Thread: The Age of The Emperor

Bose's Avatar Civis

Default The Age of The Emperor

I have come across a very immense source of Knowledge about Napoleon and The era which bares his name.With this source,I can pretty much tell you anything you would like to know about Napoleon and the Napoleonic era.forgive my english.ask any question you would like,but keep it on topic and serieous.

Default Re: The Age of The Emperor

Hi there. I've got a few for you:

1. Are the dudes supposed to portray Napoleon have any resemblance with the actual person?
    2. What was the usual number of troops involved in a medium/large Napoleonic battlefield? Exclude Leipzig as it was a three day affair.
    3. How many soldiers took part in the actual fighting for each of Napoleon's most important battles?
    4. Was Napoleon characterized evil partly due to different political systems i.e. European monarchies such as England and Austria while France was a republic? Before his self-claimed Emperor title of course.

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

What is you "source" and please don't say it is Wikipedia.
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Bose's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald Keene-Inglethorpe-Dempsey 3rd View Post
    What is you "source" and please don't say it is Wikipedia.
    My source is the "Age of Napoleon" by Will Durant.not only doeses it teach you Napoleon,but it also gives great info on the era.England is well covered by durant so if you have any questions about your past ask!
    NOTE:I've read up to the part when the directory comes to power.Also,thanks
    Nastyvale.I look up those questions and give you an ansewer to them tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastyvale View Post
    Hi there. I've got a few for you:

1. Are the dudes supposed to portray Napoleon have any resemblance with the actual person?
    The CGI is based on a reverse of Napoleon's death mask. I guess they figured he would be pretty old by the time he actually invaded England. Also that is much easier to do than to take it from pictures.
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

Did the Continental blockade of England imposed by Napoleon cause any trouble to the British economy?

Bose's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor VI View Post
    Did the Continental blockade of England imposed by Napoleon cause any trouble to the British economy?
    I don't think,from what i know,that napoleon's Continental blockade was effective in what it aimed to do:Cut off England's trade.Britain ruled the oceans so the continental blockade was the only way Napoleon could really hurt england or so he thought.Russia and Portugual did not comply,so Napoleon used it as a pretense to conqer them.And England could safely sit behind the thin body of water,its moat,and plan napoleon's fall without any real troubel.Lord Nelson's victories at the Nile and Trafalgar saw to that.so I think it's safe to say napoleon's system was ineffective.England did after all,drive france out of iberia and general winter chased the Emperor out of russia.

The Tabel of contents for my sorce is:
    Book 1:The French Revolution:1789-99
    Chapter I. The Background of the Revolution:1774-89
    I.The French Peopel
    II.The Government

Chapter II. The National Assembly:May 4,1789-september 30,1791
    I.The States-General
    II.The Bastille
    III.Enter Marat:1789
    IV.Renunciation:August 4-5,1789
    V.To Versailles:October 5,1789
    VI.The Revolutionary Constitution
    VII.Mirabeau Pays His Debts:April 2,1791
    VIII.To Varennes:June 20,1791

Chapter III.The Legislative Assembly:October 1,1791-September 20,1792
    I.Persons of the Drama
    II.War:1792
    III.Danton
    IV.The Massacre:September 2-6,1792

Chapter IV.The Convention:September 21,1792-October 26,1795
    I.The New Republic
    II.The Second Revolution:1793
    III.Exit Marat:July 13,1793
    IV.The "Great Commitee":1793
    V.The Reign of Terror:September 17,1793-July 28,1794
    1.The Gods are Athirst
    2.The Terror in the Provinces
    3.The War Againt Religion(Robespierre goes Bonkers)
    4.The Revolution Eats Its Children
    VI.The Thermidoreans:July 29,1794-October 26,1795

Chapter V. The Directory:
    I.The New Government
    II.The Young Napoleon:1769-95
    III.Josephine de Beauharnais
    IV.Italian Whirlwind:March 27,1796-December 5,1797
    V.The Coup d'Etat of the 18th Fructidor:September 4,1797
    VI.Oriental Fantasy:May 19,1798-October 8,1799
    VII.The Decline of the Directory:September 4,1797-November 9,1799
    VIII.Napoleon Takes Charge:The 18th Brumaire(November 9),1799

Chapter VI.Life under the Revoulution:1789-99
    I.The New Classes
    II.The New Morality
    1.Morality and Law
    2.Sexual Morality
    III.Maners
    IV.Music and Drama
    V.The Artists
    VI.Science and Philosophy
    VII.Books and Authors
    VIII.Mme.de Stael and the Revolution.

and thats just book 1! there are 4 others!
    Last edited by Astaroth; August 30, 2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: merged double post

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor VI View Post
    Yes but it hurt the French more, simply because the French couldn't enforce their blockade, while the British could enforce theirs. At one point an angry shopkeeper in Britain walked into parliament and shot the Prime Minister, so I would say it had some effect on their economy. It also cost them another war (War of 1812).

Bose's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Tosi View Post
    Yes but it hurt the French more, simply because the French couldn't enforce their blockade, while the British could enforce theirs. At one point an angry shopkeeper in Britain walked into parliament and shot the Prime Minister, so I would say it had some effect on their economy. It also cost them another war (War of 1812).
    thank you for your info,Tosi.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Tosi View Post
    The CGI is based on a reverse of Napoleon's death mask. I guess they figured he would be pretty old by the time he actually invaded England. Also that is much easier to do than to take it from pictures.
    I don't think this famous death mask really shows him.
    http://www.empereurperdu.com/amasque.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    I don't think this famous death mask really shows him.
    http://www.empereurperdu.com/amasque.html
    I can't really say much on the death mask conspiracies, they are too complicated and there is too much mystery. Honestly I think they are real, but I could understand completely why you think they are fake. But regardless CA did say they used Napoleon's deathmask to get the preview face for Ol' Nappy, and I think it looks quite a bit like him.

The Continental System was hurting Britain quite hard by 1811 but did France a lot more damage and was the main reason Napoleon invaded Russia.
    http://www.historyhome.co.uk/c-eight/france/consys.htm

Nirnaeth Arnoediad's Avatar Vive l'Empereur !

Bose seems to have less kownlegde about this area than the readers of this topic .

Originally Posted by Emperor VI
    I don't think,from what i know,that napoleon's Continental blockade was effective in what it aimed to do:Cut off England's trade.Britain ruled the oceans so the continental blockade was the only way Napoleon could really hurt england or so he thought.Russia and Portugual did not comply,so Napoleon used it as a pretense to conqer them.And England could safely sit behind the thin body of water,its moat,and plan napoleon's fall without any real troubel.Lord Nelson's victories at the Nile and Trafalgar saw to that.so I think it's safe to say napoleon's system was ineffective.England did after all,drive france out of iberia and general winter chased the Emperor out of russia.
    You don't have to think, you just have to know ; history is not a supposition. it's facts. If you don't know them don't say that you have a huge knowledge about Napoleon.

Jihada is right, and he doesn't claim his knowlegde everywhere.

Bose's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Nirnaeth Arnoediad View Post
    Bose seems to have less kownlegde about this area than the readers of this topic .

You don't have to think, you just have to know ; history is not a supposition. it's facts. If you don't know them don't say that you have a huge knowledge about Napoleon.

Jihada is right, and he doesn't claim his knowlegde everywhere.
    Oh! How my Hubris has been destroyed! yes your right.The reason you are righit is because I'm kind of a busy fellow right now.I must be reading around six books these days! Two deal with Napoleon,one that is based upon his invasion of russia.I also have An audio-book about napoleonic life.my other books are fiction,one of which is World war Z.I would like to get back to my studies of Napoleon,but WWZ is so addictive! and the reason i said "I think" rather than "I know" is because i learning things as i read.When i anserwed the question,i did not have enough knowledge to confidently say "I know" by saying "I think" i intended to leave my post open for correction.thank you Nirnaeth Arnoediad for your observation and Valued opinion.

As soon as I,m done with world war Z,I'll start posting random facts and actually answer questions.In my Napoleonic studies,I last left off at the Effects of Napoleon's Coronation. forgive my english.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastyvale View Post
    4. Was Napoleon characterized evil partly due to different political systems i.e. European monarchies such as England and Austria while France was a republic? Before his self-claimed Emperor title of course.
    Even before he declared himself Emperor Napoleon had established a dictatorial system in France, to call the France of the early 1800s a Republic is quite ridiculous. Napoleon coasted on the success of the reforms of the Directory (which was hugely unpopular but set the foundation for French economic stability), as well as being pushed froward to popularity by his military feats. The Consulate and the First Empire were autocratic and repressive regimes, which were supported initially by the public but as the wars were prolonged the governments turned unpopular.

My another question is not directly related to Napoleon but happened during his Age. How did Bernadotte manage to become Swedish King?

In a nutshell because the Swedish king had no heir and needing to choose someone to succeed him, the Swedes picked Bernadotte. They believed Napoleon would agree, but he didn't (having fallen out majorly with Bernadotte). As for why him, apparently it was because of his kind treatment of Swedish prisoners of war. All in all, it was a rather strange affair, Bonapatre certainly thought it was absurd. However Bernadotte's descendants still rule Sweden to this day!