Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reclamation (EOD AAR)

Default Reclamation (EOD AAR)

ok i've downloaded fraps (free version) and will hopefully be uploading pics very soon and start the AAR.

I've made one or two changes to the mod
    -Conscripts are now at zero recruitment time because they are..well conscripts. I've lowered their stats
    -Kings axemen, marteaux the guerre and German axemen all take 1 turn to recruit but are at a higher cost
    -i've reduced cost on vampyre units so that the AI will build more of them. ( I think that's how it works)
    -Reduced cost on conscripts
    -slightly altered unit sizes
    -conscripts now recruitable at every barracks level except royal barracks

RULES
    1 I'm not allowed to recruit more that 3 conscripts per turn due to their low recruit time

Synopsis
    - I've yet to decide the name but the main character is someone who drank from the spring of eternity making him immortal. He used to be a soldier but grew weary of centuries of conflict and now sits on the sidelines and is the one telling whats happening. (my way to have a loveable character that wont die in battle or of old age.

Within the next two days I'll have it all started up.

Disclaimer

In my AAR there will be a few slight mentions of religion these are purely for story purposes and are in NO WAY meant to try and alter ones faith or influence their spiritual life one way or another.
    Last edited by midterm360; August 29, 2009 at 01:39 PM.

Default Re: Reclamation (EOD AAR)

To all new readers of my AAR I decided to put all of the chapters collectively in this one post under spoiler tags. However I left the original posts thoughout the thread so that you may read it as it was first with all the accompanied bander, conjecture and discussion which I know I always enjoy reading when I read an AAR. I feel it increases the immersion and that "jovial" feeling you get and helps you get into the mood of the thread/story. However those that do not want to be bothered here we go . Enjoy
    Chapter 1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Chapter 1: I am Mikhail Sorvinnus

I am Mikhail Sorvinnus. One who drank the from the waters of the eternal spring, the forbidden spring. It brought with it a blessing...and a curse. For those that drink of it are damned to live forever not unlike the night breeds... but different. For I do not fear the sun rising in the east every morn'. Nor do I fear the sting of a silver stake, or the piercing of my heart. For I am a true immortal, here but not here, alive but not alive, dead but not dead. I am Mikhail Sorvinnus, and now I exist as a man, in service to the one constant in my life, servitude to the reich and to the motherland.

I used to be a soldier. I fought. I killed. I gave my all for the continuation of the motherland and all that she stands for! Unity! Righteousness! Justice! Victory! Heh, things of the distant past those things now seem. A long line of weak Reichs has left my nation, the once glorious Germanicae, home of the foot warriors! A weak and small kingdom. I went into hiding out of depression for the decline of my great nation and the countless lives I have ended in a terrible war, so long ago. Hiding away on a mountain side living as a hermit in exile, vowing to never take up arms again.

For what?

Back when I fought it was to reclaim territory and sovereign reign over our lands lost to an ancient foe who's name I shall not even mention out of disgust. Now I see I should not have gone into hiding. Fool! Aye that I am. But now I come back to my motherland not as a warrior, but as a watcher and adviser. Would I fight? I would like to. But I made a solemn vow to atone for my past sins, and I refuse to break it even if it spells the end for my beloved motherland. I will guide the Reich and is generals to restoring our infrastructure and to victory on the battlefield. But I will write my work here in this diary, to keep record of my future accomplishments...and failures. From this day fourth I mark this the second age of reclamation!

But I am getting ahead of myself, we Germanicae, while having a proud an glorious past,is now in a shamefully weakened state.

Our armies are now composed of conscripts! weak minded, untrained fools who can scant hold a spear properly. They will be fixed by master trainer Halie of the house of Satanus. He'll make them a model of perfection with the proper tools of his image! (hahahaha thanks for fixing those spears again Halie. I pasted the new folder into the models folder and overwrited the file.**overwrote?!*)

The Crusades launched by the last powerful Reich were a resounding failure after his death. They fell apart at the rise of the islamic nation and now the last remnants of those poor souls cling to the island of Malta where they should hope to reclaim the holy lands once more.

And lastly the motherland herself. What remains of our our great nation is now beset of all side by pagan fools! Worshiping false gods. I know this to be true. I was around when most of them were invented to contrive foolish men to rebel and take up arms against their betters. Ant it is not just those pagan fools, the other catholic kingdoms, men who worship the one true god are no better that untamed barbarians! They too will suffer Germanic fury, but we will give them a chance not to attack us, for now is not the time for us catholic kingdoms to fight amongst ourselves. I fear and greater evil rises, but that is far off and for the right now we must focus on our own borders...

They shall soon pay for their insolence, and by the sword. Be brought back under our dominion in the second age of reclamation...

Chapter 2
    Chapter 2: The Battle of Utrech

I am Mikhail Sorvinnus. Drinker of the eternal spring and adviser to the Reich. It has been 2 years to the day since I began my quest to restore Germinicae, and I record now my work over the past few years. And bloody years they have been. Reich Gelder at my urging has launched a crusade against the pagan blasphemers and their leaders. Many sieges and smaller skirmishes erupt across the kingdom as we slowly push them back and retake what was once ours and spread the word of the lord throughout a once faithful land. The battles are numerous, too many to write down here and still have time to giude our great nation to greater glory and virtue. However on battle worthy of merit does exist, and that is the battle for the city Utrech where the foul leader of the pagan fools resided.

This we knew carried with it a blessing. To cut the head of the blasphemous serpent before it choked us in our sleep. Little time there was and haste was needed so an army was assemble and headed by a trusted general of the Reich to Utrech. Where the heathen resided. However much was spared in the creation of the force and, as has become standard. Conscripts, and worse made up the bulk of fighting men present. But such was the necessity.

A might host it was, with three great battering rams to smash the puny wooden walls the pagans had erected. Yes there were many fighting men present, and though victory was assured it was to be a grim day nonetheless. But this army had one great strength if any, it had diversity. The conscripts who hailed from the peasant class, serfs more suited to tiling a field that bearing arms, but they have spirit and there are many of them. Germanic longbowmen, these skilled hunstmen have they're own standing in the army and are the finest archers in the kingdom they would be a great help in the battle to come. Even the good general himself and his retinue of nobles were present along with a troop of squires that assisted them on this battlefield. However there were some "diversities" that could have been done with out...

The raiders is their official classification. Normally such vile terrible bandits would be hunted down and hung rather than have the honor of fighting and dying for the motherland's benefit. I should not have to suffer their very presence and I find that of all the men assembled in such a force, they should be the last amongst them. If you ask me. They are no better than the pagans cowering behind the walls. Cuthroats, murderers, betrayers and thieves, aye that is what they are. It is they that will do the dying today for not even the conscripts are below them, but enough of this, I waste valuable space in this diary even talking about them and I will not allow them in any way to delay the tale any longer.

The men pushed the rams up and did then come under fire from the archers behind the walls, our longbowmen promptly answered with several volleys of their own which did send the pagans running disrupting their volleys and in return saving our men's lives. Cowards. They shoot our valiant troops but at first sight of return fire they run! I expected little else from men such as these. The Longbowmen felled many of them, as they deserved.

Upon breaking down the gates and two mighty portions of the wall a battle ensued. The archers that were present shooting our troops now drew swords and engaged our troops in a melee. Pagans they may be, but at the least they are well equipped. The leader of these men, Alatheus is his name, arrived with his retinue of men and here the spear armed conscripts proved their worth felling the evil man and many of his guard. The consripts had shown their spirit, many a song will be sung about the common man with naught but spear, shield, and the clothes on his back threw down a man of position and an evil one at that.

The raiders were moved up with most of the light fighting now over, it was now their turn. The mounted ones chased down what was left of a unit of archers that fled the main battle and were now attempting to fire more arrows at our troops, they utterly crushed the pagan fools without a loss. While a fight between some reinforcement sent for from the city center to contain us at the walls and the raiders broke out. It was for all intensive purposes a gritty fight. But before these equally evil but much more robust men the pagan dogs fell like flies. Can they be so low?

They may be evil men, but one thing I will give them is that they are excellent fighters and all that were left fled before them. All save one, and if ever honor existed in these heathens it was in him. For he stood alone against the advancing horde of cuthroats felling as many as 4 of the dogs on his own as they marched up the road. An impressive feat, who knows how many of the dead conscripts outside the walls fell to his bow. Where all others ran he stood and carried out his duty, may god spare him from the damnation of hell and sentence him only to purgatory for his misguided actions. I did afterwards find out his name, he is Elytiir the archer and now many shall know of his valour.

But no matter how noble he may have been he was still a pagan a heart, and an enemy, following his comrades example he fell back to the city square where we would loose his last arrows. Aye, it was quite a fight that broke out in the city center all the remaining pagan combatants had assembled in the city center and were prepared to defend the plaza and their flag to the death, they would not rout now as they have in the past.

A long battle full blood and violence of the worst kind took place. The pillaging raiders set against the pagan blasphemers and every dirty unnoble action thinkable (and some acts unthinkable to win a fight) were used. Methods that even the most dishonest ill meaning man would look on in disgust of were used. Aye, it was the worst kind of fight, the kind of fight that was to the last man. The kind that leaves many dead and more wounded. The kind of fight that all these despicable pillagers were good for! Swords drawn they killed every man in the square without mercy through a show of force and skill at arms, claiming the city.

The last among them to fall was the archer and skilled huntsmen Elytiir. His Bloody knuckles still clutching his sword hilt. He lie on the ground with an empty quiver broken bow and the mask still on his face. We would keep the mask on him, to show him that much respect before the almighty. The lord would not see his face so that he may be spared from the shame of defeat by raiders and following the pagan religion and it's false gods. Taken out finally by the raiders mounted troops in a charge, for the men of foot were too full of cowardice to approach him. They sat on their mounts in quiet respect, for they knew a great warrior had just passed.

But many more would die, in our reclamation. A holy scourge of our lands, to strengthen our borders and our men. For I fear we will need that strength, a great evil weighs heavily on my mind, something worse than these worshipers of a false god. I will see Germanicae ready for it when it comes. In the second age of reclamation, I am Mikhail Sorvinnus and I shall continue to write down the events of this war...

Chapter 3
    Chapter 3: The Crossing of the River Kyyiv

This is an excerpt from the records of a Captain Carolus.

I am captain Carolus, while the generals of the Reich seem preoccupied with the heartland I have been given a small but determined band of 338 men. By the proclamation of the Reich we are to expand our kingdom all the way to the Baltique Sea, where in hushed tales and songs it was fabled to have stretched in the past. I was appointed captain of this army and given a mission to expand as far eastward as I could and I was to limit my expansion at the end of the Baltque, the sea where the river Kyyiv pours out into endlessly.

We had been marching for months through winter and summer all the way from Kernave. Capturing Turau along the way as was my mission it was a glorious victory we had there but it was hard fought. We replenished our numbers and trained a unit of conscripts to garrison the city. Both to ward off a future assault but also to keep the local citizens in line and loyal to the Reich. After doing so we continued eastward toward the river Kyyiv near the city of Kyyiv. Capturing that settlement would be a great victory for the motherland. I could feel it becoming important in the years to come. But then bad news came up.

Our scouts reported that a force of at least 400 men at least, wearing white masks and black hoods was found patrolling the frozen wastes. The description couldn't match the one I have been given of pagan soldiers from other officers more. I am not concerned about their gods. This is not a war of religion for me. The Reich as told me to kill them and retake our lands. They are the enemy, and they will be eliminated. Or I would die in the attempt. But I could not act with haste. To engage this force on open ground would lead to an almost certain defeat and I needed to choose the battleground carefully.

We set up at the crossing of the river Kyyiv. The river Kyyiv is special in that the only way across it for miles, is a simple wooden bridge, the current in it flows much too rapidly for it to be swum, and in the winter it's icy cold waters would incapacitate even the most trained and able bodied man. It was the perfect natural barrier for our strength and skill at arms to prevail over the pagan slaves.

As the battle started their archers stepped into the range of our longbowmen and were annihilated, their comrades, petrified by fear only sat back and watched. But the squires that accompanied us, blinded by their indomitable rage and bloodlust towards the foe gave out a might warcry brandishing their axes and clanging them of their shields.Trying to taunt the enemy in rash actions...and you know what? It worked

The Pagans rushed across the river in a fury hoping to crash into our men. Who having been through many hardships together, stood their ground and bolstered one anothers courage. A band of brothers, tied together by experience prepared to die for the Reich and the motherland. They took the enemy as foot soldiers should. Head on.

But no matter how unbreakable a mans will may be. Something must be said for their physical endurance, and no man can hold out forever. For a moment Victory seemed certain and only a fool could lose the battle. But after a while it became apparent that the only thing holding them back was the constant volley fire from the longbowmen. Each time they loosed their arrows cries and shouts of anguish and pain could be heard from the pagans in the back ranks. They were skilled indeed and they in truth really did carry the day even though they never fought in the melee.

However quivers of arrows do not last forever and soon it seemed as though the pagans, bolstered by a unit of men kept cleverly out of the fight and were quite well rested, might take the bridge and then swarm us mercilessly. It was a gritty fight. The adrenaline rush of the early battle had worn off and the men started to seem like they might give up and run because by sheer weight of numbers, they pagans had fought them to less than half their number. For a while Defeat seemed certain and only a military genius could win the battle . Luckily. I was there.

I did have on ace in the hole so to speak. Though they were not suited to such a melee I had no choice, my force of cavalry that accompanied us made up from a troop of mounted squire and a squad of noble cavalry which I took as my command unit was left.

We joined the battle. And slowly. Pushed the pagans back, back and even further back until they were almost back on the other side of the bridge and I could capitalize of my cavalry's maneuverability. But it was still a desperate fight and many men from both side fell into the icy cold waters of the Kyyiv. Poor souls, I can scarce imagine a worse fate...or end. I only hope that most of them had already passed out, or were dead before falling in. One brave man was attempting to wade out and save a few of them, he was squire. I wonder how long till the cold stole away his strength, and he too joined the others in their watery demise. God rest his soul.

Finally the enemy broke and scattered, and the battered remnants of our army claimed victory. But no victory is without great price... I will say no more...

But the one saving grace is. As it turns out, that army was the garrison of Kyyiv and now only a token force guards it. By the blood of my brothers! They shall not last long.

(Captain Carolus actually got a man of the hour promotion and he's now a full general , I needed one in the east.)

Chapter 4
    Chapter 4: Reflections

I am Mikhail Sorvinnus. Several years ago, Reich Gelder Launched a war of reclamation across the motherland. Our armies lacked spirit and proper training. Raiders who lacked dignity were an integral part of the army. Few outposts of Christendom remained. But things have turned around. The Pagan settlements that once were are now bastion of the word in their own right. They were quick to convert and now it is their young men that fill our ranks in the army. Aye there is great change.

Initially what was left of our kingdom lacked infrastructure. People were there but there weren't any buildings. Armies existed but never had a leader. Settlements had been built but lacked proper governance. Now building programs sprout up all around the kingdom, a great network of high ways connects each city, our armies march victoriously across the land.

Once now they trudged across the tundra bitterly but now they stand proud, with square shoulders and a shield held firmly at their side. They truly are a sight to behold nowadays.

The pagans were always spread far too thin, they lacked effective leadership, especially after the death of Alatheus. They do not even attempt a counter offensive, and they cower behind their pathetic walls waiting. Waiting.

Waiting.

They fall, in their great numbers. Unable to cope with the Catholic's quick, unckecked advance. Battles erupt everywhere as we strike them down. Though they are not without cost, it is a necessity for the continuation of our empire!

With each passing year more and more of their leaders fall in battle, and to the assassins blade.

The tidings are good for us so far. The pagan scourge is all but destroyed and very few of them are left! Treves has fallen. Franconofurt has fallen. Kyyiv has fallen. Koln has fallen. Ved'ma is under siege and as we speak our troops storm Olomouc. All across the land our soldiers celebrate victory after glorious victory in plaza's as they conquer more territory.

Even the once proud men of albion stand weakened, their lands ripe for invasion by the Germanic people. They are poor, have no income and hence produce nothing, their cities remain relatively ungarrisoned. They soon will fall, like the pagans, to our axes!

Yes they shall soon fall, nothing can stop the great scourge from Germani... what's this? A carrier owl has just arrived, it carries with it a message from the crusaders on malta.

What can this mean?

Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Breaking of the round table and it's last knight

I am Mikhail Sorvinnus and now I speak of something that, though happening through necessity, is a dark omen. It has been Reich Gelder's dream that before he die, the island of Albion lie under Germanic rule ( I personally thought we ought to have invaded Francia, it felt like a Germanic thing to do!). Long have they been our ally, through hard times and during the crusades our soldiers fought side by side. However they have always looked down on us, calling us barbarians. Barbarians! After centuries I look at this with little interest for men are prone to ridicule others. But for the men that have lived a normal life such an insult is unforgivable.

The Reich quickly levied 3 great armies and sent them, in a great feat of coordination to attack the Kingdom of Albion's three major cities at the same time. A three pronged attack on the men of Albion so to speak. It was a genius plan and I believed it held great promise. It was not long before men were put onto ships and they sent underway towards Albion.

Three might armies, two at sea and one on land were on a warpath with Albion and soon blades would clash. Though I scorn him for doing so, the Reich did not inform Albion of our intentions, and the only notification of a breach in our alliance was their cities suddenly coming under assault for Germanic soldiers. Deceitful as it may have been, it was effective and we found their cities almost completely undefended.

Amiens and Eoforwic fell the next year and were of little consequence. The Reich's glorious armies marched nearly unopposed and captured the cities. The Reich showed courtesy to the christian populations and only occupied the cities. When it would have been easy for our soldiers to rape and pillage the population with the posistion it was in. Instead they marched in good order in a parade around the cities. This affirmed at least one of my old beliefs. There is always strength in numbers.

However Lundenburh would not fall so easily. Though its garrison was small and now, undermanned, it's soldiers were valiant and they were led by Sir Gawain of the legendary round table of Albion. It's high and think stone walls were nearly impenetrable. Back in the wars of shadow, it fell under siege from the forces of evil and it's parapets were fully manned, it was a sight to behold and how glorious it was, that victory. When we threw back our attackers into the shadow once more... But that was a long time ago, many ages past. When Germanicae was a mighty empire with great cities, and the old alliances between the great christian kingdoms of Albion and Germanicae and Francia and Hispannia were strong! But those days are long gone, forgotten glory of the past. And I am the last living memory of those days. So long ago...

But that was the past. Now Sir Gawain took what troops he had and sallied forth. Not willing to let his men cower behind walls, he always was a bold one and won himself great infamy during the crusade. However, though the man was great, his army was not. The pride of the kingdom of Albion has fallen and now their armies are full of poorly trained militia.

However he did keep some elite troops with him, and this would be a dangerous battle. Our troops drew themselves up in a large battle line to prepare themselves for the ensuing battle. Whether it was the shock of how large our army, or a simple miscalculation, or a carefully laid plan that was destroyed by our actions. His cavalry never charged our line, and they sat there as our spearmen crashed into them. Soon they were surrounded by our soldiers and Gawain found himself beset on all side by our troops.

Gawain was a noble man. Loved far and wide by all Christians for he was known as a honorable and chivalrous man. My men admired him greatly, though he was an enemy and was spared no mercy before our soldiers.

After his death his army suffered a great rout and only one man got away.Lucky soul, it was only because we had no cavalry with which to chase him down! The man later abandoned the army and went to work in the fields... It probably saved his life.

Soon our troops were assaulting Lundenburh and luckily it was now undermanned. Before our army they were nothing. It was beautiful to behold, our great host of troops with siege towers, ladders and a great battering ram adorned with the metal head of a Ram on it (Heh, what Irony). The men of Albion never stood a chance.

However this day was the sight of a mighty feat. The parapet was only manned by two men, and even as arrows fired from one of our siege towers struck them down. They managed to light it on fire, along with our battering ram.

But soon our men were at the walls and the one man (the other being shot down) fell before our warriors, the walls were ours! along with the cities first and strongest line of defense.

Seeing from the walls how lightly defended the city center was, our general decided to take his retinue with him and finish the job personally.

Our men closed and fought the few remaining battered down soldiers. And though they were tired. They were defending their capitol's city square. It had centuries of proud history and it seemed as though experienced they'd gained over the years shined from them in a display of their fiery determination.

However in the end, in a duel between our general and their captain , we gained victory and our soldiers roared in triumph over their victory!

However the men showed no restraint in capturing this town. And why should they? Gelder gave no restrictions on what was to become of this town and it was pillaged with little restraint with all men capable of bearing arms put to the sword. This was Albions greatest symbol of resistance and we had to crush it utterly.

However God showed his retribution upon us for our harsh actions. This was without a doubt a result of the slaughter at Lunderburh.

Shortly thereafter our soldiers journeyed to the town of Tintagel, only to find absolutely no opposition, they captured it facing no resistance. And mindful of divine retribution, only occupied it. Now the entire island save for one pagan settlement belongs to us.

Our new empire is on the rise! And recently a new order was founded. Full of fanatical men on horseback, they will be the scourge of our enemies in battle to come I think. They call themselves the Teutonic Knights, and this order of pious warriors are men I am glad rest at our side. They will prove to be powerful allies in battles to come

But something captures my thoughts. We see these odd men with red banners to the south. I have never heard of them nor have I seen them. Dont the lands to the south belong to the Islamic peoples? Just who are they?

If they threaten us they shall be put to the sword. For the second age of reclamation is over, our lands are returned to us, now is the age of conquest!

Chapter 6
    Chapter 6: A new threat...

I am Mikhail Sorvinnus in service of our mighty empire! In the last few years our now waining Reich Gelder has reclaimed most of the old empire and Germanicae stands as a major power in the world. Though the threats to our sacred and sovereign rule over the lands does not go unchallenged. The kingdom of Francia appears as though it seeks to challenge us and war stirs south of our borders. Men clothed in dark armor and robes flying red banners, preaching of the land of magog. At first I thought nothing of them...

Our spies however has sent us a letter with disturbing information and peturbing consequences should our armies fail in their duty great tragedies will take place on an unprecedented scale that will shake us to our very foundations! The firstborn in every family will be killed! This would destroy the very structure of our system of family heirs, family heads, business owners, army trainers and the like. It would leave us without men groomed for the proper purpose.

Not only that, they launched two offensives in the same year on us! one was unexpected, and were it not for the superb generalship of one of our commanders the siege of Arad would have failed and it's pagan followers may been granted a worse fate. The forces of the red banner men were lead by a man named Sailos.

Wernick will speak nothing more of the battle other than how frightful the general and his retinue were, he remarked that they only prevailed due to the valor of his own retinue and through weight of numbers. He seems stuck on the elite shock cavalry. They call themselves the azeal, and they are a frightful sight to behold, of them I can say no more till I have seen them myself, and they hold no terror for me!

Wernick beat them back, but the ill equiped forces at the crossing of the river Ved'ma were also attacked. All that saved them was that they spotted the attack early and received a reinforcement of 80 more squires and 160 other bowmen. An enemy general was not present and so the command kept his head and applied tactics, documenting the battle thoroughly.

The men of the red banner and land of magog conceived to attack us. This we know due to the information gathered from a might watchtower we'd built on the our side of the river. The in the tower had difficulty seeing them for some reason. They describe it as though looking in that very direction set them to fear and for it they would not have noticed the dust clouds and the faint sight of their banners. It was as if an evil will set itself against our efforts to gather intelligence, and only though grasping the holy cross and praying to god were their fears alleviated. Upn hearing this I inspected our forces and discorvered we only had enough men to form 1 melee brigade! I sent for reinforcements from Ved'ma, in answer we received a host of men that doubled our numbers!

I ordered our men to dig in on our side of the river and wait, two troops of feudal squires and 3 units of hunters conscripted as archers. The best a commander could hope for in these parts of the empire. It would be up to us to defend this part of the empire and hold the river crossing! It would not be long before we were in battle. Alas! We were attacked.

Upon seeing the enemy army we were somewhat relieved, they had only massed heavy infantry. While their numbers of melee combatants was far greater our men had misile superiority, if you could call it that. But what is more, they had a staunch determination, and all had heard and read of Carolus' work defending a bridge from a mighty pagan host before. We knew we had an advantage. But there was still this near demonic presence of a terrible will against us. I ordered a local congregation to come and sing their songs and pray, it seemed to ward off the feeling of being suffocated by a hot flame, and bolstered our spirits.

The enemy marched across the bridge chanting something about Magog and some man they considered a deity named Carreau. Their black armor shone in the midday sun. But our men were ready. They roared in defiance of these fools and they swore to send the blasphemous fools back to whence they came. They shouted their warcries and brandished their weapons. I knew I could count on them to hold their ground in the face of these demon worshiping foes.

When our lines closed I ordered a unit of our infantry to stay back, they would need to save their strength for the latter half of the battle. Begrudinly they agreed. I then ordered a whole two thirds of our archer brigade to head to the eastern side of the river and open fire on them, this side of them carried war axes and hence were unguarded by a shield. Volley after volley was fired.

With a gritty satisfaction we listened as anguished howls erupted from the enemies ranks. the barrage continued and did not stop, I almost felt bad for the enemies on that side of the army as there was nothing to be done about our archers and all they could do was accept the bombardment.

It seemed for a moment that the battle may go ill. It was at this time I chose to commit my second troop of squires who were, unlike the others in both armies, fresh and ready for combat instead of being exhausted. Soon the enemy, faced with this new enemy lost spirit and fled, my and my retinue chased down the foolish routers and victory was ours!

For the moment we are safe, but I fear more attacks, and more determined ones will come, leaving us without a bastion for the city of Ved'ma. Unless we receive more men, or the quality of our troops improve, we will surely fail, and the eastern sect of them empire will be put at serious risk.

-Garrison commander Ariogaissus

Reports like this I fear will become more and more frequent throughout the empire. We must guard against these men of the far east and south or all will be lost.

Chapter 7
    Chapter 7: Battle of the River Ved'ma

I am Mikhail Sorvinnus It has been years since I set about stabilizing our mighty empire and my successes are now becoming evident as Germanicae becomes one of the greatest powers in existence! Under the great prowess of Reich Gelder much has come to pass, the pagans have been routed and their cities taken, little remains of those blasphemous fools now. Our armies are the largest in the world and we have become the most advanced civilization. Our long time rival Albion now clings only to the small island of Kydonnia and are no longer of any significance to anyone. He was a great man...unfortunately it seems as though it is my fate to watch great men wither and die, over and over and over.

But now we live in service to the Reich Freawine, and though he is younger and hot blooded. He does not listen to all my counsels. He allows raiders to fill the ranks of our armies still claiming them to be better combatants and greater in number. Fool a thousand times a fool! But perhaps with these men of Magog it is a necessary evil.

Indeed we have sent many, many scouts to tell us of their numbers and the reports we found were disturbing at best. They have well over 2000 men in the area and more could be on the way who can tell for certain. But these armies will have to be crushed in order for us to proceed.

But most disturbing of all was this letter that I have received. It tells of a child of darkness, could this be Lucifer himself. The fallen angel after the war in heaven? If it is his him in the flesh then we are surely doomed to fail. Or is it merely an avatar of his sent to the surface from the fiery depths of hell, who can be certain? But if he is not cast back into shadow and flame. All is lost.

Their armies were massed on our borders, seeing no clear victory west of Arad due to our larger garrisons the enemy had headed west to attack our forces holding the bridge at the river Ved'ma. But they were a long way away, and we had many spies in the area. It was not long before news reached the new Reich Freawine and an army was assembled. The likes of which had not been seen in a long time. Through an impressive show of force our men massed at the river Ved'ma along with 2 other generals, one was his son. But now the feeling of a...presence was there again. I felt it myself and was initially overwhelmed by the power, this horrible will to crush all humanity. I was HOT! I felt as though I was drying up yet I was melting. Suffocating in a black abyss that held no hope and drowning in a sea of madness. This feeling of dread descended on the whole army and it seemed as though a demon child had come was going to kill us! Kill me! I who am immortal, yes the will of this evil seemed as though it could break this affliction of mine and render me dead.

"NO!!!" I thought

Instinctively I grabbed for my cross and watched as my fears fell away. Loudly I began singing church songs and watched in comfort as the madness went away, men regained their senses and joined in with me and soon all stood in rank, arms at the ready. The wave of foul energy had passed.

Soon we joined battle

Reich Freawine took charge of the battle and so now you will hear his account.

I am the new Reich Freawine and last year we heard reports from our scouts that a large army of the nation of Magog had set out and were most likely headed towards our position. I quickly assembled an army at what I deemed to be the likely point of attack. Of all the somewhat useless counsels of Mikhail this one is one I can use. My father believed what he said, and took his word as a divine command, while I will not make a similar mistake I will NOT revoke common sense. Though my dread of coming battle increases as this army draws nearer. But I will be ready.

It was not long till the battle began and our armies were opposite each other on the river. I Drew our main battle line up at the choke point of bridge and drew our archers up at the banks. This would be a a hard fought battle to say the least.

The enemy drew his army up in a great column to march across the bridge all the while I heard chantings some foul demons by the name of Gressil and Carreau. It was...perturbing.

Soon battle was joined and as is their custom the squires yelled at the top of their lungs in defiance of this demonic presence and its army. Peh. Novices. But they would hold the line at the very least. the horde of enemy units was great, and even with our archers dwindling their numbers it would still be a gritty fight. For a while it seemed as thought the enemy was gaining ground and might actually push through our line of men.

But then what I had been waiting for had finally arrived. The enemy host in it's entirety now stood on the bridge. Save the archers that cowered and their side of the river.

Now the real key to this battle lied in my cavalry which I had kept hidden until that point about a league away near the ford of the river Ved'ma. It was a very sizeable force completely separate from my own and my generals' own retinues. It would be their task to flank the enemy at the bridge and trap them allowing us to finish them all off.

It was not long before we had completely out flanked the enemy's forces and sent them to panic and fear. A great rout of our enemies took place. Stepping over the bodies of their fallen comrades and enemies our soldiers surged forth intent on killing as many of the enemy as they could.

None save 1 score of enemy horsemen escaped our men. They will tell the tale of the defeat of their host at Ved'ma and its utter destruction.

In the end however the price for this victory had been great and days were spent counting the bodies of the dead, pufifying the men Magog. So that when they stand before the almighty they may not be cast down from heaven in spite or vengeance.

A scribe tallied the dead from each side of the battle, I was please with the great victory I had won over the enemy.

But now I receive word from the Islamic peoples. Probably another threat of our sovereignty or some insult towards us, those fools are not capable of a proper diplom... What terror has brought them to this statement.

-Freawine, the Reich and Emperor of Germanicae

So the man says in his journals. He may be a bit barbaric but I forgive him that. He is headstrong and hot blooded thus the presence of the Azeal seemed to bear no effect on him. He is also dedicated and steadfast, under proper guidance he will become a great emperor, if we survive this enemy.

Chapter 8
    Chapter 8: Assault on Kotais

I am Mikail Sorvinnus and in this diary I now record the deeds of Carolous, a once average captain now made a general of great reknown. He has finally met his orders to expand to end of the Baltique sea by taking Kotais and establishing another foothold from which future crusades may take place. This is his account of the battle.

Generak Carolus, day 245 of the march

We have finally come upon the last major settlement in the area, the locals call it by the name of Kotais. Taking this settlement means that my men can finally take rest, that we can finally end the bloodshed in the name of the Reich. There have been many hardships trekking through the endless steppes, through the frigid cold of a northern winter, through the muggy heat that accompanies summer. Putting down civil uprisings and dealing with revolts. Losing men along the way, being forced to recruit from the local population and pull sons away from their parents. I've had my fill of war...

By the time we had reached Kotais our reputation as murderers of the pagan people sent most of their army in flight, it was hardly garrisoned at all. But wanting to spare the lives of my men I dipped into the royal treasury to pay for some mercenaries. Our ranks were now bolstered by the Illuminati men at arms and the frightening Dracule.

They go clad in red. They wield tridents in the manner of the lord of the flies himself. Stained with the blood innocents and evil alike, and they wear a mask that shows now emotion and only gives the feeling of dread. They are the Dracule, and tomorrow's battle field may find them our enemies again, but for now I am only happy that they are on our side. They are the anti-thesis of the noble teutonic knights in principle, but their brothers in terms of combat.

Anyways I'm certain the esteemed Mikhail knows the basic drill for assaulting the walls of a city so I will spare him the details. But we met with early disaster as the enemy managed to set our ram on fire! 4 men died in the catastrophe and we were forced to assault the walls.

However in every curse there is always a blessing, for upon scaling the walls on their ladders and in their siege towers the men discovered the walls to be completely empty. Being the Devoid of defenders the men wasted no time in swarming them and establishing a foothold in the city such that could be easily defended and keep the enemy from approaching.

Upon taking the walls from ghosts it may as well have been. Our scouts learned something of the defenders, they were poorly equipped in comparison to other pagans. They lacked helmets, armor even the iconic mask of the pagans was missing.

Upon seeing that another thing was noticed, all that they defended were a cluster of thatched huts and barns. In my opinion, at least. It was a band of second rate pagans defending a second rate city. Which amused me for the fact that it added to the humiliation of the Dracule later in the battle.

After receiving the order to attack the Illuminati, backed by the Dracule followed closely by myself and my retinue, all advanced to the city square. However the Dracule were anxious, and in their bloodlust actually ran straight through the ranks of the Illumanati. This sent men sprawling to the ground, and fortunately no one was killed, but it left a sour taste on the tongues of the men at arms.

The Dracule made some initial headway against the enemies retinue, but upon meeting their peasant spearmen met stiff resistance and couldn't break the line. They fought long, but against the spears had little effect. As their casualties mounted the Illumanati were content to stand and watch in a grim amusement. I saw their deaths as a service to the good society so I let the Illumanati do as they would.

However when the Dracule broke ranks and fled I knew it would send my war weary troops in flight, giving a great call, I ordered them back into ranks brandishing my sword upon a proud rearing stallion they could not ignore my call.

My men came from the christian powers, the men at arms were the of the Illuminati, and the Dracule were of a devil worshipping cult. But in that moment we were a band of brothers and charged the enemy position united, and before our wrath all fell to our blades.

Upon the capturing Kotais I ordered the remaining men a grim task, to prevent a future uprising and further death of the reichs men it had to be done...

-General Carolus

He may be slightly insolent and to go as far as calling devil worshippers brothers is nigh on blasphemy. But he is effecient, and I foresee him having a great future whether he wants it or not.

Chapter 9 pt. 1
    Chapter 9: A new beginning

I am Mikhail Sorvinnus and I come to you now with my last entry in this diary. In the calm after the storm and where I know find myself in a completely new world I reflect on my past decisions and wonder if I did the proper thing... But what's done is done and in the wake of my choices and guidance a newer purer world will spring where once a desperate struggle existed.

Having won a string of great victories, Germanicae's armies were now ready to stage an assault on the root of the evil which we believed to be Magog's main base of power in the area, Gehenna. However Upon scouting the area it was revealed that Gehenna was scarcely garrisoned and across the strait another city that more or less resembled a fortress. Whispers in the area told of a great place of evil. Pandemonium.

Even as we discovered this root of evil a long line of horrible events erupted all across the globe and panicked messengers came in bearing the news of nefarious men of omen and ludicrous acts of insanity, even an act of divine punishment upon the innocent. I will let you read about them yourself in hopes that maybe you can decipher just why this was happening and all at once.

Even Belial, a demon prince himself has risen from the very gates of hell and raised an army attacking the recently captured Kotais and an aging Carolous finds himself placed in charge of the defense of the city he'd just conquered and against an agent of Lucifer in the flesh. I prayed for him.

By then we had amassed two large armies on the beaches beside Pandemonium and even as we landed the enemies forces swarmed us and two new armies presented themselves in an apparent frenzy to prevent us from taking the city. Luckily for us they moved in haste and had little time to prepare a real army to defend themselves with and they had no chance to stand before our might.

Howeve I knw that if we stayed in the same place for too long the armies of Magog that were abroad would return in great haste and overrun us with sheer numbers. I ordered the attack immediately knowing the siege onagers we'd brought along would make all the difference in our ability to strike right away and take the initiative.

We assembled our two great armies on opposing sides of the city knowing that this would force the enemy to split their already outnumbered forces and give us a further advantage. But something seemed to lend the enemy an indomitable spirit and fear crept into the men's hearts as we neared the city. However we had only brought along the best of the best and they shook it off. One army drew up in ranks on the North side.

While on the south side under a different commander the second army stretched itself thin and was well over a mile long.

From the royal barracks' in the motherland the Sergeants came. Armed to the teeth and armored from head to toe they and their extra long spears and teardrop shields would prove an immovable block to the enemy's infantry.

Then there were the Teutonic knights. Realizing the desperate situation and the great evil that was amassing the entire order accompanied us to the battle field and they provided us with a great armored, horsed hammer with which to drive the enemy into oblivion. They're continous chants and prayers lightened the hearts of the men and seemed to level the playing field in this void of evil in which we found ourselves.

Almost the rival order of the Teutonic, a wing of Dracule were hired to help us finish the Satanae, and though the risk of them betraying us in this place of evil was great it was ultimately decided that we would need their help in vanquishing this place and that it might be best to fight fire with fire.

3 generals were present in this army as well including Reich Freawine himself. They and their retinue completed the triangle of cavalry that seemed present Religion, Anti-Religion and Nobility.

From the various woods and ranges across the empire a core of elite Longbowmen were drafted into this army as well. This brought much needed firepower to the army in the form of 240 Germanic longbows paired with the 80 Illuminati Longbows present an impressive shower of arrows could be put out.

And finally to complete the army that was present 4 mighty Onagers bearing the holy cross in HIS and it was a constant reminder of why the men were there, while the holiness of the fire and rock flung from these great war machines gave them power against the unholy walls of Pandemonium and gave them power to break down the walls.

However before the men could even advance another enemy army had already taken up position behind the main army and this threat had to be dealt with before anything else could be done. I instructed the archer corp to loose their arrows on the men approaching from the rear while the force of cavalry approached from the rear.

As the losses from the arrows mounted a combined charge from the Teutonic knights, the Dracule and the Nobles massed in a long line and began to charge the satanic slave army.

It was not long before the lines clashed, and with the teutonic knights in the lead they crushed the pitiful army of Magog with impunity and no losses on our side. A good start to a holy day of cleansing.

Chapter 9 pt. 2
    Chapter 9: continued

It was not long before our cavalry had crushed those who attacked us from behind and during that time our Onagers had gone to work destroying a section of the wall so that our men could stream in undeterred.

However immediately upon entering the wall resistance was encountered by priests from the order of Dumah, a warrior cult much like the Teutonic knights in infrastructure. But vastly different in terms of principal and ideals. They wielded a cross in mocking of the christian forces opposed to them and an axe with which to hew down infantry. Seeing the danger in this I sent in all my cavalry to crush them swiftly and utterly.

However despite the small victory we had it quickly became apparent that danger lurked around every corner and we would ave to be careful.

A full blown battle between our cavalry and the satanic infantry ensued and while it seemed apparent that it would be our men that would win the battle against the thiefs and cut throats they now faced

However at the height of the battle something happened, the enemies risked getting reinforcements from forces recently brought down from their walls and the cavalry forces were too preoccupied and caught up in their battle to see them coming.

Luckily by this time our infantry support had caught up to the fast moving cavalry and the sergeants in full phalanx formation stood between the cavalry and ambush saving many lives in the process.

It was not long before the entire army that was present broke ranks and fled our men. After the initial shock of the easy victory our mounted forces gave chase trying to catch the routers before they could rally at the city square, despite the generous head start.

Soon all the stood between our men and victory was the feeble garrison that occupied the city square not being to help themselves from taking the glory the noble warriors charged in ahead of the rest of the army and engaged what was left of their army.

However Satan's trump card was still present. The mighty Azeal, a dangerous assortment or evil men and man shaped beasts with martial prowess beyond that of normal men. The Satanic general stood ready and commanded his men to the battle already raging.

Almost instantly upon viewing the Azeal, the Teutonic order drew ranks and charged furiously at them in a blind rage seeking to utterly crush them and assert dominance over the Azeal forever by crushing them in the very place they were at their strongest. Pandemonium.

After brutal fighting and many losses the Teutonic knights cane out on top over the evil forces of the Azeal knights.

After the defeat of the Azeal the rest of the Satanae army broke like water on a rock and victory was claimed. However our work was not yet done and it was decided that we had destroy this place forever and prevent it from spawning more evil. The entire city was razed and cleansed in holy fire and prayer. All the buildings were torn down and no traces of existence was left.

However simply tearing down all the buildings was not enough and regretfully all the tainted living there had to be killed. Although it was gritty work it was holy and necessary work, and while no one appreciated it, all those that lived there were murderers, assassins, thieves and bandits and ruthless satanic worshipers. It had to be done in the name of purity and cleanliness.

And so end my retelling of the razing of Pandemonium and the rescue of Germanicae. Even as I finished my job of securing a light appeared to me.

A voice spoke saying "Mikhail Sorvinnus, on behalf of the holy father in heaven above we thank you. However there is another nation in another dimension very similar to your own but in dire straights. It is beleaguered with lycans and vampires among other nightbreeds. The talamascans there greatly require your help and savvy in destroying them" and I responded "But what of the empire? Of the motherland?!" and the voice answered me saying"Under your guidance Germanicae has become strong, it will form a coalition with Islamic peoples and under Freawine will drive the remaining Satanae off the face of the earth" accepting that the holy father had a greater design for me I step into the light. I think my journal is going to end now, learn what you can from my travels and life. I'm to go to another place and take up my work there, I leave you now, I wish luck to the world that it may prosper under the careful guidance of this coalition...
    Last edited by midterm360; January 10, 2010 at 01:00 PM.

Chapter 2: The Battle of Utrech

I am Mikhail Sorvinnus. Drinker of the eternal spring and adviser to the Reich. It has been 2 years to the day since I began my quest to restore Germinicae, and I record now my work over the past few years. And bloody years they have been. Reich Gelder at my urging has launched a crusade against the pagan blasphemers and their leaders. Many sieges and smaller skirmishes erupt across the kingdom as we slowly push them back and retake what was once ours and spread the word of the lord throughout a once faithful land. The battles are numerous, too many to write down here and still have time to giude our great nation to greater glory and virtue. However on battle worthy of merit does exist, and that is the battle for the city Utrech where the foul leader of the pagan fools resided.

This we knew carried with it a blessing. To cut the head of the blasphemous serpent before it choked us in our sleep. Little time there was and haste was needed so an army was assemble and headed by a trusted general of the Reich to Utrech. Where the heathen resided. However much was spared in the creation of the force and, as has become standard. Conscripts, and worse made up the bulk of fighting men present. But such was the necessity.

A might host it was, with three great battering rams to smash the puny wooden walls the pagans had erected. Yes there were many fighting men present, and though victory was assured it was to be a grim day nonetheless. But this army had one great strength if any, it had diversity. The conscripts who hailed from the peasant class, serfs more suited to tiling a field that bearing arms, but they have spirit and there are many of them. Germanic longbowmen, these skilled hunstmen have they're own standing in the army and are the finest archers in the kingdom they would be a great help in the battle to come. Even the good general himself and his retinue of nobles were present along with a troop of squires that assisted them on this battlefield. However there were some "diversities" that could have been done with out...

The raiders is their official classification. Normally such vile terrible bandits would be hunted down and hung rather than have the honor of fighting and dying for the motherland's benefit. I should not have to suffer their very presence and I find that of all the men assembled in such a force, they should be the last amongst them. If you ask me. They are no better than the pagans cowering behind the walls. Cuthroats, murderers, betrayers and thieves, aye that is what they are. It is they that will do the dying today for not even the conscripts are below them, but enough of this, I waste valuable space in this diary even talking about them and I will not allow them in any way to delay the tale any longer.

The men pushed the rams up and did then come under fire from the archers behind the walls, our longbowmen promptly answered with several volleys of their own which did send the pagans running disrupting their volleys and in return saving our men's lives. Cowards. They shoot our valiant troops but at first sight of return fire they run! I expected little else from men such as these. The Longbowmen felled many of them, as they deserved.

Upon breaking down the gates and two mighty portions of the wall a battle ensued. The archers that were present shooting our troops now drew swords and engaged our troops in a melee. Pagans they may be, but at the least they are well equipped. The leader of these men, Alatheus is his name, arrived with his retinue of men and here the spear armed conscripts proved their worth felling the evil man and many of his guard. The consripts had shown their spirit, many a song will be sung about the common man with naught but spear, shield, and the clothes on his back threw down a man of position and an evil one at that.

The raiders were moved up with most of the light fighting now over, it was now their turn. The mounted ones chased down what was left of a unit of archers that fled the main battle and were now attempting to fire more arrows at our troops, they utterly crushed the pagan fools without a loss. While a fight between some reinforcement sent for from the city center to contain us at the walls and the raiders broke out. It was for all intensive purposes a gritty fight. But before these equally evil but much more robust men the pagan dogs fell like flies. Can they be so low?

They may be evil men, but one thing I will give them is that they are excellent fighters and all that were left fled before them. All save one, and if ever honor existed in these heathens it was in him. For he stood alone against the advancing horde of cuthroats felling as many as 4 of the dogs on his own as they marched up the road. An impressive feat, who knows how many of the dead conscripts outside the walls fell to his bow. Where all others ran he stood and carried out his duty, may god spare him from the damnation of hell and sentence him only to purgatory for his misguided actions. I did afterwards find out his name, he is Elytiir the archer and now many shall know of his valour.

But no matter how noble he may have been he was still a pagan a heart, and an enemy, following his comrades example he fell back to the city square where we would loose his last arrows. Aye, it was quite a fight that broke out in the city center all the remaining pagan combatants had assembled in the city center and were prepared to defend the plaza and their flag to the death, they would not rout now as they have in the past.

A long battle full blood and violence of the worst kind took place. The pillaging raiders set against the pagan blasphemers and every dirty unnoble action thinkable (and some acts unthinkable to win a fight) were used. Methods that even the most dishonest ill meaning man would look on in disgust of were used. Aye, it was the worst kind of fight, the kind of fight that was to the last man. The kind that leaves many dead and more wounded. The kind of fight that all these despicable pillagers were good for! Swords drawn they killed every man in the square without mercy through a show of force and skill at arms, claiming the city.

The last among them to fall was the archer and skilled huntsmen Elytiir. His Bloody knuckles still clutching his sword hilt. He lie on the ground with an empty quiver broken bow and the mask still on his face. We would keep the mask on him, to show him that much respect before the almighty. The lord would not see his face so that he may be spared from the shame of defeat by raiders and following the pagan religion and it's false gods. Taken out finally by the raiders mounted troops in a charge, for the men of foot were too full of cowardice to approach him. They sat on their mounts in quiet respect, for they knew a great warrior had just passed.

But many more would die, in our reclamation. A holy scourge of our lands, to strengthen our borders and our men. For I fear we will need that strength, a great evil weighs heavily on my mind, something worse than these worshipers of a false god. I will see Germanicae ready for it when it comes. In the second age of reclamation, I am Mikhail Sorvinnus and I shall continue to write down the events of this war...
    Last edited by midterm360; August 31, 2009 at 09:59 AM.

Yea if you find spelling mistakes it's cause I end up writing most of these things till 1 30 in the morning and so the next day I go over it to check for mistakes and fix most of them ( I hope ). feel free to leave a comment or two i'd like to know how i'm doing so far
    My A-list of mods to play
    Lord of the Rings total war
    Thera Legacy of the Great Torment
    End of Days and its sequel
    Third Age total war, similar to Lord of the rings total war
    Call of Warhammer
    RIP
    Bringing the light of God(Canadian) Emperor to the fringes of TWC

Chapter 3: The Crossing of the River Kyyiv

This is an excerpt from the records of a Captain Carolus.

I am captain Carolus, while the generals of the Reich seem preoccupied with the heartland I have been given a small but determined band of 338 men. By the proclamation of the Reich we are to expand our kingdom all the way to the Baltique Sea, where in hushed tales and songs it was fabled to have stretched in the past. I was appointed captain of this army and given a mission to expand as far eastward as I could and I was to limit my expansion at the end of the Baltque, the sea where the river Kyyiv pours out into endlessly.

We had been marching for months through winter and summer all the way from Kernave. Capturing Turau along the way as was my mission it was a glorious victory we had there but it was hard fought. We replenished our numbers and trained a unit of conscripts to garrison the city. Both to ward off a future assault but also to keep the local citizens in line and loyal to the Reich. After doing so we continued eastward toward the river Kyyiv near the city of Kyyiv. Capturing that settlement would be a great victory for the motherland. I could feel it becoming important in the years to come. But then bad news came up.

Our scouts reported that a force of at least 400 men at least, wearing white masks and black hoods was found patrolling the frozen wastes. The description couldn't match the one I have been given of pagan soldiers from other officers more. I am not concerned about their gods. This is not a war of religion for me. The Reich as told me to kill them and retake our lands. They are the enemy, and they will be eliminated. Or I would die in the attempt. But I could not act with haste. To engage this force on open ground would lead to an almost certain defeat and I needed to choose the battleground carefully.

We set up at the crossing of the river Kyyiv. The river Kyyiv is special in that the only way across it for miles, is a simple wooden bridge, the current in it flows much too rapidly for it to be swum, and in the winter it's icy cold waters would incapacitate even the most trained and able bodied man. It was the perfect natural barrier for our strength and skill at arms to prevail over the pagan slaves.

As the battle started their archers stepped into the range of our longbowmen and were annihilated, their comrades, petrified by fear only sat back and watched. But the squires that accompanied us, blinded by their indomitable rage and bloodlust towards the foe gave out a might warcry brandishing their axes and clanging them of their shields.Trying to taunt the enemy in rash actions...and you know what? It worked

The Pagans rushed across the river in a fury hoping to crash into our men. Who having been through many hardships together, stood their ground and bolstered one anothers courage. A band of brothers, tied together by experience prepared to die for the Reich and the motherland. They took the enemy as foot soldiers should. Head on.

But no matter how unbreakable a mans will may be. Something must be said for their physical endurance, and no man can hold out forever. For a moment Victory seemed certain and only a fool could lose the battle. But after a while it became apparent that the only thing holding them back was the constant volley fire from the longbowmen. Each time they loosed their arrows cries and shouts of anguish and pain could be heard from the pagans in the back ranks. They were skilled indeed and they in truth really did carry the day even though they never fought in the melee.

However quivers of arrows do not last forever and soon it seemed as though the pagans, bolstered by a unit of men kept cleverly out of the fight and were quite well rested, might take the bridge and then swarm us mercilessly. It was a gritty fight. The adrenaline rush of the early battle had worn off and the men started to seem like they might give up and run because by sheer weight of numbers, they pagans had fought them to less than half their number. For a while Defeat seemed certain and only a military genius could win the battle . Luckily. I was there.

I did have on ace in the hole so to speak. Though they were not suited to such a melee I had no choice, my force of cavalry that accompanied us made up from a troop of mounted squire and a squad of noble cavalry which I took as my command unit was left.

We joined the battle. And slowly. Pushed the pagans back, back and even further back until they were almost back on the other side of the bridge and I could capitalize of my cavalry's maneuverability. But it was still a desperate fight and many men from both side fell into the icy cold waters of the Kyyiv. Poor souls, I can scarce imagine a worse fate...or end. I only hope that most of them had already passed out, or were dead before falling in. One brave man was attempting to wade out and save a few of them, he was squire. I wonder how long till the cold stole away his strength, and he too joined the others in their watery demise. God rest his soul.

Finally the enemy broke and scattered, and the battered remnants of our army claimed victory. But no victory is without great price... I will say no more...

But the one saving grace is. As it turns out, that army was the garrison of Kyyiv and now only a token force guards it. By the blood of my brothers! They shall not last long.

(Captain Carolus actually got a man of the hour promotion and he's now a full general , I needed one in the east.)

Call of Warhammer
    RIP

Chapter 4: Reflections

I am Mikhail Sorvinnus. Several years ago, Reich Gelder Launched a war of reclamation across the motherland. Our armies lacked spirit and proper training. Raiders who lacked dignity were an integral part of the army. Few outposts of Christendom remained. But things have turned around. The Pagan settlements that once were are now bastion of the word in their own right. They were quick to convert and now it is their young men that fill our ranks in the army. Aye there is great change.

Initially what was left of our kingdom lacked infrastructure. People were there but there weren't any buildings. Armies existed but never had a leader. Settlements had been built but lacked proper governance. Now building programs sprout up all around the kingdom, a great network of high ways connects each city, our armies march victoriously across the land.

Once now they trudged across the tundra bitterly but now they stand proud, with square shoulders and a shield held firmly at their side. They truly are a sight to behold nowadays.

The pagans were always spread far too thin, they lacked effective leadership, especially after the death of Alatheus. They do not even attempt a counter offensive, and they cower behind their pathetic walls waiting. Waiting.

Waiting.

They fall, in their great numbers. Unable to cope with the Catholic's quick, unckecked advance. Battles erupt everywhere as we strike them down. Though they are not without cost, it is a necessity for the continuation of our empire!

With each passing year more and more of their leaders fall in battle, and to the assassins blade.

The tidings are good for us so far. The pagan scourge is all but destroyed and very few of them are left! Treves has fallen. Franconofurt has fallen. Kyyiv has fallen. Koln has fallen. Ved'ma is under siege and as we speak our troops storm Olomouc. All across the land our soldiers celebrate victory after glorious victory in plaza's as they conquer more territory.

Even the once proud men of albion stand weakened, their lands ripe for invasion by the Germanic people. They are poor, have no income and hence produce nothing, their cities remain relatively ungarrisoned. They soon will fall, like the pagans, to our axes!

Yes they shall soon fall, nothing can stop the great scourge from Germani... what's this? A carrier owl has just arrived, it carries with it a message from the crusaders on malta.

What can this mean?
    Call of Warhammer
    RIP

Okay no more coverage for the pagans, unless something REALLY noteworthy happens. Next. The Death of Albion
    Call of Warhammer
    RIP

K there will be another installment in the next few days, but I need some feedback from you the viewer. I realized that i've already conquered 24 settlement (maybe I shouldn't a modded it). But at this crossroads I could I simply conquer the required settlements and then just win. Should I try and destroy Satane? I mean we havent even come to blows yet and i've pretty much met win conditions, this WAS a reclamation but it feels like this story could go on quite a bit.
    Call of Warhammer
    RIP

Fredericus Iulius's Avatar Foederatus

It needs a twist. The most obvious one would be Satanae growing strong enough to start taking regions away from you. Maybe you could let go a few years to let them grow strong enough.

If not that, the minimum requirement for the AAR to feel complete would be to defeat Satanae.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

You have to take on the Satanae, your lands will never be safe otherwise. Taking Rome is another challenge for all Christian kingdoms, the holy fathers are weak and cannot be trusted to protect the holy seat.

Don't underestimate the Hispanics, they are power hungry fanatics.

Hmm, I'll wait for the Rome event (dont wanna spoil anything for new players). Alright I wont make an offensive against the satane and recruitment is now limited to 2 units a turn (conscripts) instead of a possible 4 (I bended the rules a but ) and most of my focus will go to malta which is now almost ready to build ships and CRUSADER UNITS. Looks like its time to retake the holy lands
    Call of Warhammer
    RIP

Blog Entries

Easier said then done.

Though you might have a chance once you can recruit your Teutonic knights.

then you're gonna like my next post which I have just started writing, btw check back in 2 hours, I should be done it by then
    Call of Warhammer
    RIP

Chapter 5: Breaking of the round table and it's last knight

I am Mikhail Sorvinnus and now I speak of something that, though happening through necessity, is a dark omen. It has been Reich Gelder's dream that before he die, the island of Albion lie under Germanic rule ( I personally thought we ought to have invaded Francia, it felt like a Germanic thing to do!). Long have they been our ally, through hard times and during the crusades our soldiers fought side by side. However they have always looked down on us, calling us barbarians. Barbarians! After centuries I look at this with little interest for men are prone to ridicule others. But for the men that have lived a normal life such an insult is unforgivable.

The Reich quickly levied 3 great armies and sent them, in a great feat of coordination to attack the Kingdom of Albion's three major cities at the same time. A three pronged attack on the men of Albion so to speak. It was a genius plan and I believed it held great promise. It was not long before men were put onto ships and they sent underway towards Albion.

Three might armies, two at sea and one on land were on a warpath with Albion and soon blades would clash. Though I scorn him for doing so, the Reich did not inform Albion of our intentions, and the only notification of a breach in our alliance was their cities suddenly coming under assault for Germanic soldiers. Deceitful as it may have been, it was effective and we found their cities almost completely undefended.

Amiens and Eoforwic fell the next year and were of little consequence. The Reich's glorious armies marched nearly unopposed and captured the cities. The Reich showed courtesy to the christian populations and only occupied the cities. When it would have been easy for our soldiers to rape and pillage the population with the posistion it was in. Instead they marched in good order in a parade around the cities. This affirmed at least one of my old beliefs. There is always strength in numbers.

However Lundenburh would not fall so easily. Though its garrison was small and now, undermanned, it's soldiers were valiant and they were led by Sir Gawain of the legendary round table of Albion. It's high and think stone walls were nearly impenetrable. Back in the wars of shadow, it fell under siege from the forces of evil and it's parapets were fully manned, it was a sight to behold and how glorious it was, that victory. When we threw back our attackers into the shadow once more... But that was a long time ago, many ages past. When Germanicae was a mighty empire with great cities, and the old alliances between the great christian kingdoms of Albion and Germanicae and Francia and Hispannia were strong! But those days are long gone, forgotten glory of the past. And I am the last living memory of those days. So long ago...

But that was the past. Now Sir Gawain took what troops he had and sallied forth. Not willing to let his men cower behind walls, he always was a bold one and won himself great infamy during the crusade. However, though the man was great, his army was not. The pride of the kingdom of Albion has fallen and now their armies are full of poorly trained militia.

However he did keep some elite troops with him, and this would be a dangerous battle. Our troops drew themselves up in a large battle line to prepare themselves for the ensuing battle. Whether it was the shock of how large our army, or a simple miscalculation, or a carefully laid plan that was destroyed by our actions. His cavalry never charged our line, and they sat there as our spearmen crashed into them. Soon they were surrounded by our soldiers and Gawain found himself beset on all side by our troops.

Gawain was a noble man. Loved far and wide by all Christians for he was known as a honorable and chivalrous man. My men admired him greatly, though he was an enemy and was spared no mercy before our soldiers.

After his death his army suffered a great rout and only one man got away.Lucky soul, it was only because we had no cavalry with which to chase him down! The man later abandoned the army and went to work in the fields... It probably saved his life.

Soon our troops were assaulting Lundenburh and luckily it was now undermanned. Before our army they were nothing. It was beautiful to behold, our great host of troops with siege towers, ladders and a great battering ram adorned with the metal head of a Ram on it (Heh, what Irony). The men of Albion never stood a chance.

However this day was the sight of a mighty feat. The parapet was only manned by two men, and even as arrows fired from one of our siege towers struck them down. They managed to light it on fire, along with our battering ram.

But soon our men were at the walls and the one man (the other being shot down) fell before our warriors, the walls were ours! along with the cities first and strongest line of defense.

Seeing from the walls how lightly defended the city center was, our general decided to take his retinue with him and finish the job personally.

Our men closed and fought the few remaining battered down soldiers. And though they were tired. They were defending their capitol's city square. It had centuries of proud history and it seemed as though experienced they'd gained over the years shined from them in a display of their fiery determination.

However in the end, in a duel between our general and their captain , we gained victory and our soldiers roared in triumph over their victory!

However the men showed no restraint in capturing this town. And why should they? Gelder gave no restrictions on what was to become of this town and it was pillaged with little restraint with all men capable of bearing arms put to the sword. This was Albions greatest symbol of resistance and we had to crush it utterly.

However God showed his retribution upon us for our harsh actions. This was without a doubt a result of the slaughter at Lunderburh.

Shortly thereafter our soldiers journeyed to the town of Tintagel, only to find absolutely no opposition, they captured it facing no resistance. And mindful of divine retribution, only occupied it. Now the entire island save for one pagan settlement belongs to us.

Our new empire is on the rise! And recently a new order was founded. Full of fanatical men on horseback, they will be the scourge of our enemies in battle to come I think. They call themselves the Teutonic Knights, and this order of pious warriors are men I am glad rest at our side. They will prove to be powerful allies in battles to come

But something captures my thoughts. We see these odd men with red banners to the south. I have never heard of them nor have I seen them. Dont the lands to the south belong to the Islamic peoples? Just who are they?

If they threaten us they shall be put to the sword. For the second age of reclamation is over, our lands are returned to us, now is the age of conquest!

Call of Warhammer
    RIP

Blog Entries

Hmm, now things may start to get interesting...

You certainly have a way with words Halie, If I dont focus my attention against the Satanae then they'll actually overpower me soon enough, but if I blitz them now they'd die too quick. But the long at short of it is, my scouts show me that alot of their armies have at least 1-3 order of dumah 2-4 exael legions and 1 vampyre cavalry. Not to mention my armies are composed of mostly squires and conscripts due to my reluctance to get raiders( after I called em down so bad) and price of axemen. Maybe i'll let them send 3 full stacks against me, then counter attack. Hmm what to do I launch a german invasion on france err I mean a Germanicae invasion on Francia *cough*
    Call of Warhammer
    RIP

Fredericus Iulius's Avatar Foederatus

The much needed twist is coming!

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

...... and then what?!
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

...and then.... chapter 6!!!!!!!!!!
    Call of Warhammer
    RIP

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

yaiy, I am make happies
    Last edited by sirfiggin; September 06, 2009 at 01:36 PM.
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast