Thread: XIV MAARC - Nominations

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default XIV MAARC - Nominations

Nominate AARs for September contest.

The nominated AAR must have at least 2 updates in September.

Give the following info:

Title (as link)

Game: RTW / M2TW / ETW

Mod:

Difficulty:

Faction:

Short Description / Teaser
    Last edited by molls; September 07, 2009 at 08:00 AM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Default Re: XIV MAARC - Nominations

Vengeance and Glory - An Irish AAR

An AAR for M2TW: Kingdoms modifications, Stainless Steel 6.1

Playing on VH/VH as Ireland

Prince Domnall, known mostly as Michael but called Domnall by his parents, is a prince who has hardly tested his mettle and metal in combat.
    He fights an inner struggle amongst himself to push away a darkness that envelops him, using his friends and brother as a strong pillar for support... Away from his friends, on a campaign in England - Started by his warmongering father, whom Domnall also does not know whether to respect or hate - The darkness envelops him, and he starts the fight for his life... Whether his life is his sanity... Or life in combat...

We follow his exploits in Ireland and his healthy alliance with his Scottish brothers, together they form a three way alliance with the French and fight the terrible and powerful English... For better or for worse.
    Spoiler for Teaser for Chapter 6
    A tempting offer is offered to Domnall with the attack of Exeter... An offer to solve one of his earliest problems with his father... Will he take it? - Teaser, chapter 6.

Last edited by Nazgūl Killer; September 26, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

The Might of Wales

M2TW

Vanilla, Kingdoms Expansion, Britania Campain

H/H

Wales

And a few samples from his opening Update

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My name is Duwalyn In Powyff, and I’ve been a member of the royal court of Wales for several years now’, the man explains to you, after you have asked him for his name. ‘I shall tell you about the history of Wales, if that is what interests you.’ When his eyes fell upon the large number of scrolls in your backpack, a slight smile appears on his face. ‘I noticed that you are some sort of chronicler, for that number of paper scrolls is way too large to be an inventory list of one’s properties, ay?’ When you tell him that you are indeed a chronicler who travels across the country to collect all sorts of stories from peasant and noble alike, Duwalyn answers; ‘If you like to hear and write down stories, then you sure are going to love this one!’ After you followed him into one of Montgomery’s many pubs, you both order a few pints of ale, and the both of you settle down into a corner, close to a window with a nice view on the street which runs in front of the pub. Duwalyn begins to tell his tale.

A general overview of the Welsh Royal family

King Llywelyn
    Llywelyn ap Gruffydd was declared King of Wales after the death of his father, and was so with help of his younger brother Dafydd. Llywelyn is considered the Hero of Wales, because his nerve to resist the English has made him extremely popular amongst the people. He raises the morale of his countrymen to such level, no average monarch can match him. Because he is the son of the legendary Gruffudd the Great, his authority is likewise very high. He was raised in the fort of Caernarvon by the best military tutors his father could find. Due to this youth, his military skills are nearly unmatched by English generals and kings alike. You expect such a military genius to be equally cruel to his people, but on the contrary, he is considered an example of chivalry. His relatively young age makes him a very promising king in the future, whatever that will bring him.

(Sorry if the Preview is a bit long, never nominated anyone before)
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

ALZU's Avatar Campidoctor

TIMURID APOCALYPSE
    By ALZU
    M2TW Vanilla

A Danish Survival AAR

(Bandwith exceeded, images restored on the 18 of this month)
    TIMURID APOCALYPSE

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Alexander Reborn

By "Lysimachus".

Quotes:

"Damn! I'm a fool not to have looked through this before! Those battles you showed were really good, and the mixture of map shots, writing, action and battles make this possible the best balanced AAR I've ever seen!" - Son of Alexander

"One word: Epic." - Alkibiades"

"wow it 's one of the best aar i have read..i love the pics and the story as well as:very well balanced" - Giovi

"This is one of my favourite AARs..." - Messiah

"REALLY good AAR keep it coming" - Warburg

"I love how you by merely showing and explaining the battle demonstrate what's happening in the campaign. You did a great job with the pictures in the battles too." - dezkeizer

An Extract:

Philip's death had destabilised the Kingdom greatly and with no true heir, the two most capable and significant men in his domain took it upon themselves to assume power for themselves. While Deukalos amassed an army and prepared to meet Amphion in battle, the latter unfortunately had to destroy two large Egyptian armies which had been congregating at Halicarnassus to maintain the loyalty of the followers he had. Since Asia Minor was merely a Macedonian conquest, the loyalty of the inhabitants for the time being was dubious and even though their military capability was poor, he needed anything he could get his hands on. Why did the Civil War have to occur while practically ALL of the major powers in the region were trying to chip away and hopefully pull a decisive blow to knock out what was simply seen as "another Diadochi state"? It would truely take a man of genius to see Macedon through this hellish time and if Amphion died it would be almost certain that Deukalos would destroy the Kingdom in one way or another since he simply wasn't as capable. Of course, the challenge facing the young genius was quite an immense task and would require flawless execution. This would begin with a baptism of fire when he arrives in Lycia to avenge his father's death.

- Never Near Argos -

By Mediolanicus

an RTW campaign
    with Europa Barbarorum
    on VH/M difficulty
    about Epeiros

Quote Originally Posted by MIDN Mainolfi View Post
    Your writing has a feel to it that I think will get many people hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Eagle View Post
    It has that "history book" feel, but in the good way.

Quote Originally Posted by sinner View Post
    you have a unique style, this feels like a historical account of pyrrhos' campaigns coupled with the explanatory notes and views of the autor/historian, rather than a fictional AAR...looking forward to see how it evolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochos VII Sidetes View Post
    Clever indeed. I tried this style with my RSII AAR, but your prose as a historian seems to lend itself more credence than my meager efforts did.

A little teaser:

This is a letter 265 from a Latin soldier in the Roman auxiliary corps to family in Latium. The letter can be found in the conlectio epistoliorum Latini, which can be found in the library of Roma.

AVE . IVLIE .

INSIDIAS . MAXIMITAS . DEPVGNAVIMVS . PLERVSQVE . MANIPULI . CAESI . SVNT . BONVS . SVM . DEFECTORES . SAMNITOS . IN . FORESTA . VMBRA . ERANT . CENTIES . MILLE . BELLATORES . ESSET . OFFVNDERUNT . ALIQVI . BOVES . PYRRHI . AVDIVERVNT . DICVNT . ACCVREBAM . CELERE . MVLTI . ACCVREBANT . ATROX . ERAT .

VALE . MARCVS .

Greetings Julius,

We have fought hard in a great ambush. A great many of our men were killed. With me, all is well. It were Samnite rebels in the Ghostly Forest. It must have been a hundred thousand warriors who overwhelmed us. Some say they have heard the Pyrrhic oxen. I ran, quickly. Many ran away. It was terrible.

Stay in good health, Marcus.

Game(s):
    RTW:ROP & RTW:PI & RTW:EB
    Faction(s):

1. Persia
    2. Rome

Difficulty:
    Varries from mod. I only used hard or v.hard settings so far.
    Description:
    History of men is a project unlike any other. It tries to write the whole spectrum of history in a single AAR. It goes back to the Rise of Persia around 550BC and will see the rise and fall of the roman empire (current status) and continue through medieval times to the discovery of america, modern times and world wars. It is written less in a narrative form, but rather as a compilation of fictional historical sources.
    Teaser:
    A history of Rome, by Prof Alfred Kennard, 2002 New York

In the year 216 BC the Romans won the important sea battle of Thiro against the Carthaginians, securing sea superiority in northern Mediterranean Sea. The battle actually consisted of three separate sea engagements in over two weeks. The Carthaginians tried to flank the Roman fleet with faster ships, but the Roman tactic of boarding enemy ships with ground troops proved to be superior. In total the Romans lost 45 ships, while the Carthaginians lost about 90 ships. This victory secured the vital sea trade and transportation of troops to Spain.

This map shows a reconstruction of the Battle of Thiro. 1) The Roman fleet under Admiral Decimus Papirus Turdus gets attacked near the port of Thiro by the Carthaginian Admiral Bodinelquart. After his defeat Bodinelquart retreats and regroups to the west. A few days later Turdus gets attacked at 2) again by Admiral Tabnit with the main fleet, but this battle is indecissive. The Romans move further west where Tabnit atacks with his mainfleet at 3) again.Bodinelquart regrouped at 4) and moved to the battle trying to flank the Romans. Though the Romans suffer signifianct casualties, they are able to rout the enemy fleet.

messiah's Avatar Semisalis

The Antigonid

Game - Rome: Total War

Modification: Diadochi: Total War for Barbarian Invasion expansion pack.

Difficulty: Very Hard/Very Hard

Faction: The Kingdom of Makedonia

Description:

This is an AAR concerning one up-start family member of the Antigonid dynasty of Makedonia - Deukalos. The story begins with him leading an army against his grandfather's, King Antigonos Gonatas', better judgment in Thrace. In time he proves himself a talented commander, a good friend, a wise man and a loving father.

This AAR can involve any reader, as Deukalos needs officers and generals who will make their mark on the story, make sudden turns and maybe even completely change it!

Rising Stars

Playing on Rome: Total War, using Roma Surrectum.

The difficulty is H/VH, I'm playing with the Romans.

Teaser:

Amulius frowned when a senator proposed yet another unnecessary law. He had expected to marshal his army around the calends of March and to cross the Adriatic Sea in April at the latest. The ides of March were long past and the calends of April were approaching. But the more conservative members of the Senate were having cold feet about his pet project of invading Epirus and refused to examine it, using the gravitas of the senior consul to delay everything he tried. With each passing day, the campaigning season shrank and the Epirotes had time to levy and train new forces. What was the use of regulations on barley-weighing for the army when you didn’t allow the army to convene and march, he wanted to shout. Why couldn’t they let him do what he wanted ? He fidgeted uncomfortably and decided he wouldn’t be made a fool of any longer. He called one of his lictor to his side and asked him to fetch him the tribunes of the plebs.

He made quite a show of talking to the ten plebeians while ignoring the pompous senator delivering his lengthy speech on the floor of the Curia. Immediately afterwards, five tribunes left the hall and went outside while two others went to the side of the ranter and, lifting him by his armpits, manhandled him to his seat. The whole assembly rose in outrage, but the three remaining tribunes stood near their colleagues and voiced their prerogatives. The senators were dumbstruck.

After that, Amulius did not waste time.

‘Is there anyone who is willing to forfeit his life? If so, let him try his luck against one of these five gentlemen,’ he called. ‘No one? I thought so as well. Now, you lot better damn listen!’

Such a coarse language was not often heard in the Curia or at least not so loudly.

‘Five of the tribunes are outside and asking the plebs to meet and vote without you to go to war with Epirus. There is no way you can bypass that. So, your only remaining possibility is to get the work done and to give me imperium over legions to wage this war. Either that or I’ll make sure none of you or your sons can get elected next year by exposing you as the cowards you are!’

There was some mumbling after such a speech but not much willingness to go and explain to the people why delaying the war was necessary. In a matter of minutes, Amulius was made imperator of the northern legions and was given absolute power to implement this however he saw fit. This was confirmed an hour later, when the comites agreed by acclamation on the Forum.

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

'Rķ Inse Ghall'

Faction/Mod: N/A
    Description: Caelus fights in a climactic battle to gain control of Camulodunum and all the while the delegates of Rome and Carthage approach...

Latest chapter: Chapter 34: Sleepwalking
    Teaser:

Similar scenes of carnage were being wreaked on the other parts of the enemy line. The Crosfares took no real casualties as they moved swiftly through the tide of humanity. Within minutes, all the Iceni would be dead and the Celtic Battle for Camulodunum would be won. Caelus let himself relax.

Too early to relax.

He realised, too late, that he had been surrounded by hostile spearmen, a small contingent of die-hards. His defences were lowered… he cursed mentally as he tried to raise his sword. Shield butts erupted to force him to the ground. He saw 5 iron heads take aim and wind back for the powerful release…

Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius

Mod: RoG

H/M

Romans of Gaul

Since his accession as Duke of Gaul, Syagrius has won and lost battles, killed Germans, met with legends. And yet, the threat before him is greater than anything he has ever faced -- a shade out of the ancient past comes bearing gifts of ambiguous loyalty, a master strategist in the East pits metal and mind against the Rhenus defenses...

And across the world, the fires of rebellion and war burn and simmer.

Teaser:

"Ready your javelins!" Scudilio roared. The Roman infantry locked shields and raised their lethal missiles, arms cocked back to throw.

In front of them, the Franks slowed, and then stopped. They reached to their sides and backs, withdrawing strange, curved axes...

Scudilio groaned. "Fransiscas! Men! Shields at the ready!"

Roman and Frank launched missile; sword and spear crossed paths in their respectively deadly arcs.

Franks fell; javelins pierced unarmored skin, neck, arm. Some even penetrated the strong chainmail the Germans wore. It was a volley worthy of any cohort of legionaries.

But the fransiscas...

They hurtled into the densely packed Roman ranks like the solid wave of sharpened metal they were. Legionaries were split in half by the ferocious missile assault; the shieldwall, apparently so strong, disintegrated. And then they charged...

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Solid Snake's Avatar Vicarius

Vanilla RTW
    H/H

War has broken between two nations, Germania has decided to counterattack, their campaign will ravage Britannia, can they live with what will happen? The war affects all, children, women, men, they all suffer death. Is it really worth it?

Teaser
    Men! There you see the invaders! Do not be fooled by their looks, they will kill every single one of us if they get the chance. And once we“re dead, our families are next, are you going to let these monsters destroy all that you love?” he asked with a roar. The nearly a thousand men that accompanied him roared back in defiance. “This is war! There will be no cowards! There will be no prisoners! There will be no mercy! Death to the Germanic invaders!” he yelled, trusting his sword into the air.
    His army answered him with a single word, a single chant, a single roar that could be heard all the way back to the mother land. The Britons roared: “DEATH!!!!”

“Just over there you hear the Briton dogs.” Etelgis said as he paced in front of his men. “Rest assured, they want nothing more than death for all of us, death for you families, and death to our honored traditions. The Britons were the ones to first spill German blood on this war. We make them pay today!” he said, encouraging his men to give a howl back to the enemy. “We are the head of the spear, we are the vanguard of the King, we have the honor to be the first to strike back, so grab the spear and ready the steel, today we shed Briton blood!” he roared, the army gave a mighty howl that matched the crashing thunder of Briton voices. The armies rushed into battle.

Do check my AAR "The Proud Blood of Germania"
    Formerly known as JerichoOnlyFan.
    And my other AAR: "The Black Serpent"