Thread: Empire Upgrade

Default Empire Upgrade

I have read that anybody who ownes Empire will get a free engine upgrade to the new better looking Napoleon engine. Does anybody know if this will be free if you do not buy Napoleon Total War?

I have also read that if you buy Napoleon it will add all of the new units and features to the empire grand campaign. Is this true??

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Default Re: Empire Upgrade

This won't be free if you don't buy N:TW.

It will add new features but all of them and new units I don't know honestly.

I've read the first, Zhuge_Liang, but not the second, do you have a source?

I don't believe anyone who isn't working for CA knows whether they will charge for the proposed upgrade.

I believe you have to buy the expansion to reap the benefits of the improvements
    The extra development time will allow us to finalize and polish Empire, making it the most accomplished and epic of the Total War series." said Kieran Brigden, Studio Communications Manager at The Creative Assembly. "There is a great deal of anticipation around Empire: Total War and we want to ensure that it is the benchmark for strategy games upon its release.

.. but won't the 2 engines be totally different? One designed for long campaigns - yearly turns while the other is for shorter campaigns - weekly turns?

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Quote Originally Posted by Rorarii View Post
    .. but won't the 2 engines be totally different? One designed for long campaigns - yearly turns while the other is for shorter campaigns - weekly turns?

R
    the only thing they need to change is the turn length and adapt movement tech recruitment to that, it's not such a big deal

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge_Liang View Post
    I have read that anybody who ownes Empire will get a free engine upgrade to the new better looking Napoleon engine. Does anybody know if this will be free if you do not buy Napoleon Total War?

I have also read that if you buy Napoleon it will add all of the new units and features to the empire grand campaign. Is this true??
    On the first question; there is no "superpatch" or other freebies so far.

The second question is correct from what we know so far.

Quote Originally Posted by General_Meevious View Post
    I've read the first, Zhuge_Liang, but not the second, do you have a source?

I don't believe anyone who isn't working for CA knows whether they will charge for the proposed upgrade.
    Here are the two current source links for you;
    upgrading it with the new engine - http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6...ar-impressions
    adding units and new tech trees appropriately as the timeline progresses - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/na...al-war-preview

The first one talks about N:TW upgrading the game engine, but again, there is no proposed "superpatch" being talked about at CA from anywhere that I have read so far.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; August 27, 2009 at 12:07 PM.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

I don't much care if they update the graphics to that of Napoleon as that is all just fluff to me.

What I do care about is they should update the Empire engine to improvements in Napoleon at the base level. Examples of these fixes would be pathfinding, general AI decision making, engine stability, optimization, and fixing the 'slip'n slide' animations that prevail throughout Empire. Honestly, many people go on about how beautiful Empire is, and I admit in situation perfect screenshots it is pretty, but in actual practice and gameplay it looks terrible in terms of animations, ruddy graphics (like buildings, fences, ect), and pathfinding glitches. Infact, Medieval II's engine looked better in my mind than Empire's in actual practice even with the sometimes disjointed kill syncs and repeating death animations. Empire just looks weird at the moment and that needs to be fixed; the actual super-graphics quality, I could care less about because I don't play these games to watch it frame by frame.

Well, I'm excited by the fact that the shadows might work, and a vastly expanded unit list and tech tree will merit a whole new play-through of Empire. Would I buy Napoleon for these features? Probably yes because I am a sucker for the era, but in all honesty I thought they would be included in Empire way back before it was released.

But that is nothing new! I put M2TW on my shelf days after buying it and only enjoyed it after kingdoms was released. So long as they don't add new bugs this time. It is a pity it will take two releases to get to this stage, but like I say thats nothing new.
    Last edited by Zhuge_Liang; August 28, 2009 at 12:09 PM.