Thread: Simple Question on legions

Default Simple Question on legions

I just wondered whether other factions in real history really have legions as part of the fighting team, like selecuid, armenian or numidian legionaries, because I hardly found any websites of them. Thanks

I think there were some imitation legions in the Carthaginian army.
    Keep this site happy & report flamming and abusive posts ASAP
    Everytime I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain -Homer (Simpson)
    Under the Honoured Patronage of the Divus Sulla. Please visit The Living Past Forum
    Patron of the Civitates Ozymandias & Dan_Grr

Libertus

that is an interesting question, I too would like to know if that were true. I would guess, though, that knowing how effective the roman legions were, other armies may have attempted to imitate them. They would probably be of lesser quality than a roman legionary, but this very well could have happened. Just a guess though, as ive never read anything that speaks of this.

"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the way to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed" -Sun Tzu, Art of War

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

The Carthaginians did not have them, as far as I can tell.
    The Seleucids were to used to the Greek way of fighting and then went for an Eastern modeled army.
    Others I really could not say...

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Imitiation legionaries are a historical fact. Some belonged to Roman client kings, and some belonged to Rome's enemies. The imitation legionary phenomenon seems to have been limited to the eastern Mediterranean.

(Of course imitation is the norm rather than the exception in military history, so the Roman example is by no means unique.)
    "In war, with its enormous friction, even the mediocre is quite an achievement" - Moltke

I just read, in Polybius' Rise of the Roman Empire, that the Carthaginians at Cannae - the African heavy infantry - had been equipped with captured Roman equipment from previous engagements. OTher than that, I've never heard of Seleucid legionaries or Numidian copies... Armenian copies like in the game, but I follow Pompeius.

Turnus's Avatar il Flagello dei Buffoni

Numidian Legionaries date from 213 B.C.:
    Quote Originally Posted by Livy 24.48
    Statorius...organized them very much after the Roman pattern, gave them instruction in forming up, maneuvering, following the standards, and keeping formation, and accustomed them to the various regular military duties, including fortification...
    Force Diplomacy Modifications for Rise of Persia 2.11 Beta and Roma Surrectum 1.5a.
    Member of S.I.N.
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix