons please plus would you like nuns to be forced to leave head skarf?

Tiberios's Avatar Le Paysan Soleil
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

personally I find it oppressive to women that they have to wear a hijab. Secondly we had a case in Denmark were a bus driver was suspended on grounds of racism because he refused to let a hijab clad women on the bus because he could not verify if she was the same person as the picture on the fare card she had. Of course she accused the bus company of rascim despite the fact she ignored the rules by not being indentifiable.

Besides that I don't like the fact that religion has any say in how you dress.

Personally I have no need to signal my religion to anyone by wearing a large cross or something like that.
    Last edited by Tiberios; September 04, 2009 at 08:19 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

first of all yes i respect the second reason given by you as that was not supposedly based on prejudice but first reason was just a lame excuse, if in your secularism being naked is opinion of a woman than hoe being in hijab is oppressive to her when in western society her husband can't force her to wear hijab. so all what you snatch from a muslim woman is her own wisha nd will to wear hijab. otherwise remove headskarf of nuns it's oppressive too.

i am watching poll results and watching how civilized secular sons of west are depriving a woman from her basic right to wear hijab in a society where woman is "free" to do whatever she wants to do.
    Last edited by Atterdag; September 04, 2009 at 09:36 AM.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

I think this thread nicely show the great diversity among muslim nations. Both Turkey and Tunisia are muslim dominated nations who does not support muslim women to cover themselves. Showing that the veil is more of a socio-cultural tradition inherited from the Arabic peninsula than a sign of muslim faith. Furthermore I think your comments regarding Marva Al-Shirbini are highly distasteful, she was an integrated and respected member of German society. Displaying her as a martyr is nothing else than an insult against an individual who managed to integrate into a new society.

Quote Originally Posted by Text nr 1
    Following the remarkable success of the 17th January 04 “International day to support the Hijab” in which event took place in more than 35 countries around the world, the 4th of September will be another show of solidarity for religious freedom supporters.
    There are 48 muslim majority nations and another 20 with more than 10 % muslims. And many others with a smaller minority of muslims. Calling 35 nations "a remarkable success" is quite pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo Intellectual View Post
    This day is being attributed to "Martyr of hijab Marva Al-Shirbini" who was stabbed in her back by a racist German Islamophobe in Court of Law.
    And this is just embarassing race baiting, she was not a martyr of the hijab. Marva Al-Shirbini was stabbed to death in a court case that she was winning. By a racist Russian immigrant that was an outcast from German society.

There are two basic facts here:

Alex W was probably crazy enough to stab her regardless if she was wearing a hijab or not. She was a victim of a racist attack, you cannot connect it to her hijab.

German society supported the muslim hijab wearing pharmacist over a crazy white racist. She won the court case against the man who had offended her. But was murdered becuase he was crazier than anyone could have expected.

In other words, a muslim immigrant wearing a hijab was a more integrated individual than the white unemployed racist immigrant. She was a victim of a madman, not a martyr of a society disliking the hijab.

Any thoughts and views ? If you like this thread +rep me.
    I find your name very fitting.

Amry's Avatar Ducenarius

Me, I'm in favour of people wearing whatever they want in public. Within certain limitations, as outlined below:

If a particular dress is to be banned, there must be compelling reason to do so. Examples of compelling reason would be "when you are in an airport" or other high-security zones. Another example would be if the person in question is at work and there is a uniform where everyone have to wear.

Now, people might say, "does that mean you also support the right for nudists to walk in public in the nude?" Surprisingly, my answer to that is "yes", since I can't think of a reason to say otherwise.

YuriVII's Avatar Primicerius

First off, I find hijjab in some cases sexy, especially on some Persian chicks. Hijab (correct me if I am wrong) is a head scarf not masking the face, but the hair and neck. Burqa is where the face is completley covered.

Either way, it is the right of a woman to wear this clothing if she wants to and it is in no way oppresive, unless she is forced to wear it. You know, not every woman is like a typical cosmopolitan western women who wants to show off her cleavage to the entire town. Some women find modesty to be a virtue.

As far as the day is concerned, I think it should be targeted at France more than any country in the Western Bloc
    Last edited by YuriVII; September 04, 2009 at 08:44 AM.

Amry's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by YuriVII View Post
    First off, I find hijjab in some cases sexy, especially on some Persian chicks. Hijab (correct me if I am wrong) is a head scarf not masking the face, but the hair and neck. Burqa is where the face is completley covered.

DAMMIT! I was thinking about the burqa when I made my initial post. I've Googled for some images of the hijab, and frankly I don't see anything offensive about it. It's just a Middle Eastern-culture version of the scarf or pashmina.

Sorry, what's the difference between a burqa and a niqab?

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

I have no problem with the hijab, it's just a head scarf.

I'd imagine people are objecting to the burqa and simply thinking the two are the same.

I won't be wearing today in Texas while I examine my patients. It has been the hottest summer on record for my city, so I don't want o get all sweaty.
    "oooh a gypsy wind is blowing warm tonight, sky is starlit and the time is right. Now you're telling me you have to go...before you do there's something you should know." - Bob Seger

Freedom is the distance between church and state.

considering women are apparently being co-earced by threat of violence into wearing them, you case is flawed:

In France, according to journalist Jane Kramer, veiling among school girls became increasingly common following the 9/11 Attack of 2001, due to coercion by "fathers and uncles and brothers and even their male classmates" of the school girls. "Girls who did not conform were excoriated, or chased, or beaten by fanatical young men meting out `Islamic justice.`" [35] According to the American magazine The Weekly Standard, a survey conducted in France in May 2003 reportedly "found that 77% of girls wearing the hijab said they did so because of physical threats from Islamist groups." [36]

There's a ban on the hijab?
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Amry's Avatar Ducenarius

justicar, who are you addressing to with that post?

Anyway, I think it is implicitly implied that we're talking about voluntary wearing of hijabs, burqas or whatever. If it is forced, then I don't think anyone here would support that - heck, I'd oppose a movement to force all women wear bikinis. The clothing doesn't matter, only whether it is voluntary or not.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I think this thread nicely show the great diversity among muslim nations. Both Turkey and Tunisia are muslim dominated nations who does not support muslim women to cover themselves. Showing that the veil is more of a socio-cultural tradition inherited from the Arabic peninsula than a sign of muslim faith. Furthermore I think your comments regarding Marva Al-Shirbini are highly distasteful, she was an integrated and respected member of German society. Displaying her as a martyr is nothing else than an insult against an individual who managed to integrate into a new society.
    Well dear Sir! it's not me but that pro hijab organization and most of the muslims who call her "martyr of Hijab" and for your kind information even in Pakistan that day is attributed this year to her.

Quote Originally Posted by YuriVII View Post

Either way, it is the right of a woman to wear this clothing if she wants to and it is in no way oppresive, unless she is forced to wear it. You know, not every woman is like a typical cosmopolitan western women who wants to show off her cleavage to the entire town. Some women find modesty to be a virtue.

As far as the day is concerned, I think it should be targeted at France more than any country in the Western Bloc
    I totally agree with you and thanks for supporting women fighting for their basic rights. and yes main target of this day is france, because france is the country which has most muslims as minority but even then most cases of islamophobia or hijabphobia come from france.

Quote Originally Posted by Amry View Post
    Me, I'm in favour of people wearing whatever they want in public. Within certain limitations, as outlined below:

If a particular dress is to be banned, there must be compelling reason to do so. Examples of compelling reason would be "when you are in an airport" or other high-security zones. Another example would be if the person in question is at work and there is a uniform where everyone have to wear.

Now, people might say, "does that mean you also support the right for nudists to walk in public in the nude?" Surprisingly, my answer to that is "yes", since I can't think of a reason to say otherwise.
    Well walking in hijab is not offending like walking nude. secondly yes people make laws so you just can't support prejudice by saying this is law instead of this you should make laws according to basic human values.

Amry's Avatar Ducenarius

secondly yes people make laws so you just can't support prejudice by saying this is law instead of this you should make laws according to basic human values.
    Err... you do realize that I am for letting women wear whatever the heck they want, including hijabs, niqabs, burkhas and whatnot?

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Amry View Post
    justicar, who are you addressing to with that post?

Anyway, I think it is implicitly implied that we're talking about voluntary wearing of hijabs, burqas or whatever. If it is forced, then I don't think anyone here would support that - heck, I'd oppose a movement to force all women wear bikinis. The clothing doesn't matter, only whether it is voluntary or not.
    Agreed but how can girls be coerced in country like frace to wear hijab? secondly after 911 christians started watching every muslim as alqaeda suspec this forced muslim to come back to their religion. and yes hijab is not only some arab cultural thing but it's a tool fulfilling demands of veiling according to Islam.

Comes Limitis

France didn't ban Hijabs...
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

Frédéric Bastiat's Avatar Civis

considering women are apparently being co-earced by threat of violence into wearing them, you case is flawed:

In France, according to journalist Jane Kramer, veiling among school girls became increasingly common following the 9/11 Attack of 2001, due to coercion by "fathers and uncles and brothers and even their male classmates" of the school girls. "Girls who did not conform were excoriated, or chased, or beaten by fanatical young men meting out `Islamic justice.`" [35] According to the American magazine The Weekly Standard, a survey conducted in France in May 2003 reportedly "found that 77% of girls wearing the hijab said they did so because of physical threats from Islamist groups." [36]
    You think you're gonna get very far when you're quoting wikipedia....and the weekly standard, a neo-con news-rag?

No, obviously not.

Many Muslim women wear the hijab out of modesty, because lets face it, in this day and age the West is becoming a society of lewdness, where sex is being embraced and glorified. Girls wearing lowcuts and really short shorts where their ass-cheeks hang out is becoming the norm. When a bunch of girls are dressing up like sluts, who can blame Muslim women for trying to modest? Some muslim women even say that wearing the hijab empowers them.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Frédéric Bastiat View Post
    You think you're gonna get very far when you're quoting wikipedia....and the weekly standard, a neo-con news-rag?

No, obviously not.

Many Muslim women wear the hijab out of modesty, because lets face it, in this day and age the West is becoming a society of lewdness, where sex is being embraced and glorified. Girls wearing lowcuts and really short shorts where their ass-cheeks hang out is becoming the norm. When a bunch of girls are dressing up like sluts, who can blame Muslim women for trying to modest? Some muslim women even say that wearing the hijab empowers them.
    Thanks for understanding feelings of muslim women and thanks for supporting their right to hijab and someone asked there is no ban on hijab in france, that's a news to me, they cant wear hijab on jobs, schools, universities , pools etc. so where do you suppose them to wear hijab at home before mehrams mean men with whom they can't marry or they have already married? where there is no use of this ? verry funny.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast