Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Québec

General David's Avatar Senator

Default Québec

Do you think Quebec should be independent?

Quebecer nationalists are afraid that of the fact most immigrants choose to study English rather than French, because English is easier and more practical for them. They think that Quebec might be anglicized if it continues this way, and the shadow of Nouvelle-France would be no more.

So why shouldn't there be a French country in North America?

General Mavid I'am in Montreal almost every month recently. I love the city. Unfortunately I also noticed the continuous decline, after the "British" left. I am afraid, that if Quebec become independent, it will be on its way to become a third world country in terms of economy.

Why would they want to be independent?

Is this just to do with what language is spoken?
    Keep this site happy & report flamming and abusive posts ASAP
    Everytime I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain -Homer (Simpson)
    Under the Honoured Patronage of the Divus Sulla. Please visit The Living Past Forum
    Patron of the Civitates Ozymandias & Dan_Grr

Quote Originally Posted by Silencio
    General Mavid I'am in Montreal almost every month recently. I love the city. Unfortunately I also noticed the continuous decline, after the "British" left. I am afraid, that if Quebec become independent, it will be on its way to become a third world country in terms of economy.
    Not really, as long as they keep having cheap electricity from the hydro power plants. But yes, the economy suffered because of the withdrawal of the English-speaking businessmen. As for the fact most of the immigrants prefer to learn English, this should be a wake-up call for the nationalists.

In '95 , before the referendum that almost had Quebec independent, I was surprised by how naive the independentists were. I was asking some of them: "so, once independent, do you plan to reunite with France?" "No", they've replied quite horrified at the idea, "we want to develop special relations with US" :-D :-D :-D
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MareNostrum

Quote Originally Posted by cunobelin
    Why would they want to be independent?

Yes, for quite a long time, the French-speakers felt discriminated (and at some times they probably were). But nowadays it would be hard to prove any discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by General David
    Do you think Quebec should be independent?
    Yes, if they vote for that, even though it won't be a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by General David
    So why shouldn't there be a French country in North America?
    Because it seems the French-Canadians themselves are against the idea, by a narrow margin though.

No, that isn't a banana

It's got a lot more to do than just language. It's about a whiney group of sore-losers that can't cope with cultural assimilation. I would love to see an independent Quebec. Right now, the provincial government is spoiled wrotten and is nothing but a drain on the rest of this country. I can't wait for the day. It'll whither and die without the rest of this nation supporting it. Bon chance, mes amis!

General David's Avatar Senator

I am afraid, that if Quebec become independent, it will be on its way to become a third world country in terms of economy.
    Quebec's major partner in economy is the US, so I don't see what the problem is. And it's not like Canada is going to cut all communication with Quebec if it becomes independent.

Not only that... The French Quebecers are ethnically different from the English Canadians, even though there's not a lot of difference between the two.

Yes, for quite a long time, the French-speakers felt discriminated (and at some times they probably were). But nowadays it would be hard to prove any discrimination.
    The Quebecers were once called ''cheap labour'' by Canadians. Montreal hardly looked like a French city in the first half of the 20th century. Renée Levesque and the Parti Québecois eradicated those problems.

How big is Quebec? How militaristic? How much are they willing to fight for independence? How much of the army is from Quebec? How much is Quebec worth to the rest of Canada? Is there anything that's not immediately obvious but should be known about Quebec? Would it be better for Quebec if they seceded or would it make them worse?
    These are all questions that need to be answered in order to see whether Canada should do anything if Quebec were to revolt.

General David, Quebek is overtaxed and overregulated. Every year the province is losing business. Worst of all it is losing high value added business and that is where the corporate profits and good salaries are. Currently they are still managing to position themselves as the eastern seabord point of entry for chinese textiles, shoes anfdfurniture destined mainly for the US, but with the Chinese going directly to the US market nowadays this will get harder.

Cheap electricity is not going to save their economy, as it accounts for less than 5% of the costs of most modern businesses. Unless they carry out radical economic reforms, this place will continue to lag behind the rest of Canada and the USA. And the gap will only grow bigger...

Aaron88's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by RusskiSoldat
    How big is Quebec? How militaristic? How much are they willing to fight for independence? How much of the army is from Quebec? How much is Quebec worth to the rest of Canada? Is there anything that's not immediately obvious but should be known about Quebec? Would it be better for Quebec if they seceded or would it make them worse?
    These are all questions that need to be answered in order to see whether Canada should do anything if Quebec were to revolt.
    Whenever Quebec separtists get what they feel is enough support the province holds a referendum, a militaristic revolt is almost completley out of the question. They have had two referendums so far, both of which were pretty close.

If they become their own country it will split canada in two (geographically) and you could probably kiss some of the provinces goodbye to America.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Aaron88's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric
    If they become their own country it will split canada in two (geographically) and you could probably kiss some of the provinces goodbye to America.
    Actually there are provinces on both side Quebec, 4 east of it and 5 west of it.

But the ones on the east are significantly smaller.

imo the eastern ones, would be the ones to do if it were to happen. The west should be ok. Like Newfoundland (i think thats the name for the province right north of maine) would probably be the most possible. Who knows, you dont really unless it happens. Quebec is situated in an excellent area so that it would have no problems if it became independent. Besides the fact that they would become the new country for Americans to make fun of on TV.

Aaron88's Avatar Tiro

But in this modern age would the U.S. really try and absorb, by invasion or any other means, an allied country? While Quebec has a strong seperatist movement, the maritimes(eastern) provinces have none. Even with the seperation of Quebec the Maritimes would stick with Canada, meaning the U.S. would be trying to take Canadian territory(which would probably not be wise thing for them to do).

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron88
    But in this modern age would the U.S. really try and absorb, by invasion or any other means, an allied country? While Quebec has a strong seperatist movement, the maritimes(eastern) provinces have none. Even with the seperation of Quebec the Maritimes would stick with Canada, meaning the U.S. would be trying to take Canadian territory(which would probably not be wise thing for them to do).
    If they vote to become part of the US, then YES the US would absorb them. Where did you get invasion from? If they have no connection to the rest of the country they will probably just become part of the US to avoid problems that would result from that.

Aaron88's Avatar Tiro

If they vote to become part of the US, then YES the US would absorb them. Where did you get invasion from? If they have no connection to the rest of the country they will probably just become part of the US to avoid problems that would result from that.
    The maritimes aren't exactly connected to the U.S, and like I said they have no seperatist movement and wouldn't vote to become part of the U.S. So the only way the maritmes would join the U.S. is through invasion or similar means.

And even if Quebec did seperate they said they wouldn't cut themselves off from Canada completley, blocking the maritimes from going through them for business or anything like that. Think Alaska not being cut off from the U.S. because of Canada.

Other than Quebec, Canada is pretty united and wouldn't ever opt to become U.S.

Even if they wanted to become part of America, I doubt America accpet them in. What's so special about Quebec that would make the U.S. want to annex it? What could they get from Quebec that they couldn't get anywhere else?
    In Patronicum sub Seleukos.

I am the living death
    The memorial day on wheels
    I am your yankee doodle dandy
    Your John Wayne come home
    Your Fourth of July firecracker
    Exploding in the grave -- Ron Kovic

Even if they wanted to become part of America, I doubt America accpet them in. What's so special about Quebec that would make the U.S. want to annex it? What could they get from Quebec that they couldn't get anywhere else?
    We're talking about accepting provinces east of Quebec, not Quebec itself.
    Either way your point still stands, why would the US want to?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast