Thread: Does Anyone Have Ideas For Amazon Ethnic Traits?

Default Does Anyone Have Ideas For Amazon Ethnic Traits?

Sometime in the next few months I intend to implement the ethnic traits from Extended Cultures. For those not familiar with them, they add traits that flesh out generals. For example, the Roman Generals might have either a Patrician or Equite trait to show their social class. They might also have a Optimate or Populares trait denoting their politics. Likewise the Greeks have Democrat and Oligarch traits. They also have a trait that denotes what city they are from (of Athens, of Pergamum, etc...).

Since I am going to do this for factions like the Greeks and Romans, I want to do the same for the Amazon factions. For Amazonia and the Gorgons I can see a trait for people who were born into the aristocracy and another for those who worked their way up to it. I will probably call the first trait Aristos. I am not sure what to call the second. Maybe something Greek for "New Woman"?

I am also thinking of a trait for former members of the Companions. This would work for Amazonia, the Valkyrja, and the Gorgons. It would only be given to adoptions and women of the hour. I could make a similar trait for the Bean Sidhe for a former bodyguard member as well (they do not have Companion Cavalry).

I might create "of city x" traits for Amazonia, the Valkyrja, and the Bean Sidhe.

Otherwise, I have no ideas. I could really use some more for the Valkyrja and Bean Sidhe especially to show social background and politics. But they could all use more. Does anyone else have ideas? Right now I am not looking to write the code, just brainstorm ideas.

Edit: So far I am looking at this as a basic framework:

Amazonia
    Aristocrat / New Woman
    Of Myrina, Of Trapezus, Of Themiskyra
    Former Companion
    Descendant of Penthesilea

Valkyrja
    Pureblood / New Blood
    Of Careotae / Of Vanahemir / Of Melanchlaeni
    Former Companion
    Monarchist / Democrat

Gorgons
    Aristocrat / New Woman
    Tritoni / Gorgon / Pallantid
    Former Companion
    Descendant of Myrine

Bean Sidhe
    Wolf / Raven / Horse / Shark (military branches)
    Pureblood / New Blood
    Of Tir na nOg / Of Tir Tairngire
    Former Bodyguard
    Last edited by Subrosa Florens; September 03, 2009 at 03:14 PM.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Does Anyone Have Ideas For Amazon Ethnic Traits?

Hmm... I'll have to do a some brainstorming. I'll see what I can come up with.

olivtown's Avatar Foederatus

For the gorgons you could have a trait that allows them to trace back their family lines to the ruling counsil of triton or something along those lines.

That gives me an idea. They could have a trait based on their original tribe: Tritoni, Gorgon, or Pallantid. Thank you olivtown.

How about a "Descendant of Penthelisa" (that Amazon queen who fought and fell against Achilles, I can't seem to remember her exact name ) trait?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    How about a "Descendant of Penthelisa" (that Amazon queen who fought and fell against Achilles, I can't seem to remember her exact name ) trait?
    Penthesilea. The starting faction heir of Amazonia is named after her, and carries her spear (I guess I know who is a good candidate for that trait... )

That is a good idea. I could also do a descendant of Myrine for the Gorgons.

In a similar vein, I will include a pair of opposing traits for the Valkyrja and Bean Sidhe to denote if they are from pure Amazon blood (descended from their original colonists), or if they are partially from local stock. Right now I am calling them Pureblood / New Blood.

The good thing about this is that it will also help me flesh out the backgrounds of all the factions. I am thinking of adding a pair of opposing Monarchist / Democrat traits for the Valkyrja. The first will be for a person who believes that they should have their own Queen and officially recognized aristocracy, just as the Gorgons and Amazonia do. The second is your regular Valkyrja.

I am also thinking that perhaps instead of the Bean Sidhe having a Queen, they might instead be a military dictatorship. In this case their ruler would be something like a Grand Strategos (Arche Strategos?), their Heir her Second in command, etc... That would make them a bit different from all the other Amazon factions, which at least have a civil government.
    Last edited by Subrosa Florens; September 02, 2009 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Subrosa Florens View Post
    Penthesilea.
    Yeah, that's her.
    That is a good idea. I could also do a descendant of Myrine for the Gorgons.

In a similar vein, I will include a pair of opposing traits for the Valkyrja and Bean Sidhe to denote if they are from pure Amazon blood (descended from their original colonists), or if they are partially from local stock. Right now I am calling them Pureblood / New Blood.

The good thing about this is that it will also help me flesh out the backgrounds of all the factions. I am thinking of adding a pair of opposing Monarchist / Democrat traits for the Valkyrja. The first will be for a person who believes that they should have their own Queen and officially recognized aristocracy, just as the Gorgons and Amazonia do. The second is your regular Valkyrja.
    I like it.
    I am also thinking that perhaps instead of the Bean Sidhe having a Queen, they might instead be a military dictatorship. In this case their ruler would be something like a Grand Strategos (Arche Strategos?), their Heir her Second in command, etc... That would make them a bit different from all the other Amazon factions, which at least have a civil government.
    I like that as well. Some ideas for traits that come to mind are traits denoting what caste they come from, such as whether they're citizens from the warrior caste, individuals from lower castes that distinguished themselves in battle, etc.. You might try looking at the Spartan class system (Homoioi, Periokoi, Hypomiones, etc.) for some inspiration there.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    I like that as well. Some ideas for traits that come to mind are traits denoting what caste they come from, such as whether they're citizens from the warrior caste, individuals from lower castes that distinguished themselves in battle, etc.. You might try looking at the Spartan class system (Homoioi, Periokoi, Hypomiones, etc.) for some inspiration there.
    Funny you mention that, because over at Mod Realms someone just gave me the idea of having people associated with animal totems. What I am going to do is go with the idea of the Bean Sidhe being a pure military dictatorship, and have each branch of service identified by a particular animal totem. Wolf, Raven, Horse, and Shark. It is not exactly the same as a class system, but it is a similar form of sub-division.