Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Marcellinus and Postumus

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Marcellinus and Postumus

There might be enough legions dear senator but if all the legions are fighting the Illyrians which legion will defend the province against the Greeks? Who will run the province if the magistrate is fighting in an other country?

I do not think it is wise to send the magistrate of to war in an other region, this might be a sign for a rebellion remember the province is still full of rebellious rumours.

The old man sat down again.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Yet, if we sit back and do not counter attack, before we know it, more stacks of troops will be storming us from Illyria. The best defense is a good offense.

Hadn't we already sent a Senator to negociate peace with the Greeks? What has occured with that task?

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

ooc; i sent a diplomate, but need the save (which i think is mine at the moment) and i need to end turn in order to reach them

ooc: the latest save is in the save thread. I don't think we have anything else to do this turn, right? let's just move on.
    Last edited by Ozy; September 10, 2009 at 01:59 PM.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

ooc no i need to move towards Africa, which i haven't gotten around to yet, the save is mine, but i will post a new one tommorow, and i will end the turn

From what little report the consuls have brought us, I can only guess at the state of the east and west, let alone Africa and Sicily. We will need detailed reports so hat we know what is going on in the world. We need to know if the quaestor's building plans has been implemented. We need to know the state of the people's opinion to Roman rule in the provinces, and the state of the economy there so that we may better train our legions and have a large reserve to help us in the coming wars.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Senator Rutulus, i think you should read the last report of Consul Postumus again. He clearly states that the situation in the West is under control, the cities are under Roman LAW again there are no more rumours about rebellions nor about discontent about Roman presence.

I believe we have send Postumus to the West to stabilize the region for the Magistrate who is going to govern it. It is my believe that Consul Postumus has succeeded the job he was send to do.

The old man sat down again, he was curious how the other senators would react. He wondered, what more could Postumus do, the province is stable and no signs of unrest are to be found.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; September 11, 2009 at 09:22 AM.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

three messangers enter the curia at the same time.

the first messanger steps forward, and reads a letter from consul Marcellinus

Senators, i bring you word of my victory over the Qarthadasim army that has invaded Africa.

the army was suprisingly small and upon my arrival attempted to flee, determined to show them the error of their ways i gave chase and eventually managed to gain battle near a small oasis.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

we had seriously over estimated their strength, but the senate will be please to hear that few survived there actions.

I would also like to mention a young senator who has accomplanied me, a man by the name of Quintus Licinius Cato, who personally slew the Qarthadasim general.

The end results were very good, with only 2 Romans dieing for Rome

I currently wait at our borders. Senators i ask, shall i attack and detroy Qarthadasim?

If the answer is yes then i would also like to request 10,000 denari, half for myself, and half for Consul Posthumus, if Consul Posthumus isn't to be involved then 5,000 would be fine. This would be used in the hiring of local allies and mercinaries to help support our citizens. Our infantry is beyond compare but we currently have no support at all.

May Jupitor bless Rome

Consul Lucius Primus Marcellinus
    After this the second messanger steps forward

I bring word from the envoy sent to Kronion Hellanios. They have refused the offer of peace. The envoy has tried to sweaten the deal with offers of trade, but has ultimatly failed.

He also sends word, that he has discovered that serveral cities are acting together with the Greeks in Crete. This includes the important city of Byzantium

Now the third messanger steps forward

Senators, I bring word from the North of Italia. The city of Patavium is under siege. The attack came with little warning but it appears to be the Illyrians responcible

Last edited by Raglan; September 11, 2009 at 09:30 AM.

ooc Quintus wasn't supposed to land in Africa he was on his way to Iberia but got attacked by Carthaginian ships. I asked you to land him there because if he stayed on the ships he would die.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

ooc; oh, aren't you supposed to lead an attack - oh wait that hasn't gone to vote yet, okay i'll edit it

We know that the West is subjugated, but we don't know to what extent, nor of the military forces stationed there. As for the East, from what little we've seen, it is an absolute mess. The consul should finish consolidating the west so that we may fully exploit the riches those mines offer. As for the East, since the Ilyrians have decided to attack us, then we must strike back in force, showing neither pity nor mercy.

And the situation with Carthage? Advance into those lands and exterminate that race once and for all.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Senator the Report on our military presence in the West was already delivered to the curia. I doubt that it has changed much since then. If you mean a report on the military forces of the adjacent tribes i have to agree with you. We have not seen such a report, but the senate has not asked for such a report nor was it one of the Consuls tasks to deliver such report to the senate.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; September 11, 2009 at 11:24 AM.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Aye, nor have we requested the Proconsul to send us his report. Furthermore, we have not even taken care of sending him an answer about the extended budget he has requested! I shall ask him to make a more detailed report as soon as possible...

As for the possible war in the East, I agree with the Pontiff, they have not attacked us, but they certainly plan to, trying to get into our land unnoticed. I would propose that the Law presented by *that old guy Hesus plays* would be separated into 2, and that they were voted.

Lex Ultimatum Illiricus.

I. The Proconsul of the East shall establish diplomatic relations with the Illyrians, and demand that the take their forces out of Roman territory by the end of the next season.

II. If they do not take their forces out by the set time, then the Proconsul will be authorized to drive the invaders out of our land by any means necessary.

Lex Proconsularis.

I.The Proconsul of the East is not authorized to invade the Illyrian lands without senatorial approval.

I again, request, no, demand that the Praetor moves these motions to vote! His absence when the Consuls are not present in the Senate shows a great lack of judgement and interest from his part. If he does not show up soon I will raise a non confidence vote against him!

I am afraid the motion is of no use any more my dear man. The Illyrians have declared war on us, the last report shows us an Illyrian army is sieging Patavium. Dark times have come and we need to prepare the legions for a war with two nations. We have no choice but fight on two fronts at this time. The consuls for the next year should fight the Illyrians as well as the Carthaginians.

I would like to present the following motions.

Lex Proconsularis.

I.The Proconsul of the East is not authorized to invade the Illyrian lands without senatorial approval. His main task will exist out of defending the province.

II. When a consul arrives in the province they both will deliberate about the actions of an offensive nature to destroy Illyria

Lex Illyria

I. one of the consuls will be send to Greece to fight against the Illyrians.

II. The consul will take the command over the fighting in Greece but it will be in close cooperation with the Pro - consul.

III.The consuls presence in the province shall last for one year, the senate is able to recall the consul by a vote in the senate.

Lex Africana

I. One of the Consuls will be send to North Africa to destroy Carthage.

II. He will be given Imperium over all legions present in North Africa.

III. The consuls will stay in North Africa until the situation is stable.

IV. The consuls Imperium shall last one year, the senate is able to recall the consul by a vote in the senate.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Senator, those are good motions and i will second them, but didn't the consul also ask for a small budget to help him equip and recruit for his legions?

I will take a closer look at the scrolls and implement it, if the budget is reasonable.

Lex Proconsularis.

I.The Proconsul of the East is not authorized to invade the Illyrian lands without senatorial approval. His main task will exist out of defending the province.

II. When a consul arrives in the province they both will deliberate about the actions of an offensive nature to destroy Illyria.

Extra budget for the Eastern Province

I. The Pro consul shall be granted an extra budget of 6000 denarii.

Lex Illyria

I. one of the consuls will be send to Greece to fight against the Illyrians.

II. The consul will take the command over the fighting in Greece but it will be in close cooperation with the Pro - consul.

III.The consuls presence in the province shall last for one year, the senate is able to recall the consul by a vote in the senate.

Lex Africana

I. One of the Consuls will be send to North Africa to destroy Carthage.

II. He will be given Imperium over all legions present in North Africa.

III. The consuls will stay in North Africa until the situation is stable.

IV. The consuls Imperium shall last one year, the senate is able to recall the consul by a vote in the senate.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; September 11, 2009 at 01:10 PM.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I would support those. If only our Praetor was here to let us vote...

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

I also propose this motion,

Consulate finance

1 - that each of the consuls is granted a budget of 5000

2 - this budget may be used to equip and recruit for the legions that they are leading, not for themselves or for the cities

ooc; seriously the armies at the moment are just infantry, we have no missiles or cavalry

I agree, if we will have a war then we need to make sure our Consuls get the troops they need.

A letter,

Senators of Rome,

I write to you from the city of Apollonia, where I have decided to concentrate my operations while I make sure the province is well defended. I bring a report on the people's support to Rome. As you would have expected, the men and women of the East are not great supporters of Roman rule. We have, however, managed to take the situation to an acceptable level, enough to ensure that riots will not begin for at least some years.

As for the Illyrian troops at the North, they have retreated, not far from the border, but we will be careful to watch their every move.

As a side note, a small but dangerous plague has been rumored to have started at the Northern city of Pella. As soon as the new budget arrives I will begin the construction of a better sewer system in the city.

On brighter news, all of the construction projects of the East have already been finished, and now our people exploit the rich mines that kingdoms have fought for for centuries, and our gods have been honoured with shrines all over Greece, Macedon and Anatolia, including a grand temple to Mars, a project I oversaw personally. For the next year, I shall focus my projects on stabilizing the situation with building that should increase the people's loyalty to Rome.

With nothing more to say, I leave you to your business.

Di vos incolumes custodiant.

Governor Pb. Claudius Dives, Proconsul of the East.