Thread: Non-ETW mod that could use some help with information on the 17th Century.

Icon4 Non-ETW mod that could use some help with information on the 17th Century.

http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/board,130.0.html

It's a Mount and Blade mod placed in a generalized 18th Century background.

For those who don't know about the game it's a medieval combat game that allows you to raise armies, serve kings or even become a king yourself.

The base game is lacking in content but the engine and developers are very VERY mod friendly (I've come to look on it less as a game in itself and more like mod like a modders tool pack like some Dungeon Creator game and such that give you tools to make your own games based on the foundation features the game comes with) unlike CA which allows for an large abundance of mods to be created.

They range from modified versions of the original game, truly Midieval mods based in RL history, mods on Antiquity, the Roman Republic and Empire or the Dark Ages and beyond with fantasy mods, Lord of the Rings mods, even a Star Wars mod, ones futher up in history like this 18th Century mod and even one that just came out recently based around the Chinese Civil War with the Republicans, Communists, Japanese and Warlords fighting each other.

As mentioned, the beauty of the game is it's flexibility which has allowed modders to add such things as unit formations, extra ways to attack and defend, magical spells and more evolved abilities to fight with like crouching and such that were missing from vanilla.

Anyway, the Mod is The Age of Blackpowder and gameplay is their main focus, factions are archetypes of it so realism isn't what in their mind, unlike our TROM crew here, but they could use some help on background for the age.

To quote the Head Modder about faction achetypes:

The Cossacks might be abit over powered. But I will make it so that they are slower and don't stand that much. But the thing is. Melee is the key of russian tactics. In other words. Brute force. So using light infantry and light cavalry. And avoiding melee as much as possible. And doing quick strikes where they are most vonerable is the best idea. Since the brittish troops. Are better in standing ground than Russians. Since they are easiely picked out in a distance. And the Austrians key of tactics is mobility. The Swedish is distance. The French is a mix of distance, mobility and light troops. But the Brittish as I said. And the french. Are the. "standard" troops trees.
    Most of all they're having trouble with getting ideas for new units to add to factions (mainly Sweden and Russia) so I thought some of us could help them in that regard (Tomsin especially with his abundant knowledge of Russia).

They're crew aren't hardcore modders (much like our TROMer pair) and sadly the head modder lost his program tools lately so it's set the project back abit.

My 2 cents so far has been forming an archetype based around Prussia with infantry sacrificing accuracy in exchange for a faster rate of fire.

Anyway I'm gonna start playing their mod in abit and thought our experts here might find it in their hearts to part some wisdom about the age to further enrich their mod.
    Last edited by Beastro; August 25, 2009 at 09:24 PM.