Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How would England recruit troops, abroad ?

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

Default How would England recruit troops, abroad ?

British land army was mainly from Germans, and Dutchmen .Amongst British there mainly were Scotts,no English almost . Also Portuguese in 1808
    It would be ridiculous if British player was recruiting army in English provinces,what do you think?
    Highly against real life history .
    How would the game mechanics co-op with the fact that in The Napoleonic Wars British army was mainly Foreign ?
    Last edited by Edelward; September 01, 2009 at 10:54 AM.
    Fitz Salnarville, Duke William's favourite knyghte,
    To noble Edelwarde his life dyd yielde;
    Withe hys tylte launce hee stroke with thilk a myghte,
    The Norman's bowels steemde upon the feeld.
    Old Salnarville beheld hys son lie ded, 235
    Against Erie Edelward his bowe-strynge drewe;
    But Harold at one blowe made tweine his head;
    He dy'd before the poignant arrowe flew.
    So was the hope of all the issue gone,
    And in one battle fell the sire and son

Default Re: How would England recruit troops, abroad ?

Err what?

Quote Originally Posted by emperorpenguin View Post
    Err what?
    That's what
    'British land army was mainly from Germans, and Dutchmen .Amongst British there mainly were Scotts,no English . Also Portuguese in 1808
    It would be ridiculous if British player was recruiting army in English provinces,what do you think?
    How would the game mechanics co-op with the fact that in The Napoleonic Wars British army was mainly Foreign ?'

British units were recruited within Britian (for the most part) foreign units for this period were often prisioners of war I believe recruited in England. The Kings German Legion was recruited from those who'd fled Hannover (in theory) I believe in England too (though not entirely sure). The Portuguese troops where a seperate army which fought with the British army. So I think recruiting in Britian is perfectly fine.

I STILL have very little idea what you are trying to say.....

Are you saying there were no ENGLISH soldiers?
    Last edited by Astaroth; September 01, 2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: insult removed

Quote Originally Posted by killerchinchilla View Post
    British units were recruited within Britian (for the most part) foreign units for this period were often prisioners of war I believe recruited in England. The Kings German Legion was recruited from those who'd fled Hannover (in theory) I believe in England too (though not entirely sure). The Portuguese troops where a seperate army which fought with the British army. So I think recruiting in Britian is perfectly fine.
    They did not have even 30 th of them .Do you think such number can be comparable to numbers of other European states involved ,no.It would not .So British players must be restricted to maximum in recruiting .

Quote Originally Posted by Edelward View Post
    They did not have even 30 th of them .Do you think such number can be comparable to numbers of other European states involved ,no.It would not .So British players must be restricted to maximum in recruiting .
    30th what? Sorry I don't understand. If your saying Britain should have some sort of troop limit, well maybe but then so would everyone else.

The biggest English contribution was 24 thousands in Waterloo .
    Comparing it to numbers other armies in that war had it is too little to notice.
    Letting British to recruit land forces as others would be a lie against the history.

Will those other nations be restricted in ship numbers?

Some of them did not had navy at all. But land no .
    Why should anyone want to represent the facts different ?

The biggest English contribution was 24 thousands in Waterloo .
    Comparing it to numbers other armies in that war had it is too little to notice.
    Letting British to recruit land forces as others would be a lie against the history.
    Wrong, the biggest British contribution was 50,000 at Vitoria in Spain 1813.

The British world-wide forces in January 1811 amounted to 305,870. It is up to YOU as the player to decide where to put them.

And why have not they fought Napoleon letting Russians and Germans to do that ?
    What were they doing fighting Americans,Africans and Indians for their lands? Ok British were afraid that by getting Netherlands French would get over Ceylon,which they submitted in,1815,still can it be really relevant to import of battles on European theaters in that time?.Battle of New Orleans,1815, which Brits lost also was not a part of The Napoleonic Wars .
    The numbers you must link to because otherwise its only empty suggestion.Why did not they put them vs Napoleon then ?
    Last edited by Edelward; September 01, 2009 at 12:57 PM.

Wrong, the biggest British contribution was 50,000 at Vitoria in Spain 1813.

The British world-wide forces in January 1811 amounted to 305,870. It is up to YOU as the player to decide where to put them.
    Well, that's totally misleading. The US forces worldwide in 1811 were 230,000, French on the order of 2M. Those types of numbers aren't representative of the actual boots on the ground. The British Army was strained to put 35K in Spain. They resorted to recruiting Spanish and incorporating Portuguese, which were limited to service in the Peninsula by their terms of recruitment. And then they *still* could only field around 50K men.

Regardless of whether you want to use the "total armed forces" number or the more accurate combat troop counts, the ratio between Britain and the land powers doesn't change, nor does the fact that they didn't have the capability to raise more.

I really get the feeling a lot of you guys want to turn the Napoleonic wars into a knock-down between the British and French armies. (Without any compensatory decrease in unit quality for converting the British Army to a mass army, presumably.) If that happens, I'm going to write a review for the PC mags slamming the game. I'm tired of the bias. Get it right.

Don't put words into my mouth Randall. I know full well they could not all be deployed vs Boney. My point was the game allows YOU as the player to decide where to put your resources.
    I am a huge Napoleonic nut and know full well it wasn't Britain v France alone. But neither do I appreciate some of the petty anti-British jibes I've been seeing.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; September 01, 2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Insulting.

Just a thought, but if Britain were to have some sort of troop limits then would it also follow that the British player would have to fund everyone elses armies?

Very true!

REQUIEM's Avatar Senator

British land army was mainly from Germans, and Dutchmen .Amongst British there mainly were Scotts,no English . Also Portuguese in 1808
    How would the game mechanics co-op with the fact that in The Napoleonic Wars British army was mainly Foreign ?
    Yes britain did recruit from within britain, also due to the fact that britain had an empire we had troops from different countrys. As did france they had polish lancers etc.....

Logue's Avatar Semisalis

Sticking to history is not the point of the game, the game should be somewhat accurate at the start (which in empire it isnt). The minute you hit the turn button anything goes and you do as you please. Unit caps are stupid imo, if you can afford the upkeep you should be able to recruit as many units as you want.

Don't put words into my mouth Randall. I know full well they could not all be deployed vs Boney. My point was the game allows YOU as the player to decide where to put your resources.
    I am a huge Napoleonic nut and know full well it wasn't Britain v France alone. But neither do I appreciate some of the petty anti-British jibes I've been seeing.
    The "petty anti-British jibes" consist of us making the point that we don't want Britain to be overpowered in the game! We want the potential for nations to be somewhat near historical levels so that the force balance will be somewhat near historical levels.

The "jibes" come in when posters insist they be given the opportunity for their country to field an army twice as strong as they actually did. It doesn't matter if they're Austrian or Spanish or British or French - any nation 2x powered will skew the game out of recognition!
    Last edited by YD23; September 01, 2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Insulting quote edited

Your fanboyism is far worser ,then just sticking to facts policy of mine .

I am no fanboy. But the content of your posts = Britain sucks

You are posting your opinion, not facts. Every nation was limited in size of armies. If you as the player choose to recruit more soldiers than Britain really had, you can. It is a GAME of ALTERNATE history, not a recreation.

And you are not presenting any facts. You claimed 24000 was the largest British force. Partridge and Oliver "The Napoleonic Army Handbook" says it was 50000 at Vittoria. I will debate facts with you but you have to provide sources.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast