Thread: So, which IS 2.04 faction is most fun for a long campaign?

Primicerius

Default So, which IS 2.04 faction is most fun for a long campaign?

Just as the title states: which 2.04 faction is considered the most fun (game) by the developers of this great mod?

Also, does the team advise to switch to 3-4 turns per year or is the mod optimized for 2 turns per year?

Default Re: So, which IS 2.04 faction is most fun for a long campaign?

the number of turns is just the question whether you like or don't like snow battles....

I think the most enjoyable factions are

Russia. It has quite bad infantry and nice artillery, if you like artillery Russia is good.

The Safavids have propably seen the biggest review from Vanilla. You have tough enemies and you will have something else than endless battle lines.
    The same goes for Ottomans, Mughals and Marathas of course.

Poland is very interesting as well. You will have to rely on Cavalry rather than infantry to win, which is pretty hard against your Prussian and Austrian Neighbors.

France also offers a lot of different things to do. You must defend northern and southern america and europe. Different methods being needed in each theatre.

My favourite faction have always been the Ottomans though

It is a tough choice indeed

I prefer 3 turns per year since I'm not a fan of winter battles...

For a long campaign, personally I like:

- The Ottomans -- as LK says a great campaign that provides a nice break from European armies.

- The British -- a naval oriented campaign with multi-theater action. Probably the faction that gives you the most 'leeway' in that you can decide where to make your mark. If you enjoy naval battles this is a great faction.

- Russia -- two very different fronts, with the north vs. Sweden and the south vs. those pesky Caucasian twerps. Awesome artillery.

- Spain -- probably my favorite; enmeshed in multiple theaters, resources stretched thin, an empire on the decline.

- France -- also great fun, with an exciting war to wage in North America (which is all the more fun with the new Native American revamp which will be released shortly).

Overall, Spain and the Ottomans are my two favorites.

My favourite has always been Spain

*Kinda a rough start, though ..

-You have an impudent retard as leader which causes you to be despised worldwide

-many little regions in far-away countries (italy, belgium),

-your trade lanes will be constantly raided by the barbary states

-a minor frontier foothold which will suck up millions from your treasury to defend from the native americans

*but after the rainfall the sun will break through ..

-Vast colonies in America (+ the biggest of the 3 protectorates)

-superior trade vessels (galleons)

-valuable alliance with France (if you keep them happy, no worries from the north)

-access to light infantry from the start of the game (guerillas, miquelets)

Prussia or Britain for me, depending on my mood - either strategic or tactical. If I'm in a strategic mood, then its Britain for the joy of multi-theater empire building. If I'm in a tactical mood, then Prussia for the land battles.

Portugal is fun. But one thing you have to do is just say NO to Goa, and move troops from Goa and invade Ceylon. They are in the best position to pursue a diplomatic route, as long as you can take spain. The north is easily defended from french and the south is easily defended from the Morrocans. One thing though is that both their artillery and cavalry are subpar. THeir line infantry are great though and their light infantry kick a lot of butt, and you get them from the get-go.

I plated Austria and Denmark in long campaign. I have a lot of reskin mods and both campaigns plated out well and the battles looked great. If you play Denmark be sure to add the Danish admiralty submod for IS. I also play 3 turns per year.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=286580
    Last edited by Jihada; September 03, 2009 at 09:15 PM.

It's hard to say which faction is "most fun" because it depends on your play style. Britain is probably the easiest IMO, you don't have to worry about being attacked in Europe since the AI seems to have problems with naval invasions, so you can just shift all your forces to another theater. Russia is heavily land based, you are probably going to have to fight along a huge front stretching throughout Eastern Europe and Asia. My personal favorite is probably United Provinces, as you are in a tough position at the start and will get steamrolled if you try to expand quickly in Europe.

For me its gotta be Venice. You start in a position where you will be going head-to-head with either the Austrians or the Ottomans, or if you're very unlucky, both. Seeming as pretty much every faction will dominate you either by land, by sea or has the economic power to outpace you (not to mention your lack of a school), you have to be very careful not to make anyone angry while you slowly build up your very average military and use political savvy to achieve your aims where possible. Whats also good is you have the freedom to start colonising where you want to rather than expanding on what you're given, which i personally much prefer doing. I imagine there are more challenging factions than Venice but making what is essentially a minor faction into a major world power is lots of fun

Heartfire's Avatar Ordinarius

I always found Venice to be a good challenge, without being super hard. If you march against the Italian States you can get the school you may need, and then you have a major advantage against all other Italian opponents, being as you control the only two major cities of Italy, and Spain doesn't usually put much money into their Italian budget.

That's actually kind of funny because in my last campaign Spain conquered Italy.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

Heartfire's Avatar Ordinarius

Really?? In all my campaigns the Italian States take over Southern Italy and then Venice or Genoa takes Lombardy...

Geleco's Avatar Domesticus

Prussia for me, I love starting so small in a tiny little pocket of Europe and then become the largest nation in Europe by the time you finish the campaign. Kind of like Maratha, only in Europe. I dislike the republican flag, though...