Thread: British Regiments Information

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default British Regiments Information

Yeah, so everyone go ahead and post detailed information about British Regiments, i'm not going to continue because i spent 30 minutes on it before and now i can't see the point in redoing that work. And don't copy stuff from wikipedia, apparently that's banned.
    Last edited by René Artois; August 26, 2009 at 11:23 AM.
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Default Re: British Regiments Information

87th (The Prince of Wales's Own Irish) Regiment of Foot- First regiment to capture a French Eagle(The Battle of Barrosa, from the 8th Ligne) Ensign Edward Keogh(died in the attempt)and Sergeant William Masterman(Masterson)

More to come boyo ran outta time verifying names.

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ciabhan View Post
    First regiment to capture a French Eagle(The Battle of Barrosa, from the 8th Ligne) Ensign Edward Keogh(died in the attempt)and Sergeant William Masterman(Masterson)
    I hope you mean British capture, because several eagles had been captured before.

The first capture of an Eagle was probably the one that took place during the Battle of Austerlitz in 1805 when the Russian Cavalry of the Guard under the Grand Duke Constantin overran the French 4th Line Infantry Regiment, taking their flag. Although Napoleon won the battle, the Russians were able to retreat in good order and the Eagle was not recovered, much to the Emperor's regret.

In 1808, at the Battle of Bailén, the French corps led by General Dupont surrendered after being defeated by a Spanish army led by Generals Castaños and Reding; this was the first surrender of an Imperial field army. As part of the capitulation terms, the French gave up their flags and banners, including three Eagles. These Eagles were kept in the Cathedral of Seville until they were recovered by the French in 1810 and sent back to Paris.

Gents, please refrain from posting entire articles copied from other websites. Instead, write down a brief few sentences to describe the piece and then link to it. Always credit the source.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard