Thread: Is NTW just ETW whit new graps + campaigns

Default Is NTW just ETW whit new graps + campaigns

Read this interview:
    http://pc-mmo.nowgamer.com/news/1103...om-09-napoleon

Interview contains the features that CA is promoting for this game and reading them gave me a huge deja-vu feeling. Quete:

"There will be 322 new units in the game, each with their own unique look and statistics. Famous units such as the Scottish Black Watch, British Light Dragoons, French Cuirassiers and Black Brunswickers will be making an appearance"

After reading this I found my self asking, whats new in here? TWE has 333 units (checked from the database) so actually NTW is aiming to have a bit fewer units. And from the mentioned units 75% are already in the TWE. Whats new here?

They are also heavily promoting the three campaings, which do seem to be nice but might not be my cup of tea (After all I did not finish the TWE USA campaing).

The features that are determining to me will be the multiplayer featues they will include. I am looking forward on crash-free multiplayer battles whit varied armies and huge selection of maps. To achieve this they have lot to fix. Atleast if(as) they are developing from the TWE base. Everyone knows the problems of that MP implementation and I won't go into that. MP-campaign might make appearance in NTW (finally) but I don't know if thats what I am looking for. To me it seems that this mode will require lot of time and I think it would be hard to organize mutual playing time to get games rolling and battles fought. Personally I am just looking for a good and fast way to play tactical battles in convenient time.

In the past I have sometimes read from CA posts/comments how one is responsible for "unit stats" and the other for "campaign games". One thing that I have always wondered is that why I haven't read someone been responsible for MP-aspect of this series? Is it not the core feature that deservers own designer/product manager?

Default Re: Is NTW just ETW whit new graps + campaigns

Is NTW just ETW whit new graps + campaigns

Basically yes.

CA tries to sell an expansion which might fix ome of the many issues ETW has with a standalone priced game. There is no guarantee that it will fix MP nor that MP will be complete in NTW though. The same promises were advertised with ETW and we all know in which half baken and unfinished staus ETW is, MP wise for sure.

Nordmann's Avatar Senator

Assumptions are all well and good, especially when biased. Why don't we just wait and see what they come up with, and then pass judgement?

What is TWE ?

And NTW will probably be the same as Empire with new graphs and campaign + some new features .. Just like Kingdoms really . And i didn't saw people complaining there ..

But until it's released , i agree with the above post .

i have to say the English studio took credit for ALL total war games.
    I really was under the impression that the original shogun or medieval were Australian efforts. Or maybe the australians never did anything but expansions?

Looks like they are using their new army painter to good effect.... i'd like to see them say each of the 300 units will have new MODELS!!!! thats what really counts!!!!

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Nordmann's Avatar Senator

Indeed, the statement regarding the number of unique units is intriguing, it sounds almost too good to be true. This would clearly require much work on their part, it will be interesting to see whether or not their claim proves valid or exaggerated. The few pictures we have so far are promising, but until we have more, it's hard to form an accurate judgement.

yes, NTW is essentially the same game. the "features" of the game confirm this for me. just look at the IGN preview. It's very scant on details, despite a mere 5 months prior to release, and there is no guarentee what is promised will actually be included in the game anyway.

and the upgraded graphics are pretty easy to do. the community has already created lingering smoke, blood effects, and more booming explosions. (smoke and blood mod)
    Last edited by dmcheatw; August 28, 2009 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcheatw View Post
    yes, NTW is essentially the same game. the "features" of the game confirm this for me. just look at the IGN preview. It's very scant on details, despite a mere 5 months prior to release, and there is no guarentee what is promised will actually be included in the game anyway.

and the upgraded graphics are pretty easy to do. the community has already created lingering smoke, blood effects, and more booming explosions. (smoke and blood mod)
    It isn't just about increasing the graphs . It's about increasing the graphics while keeping the same performance . In other words , better graphs for the same pc , without performance decreasing . I'm almost 100% sure the smokje effects and all cause lower performance .

And idd , they all say the next game will be the best , but that's marketing . if you say :

"ETW's good , but not as good as any of the previous TW titles" , i don't think you'll make a lot of sales .

And MTW2 was also worse than RTW ..

MehemtAli_Pasha's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by jolly_jellly View Post
    After reading this I found my self asking, whats new in here? TWE has 333 units (checked from the database) so actually NTW is aiming to have a bit fewer units. And from the mentioned units 75% are already in the TWE. Whats new here?
    NTW faction list is expected to be fewer than ETW. so when dividing the 322 units over the NTW factions, you will end up with more units per faction, than that of ETW. oh, and are you sure ETW has only 333 units? i remember reading in a preview that ETW was going to have 400+ units

as for the features, we only know very few things about the game. so i would wait for a couple of more press release.
    "Egyptians; to the young rebels, and to every one who was killed, bloodied or contributed in the simplest way, what you did has defied any description. you have the world on it's knees gazing at your bravery and determination. you have opened up a new chapter in Egyptian history, one that will be determined by people's love for this country" - an honorable revolutionary,

The cynic in me says its going to be a reskin of ETW with the same aritificial idiocy, new clickable buttons that dont actually do anything, new clickable diplomacy buttons that dont do anything either, more useless stats to look at and flashy new graphics. So in answer to the OPs original question. Yes.
    Bobbo was given an exclusive tour of CAs offices in 2009. I'm delighted to share my experiences with a behind the scenes look at ETW, including interviews, photographs of the ETW team at work and also the state of the art computing facilities, episode one
    part 1, part 2, part 3
    A behind the scenes look at ETW, episode two (beware language!)
    part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4
    The 4 stages of gamer grief

i dont really mind if they're going to release ntw with the same amount of units like empire,becouse with the editor we will be able to create toons of new and historical regiments.
    so the real innovation of this upcoming chapter of the total war serie will be the editor in my opinion,and that will make the difference.