View Poll Results: Given the Theme Napoleon, what would you like the campaign map to be?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • As Empire Total War, no change

9 6.25%
  • A larger and significantly more detailed Map of Europe (as CA seem to propose)

121 84.03%
  • Bigger than ETW, but accept that this would almost certainly lead to less detail

14 9.72%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Map

Elyrioth's Avatar Senator

Default Campaign Map

So going by the info we have what do you believe the Campaign map will look like?
    From here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=5804758#post5804758
    Quote Originally Posted by SenseiTW
    Just to confirm - in addition to the 3 story-driven campaigns, there will also be a traditional campaign to play in Europe.
    and this:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=5804915#post5804915

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiTW
    Please also note that each of the campaign maps have been massively scaled up, featuring many new provinces.
    Then there is this one from a deleted thread but I think very important, we will definately get new maps:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted
    They are new maps in Napoleon, not the Empire map.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=5839276#post5839276

So are we looking at a European GC with no theatres? Why has no mention been made of theatres or map size?
    Are we looking at maps with far more detail but covering less of the world?
    Could North America and India only be a Trade Theatre?

The first and obvious impact here would be the likes of the US and Marahtas would not be playable.

Personally I would like to see more detail, but what will we loose if it only covers Europe? And would it be worth loosing to get more detail?

And I need some rep so don't be shy
    Na Géanna Fiáine

Default Re: Campaign Map

I think Napoleon is going to be much more different to Empire than you think. I think the campaigns have a more military emphasis and an element of story/scripting. As far as I know, it's not going to be a complete sandbox/world domination affair like Empire. I'm not saying it's going to be bad; I can't wait! But I think people who are expecting it to be like a normal total war game are going to be dissapointed. I think we're looking at something like Kingdoms.

One of the main reasons Napoleon attacked Egypt was to be able to use it as a stepping stone towards India. I think being as removing the British from India was an important ambition of Napoleon, the whole of India should be included in the standard map and grand campaign. With this said, the map should include the American Continents, as well as the rest of the world - at the very least the game should be moddable.

MehemtAli_Pasha's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Gent~ View Post
    One of the main reasons Napoleon attacked Egypt was to be able to use it as a stepping stone towards India. I think being as removing the British from India was an important ambition of Napoleon, the whole of India should be included in the standard map and grand campaign. With this said, the map should include the American Continents, as well as the rest of the world - at the very least the game should be moddable.
    agreed. India was a big trade theater that most of the empires present at that time would've loved to put their hands on.

i was in the beginning for the inclusion of North America, coz i thought it would add more to the game. now i think, taking it out would make CA focus more on the European campaign. logically, if CA is increasing the number of provinces, they are more likely to cut some big chunks from ETW's map for the gameplay(at least that's what they think). America and India (may be) of course are the two big candidates. so basically, the expected map will include of course Europe, and North Africa.
    "Egyptians; to the young rebels, and to every one who was killed, bloodied or contributed in the simplest way, what you did has defied any description. you have the world on it's knees gazing at your bravery and determination. you have opened up a new chapter in Egyptian history, one that will be determined by people's love for this country" - an honorable revolutionary,

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

I agree Pasha, something will have to give if the Province count is "massively" increased. I guess it depends on how CA defines massively. I am confident that the Americas and India will not be included in other than possibly a Trade Box in which to park Fleets and Privateers and a good chance this won't even make it. I see no way that CA can greatly increase the Province count and include much detail in Europe without solely concentrating on Europe and that is fine with me if it means we get a very solid game.

From the information that's been provided, especially in regards to N:TW interfacing with E:TW....

IMO, the Napolean Grand Campaign will be a map similar to MTW2. No theaters, just Europe, but more expanded.

If you want to do the WHOLE campaign, the new units, techs, etc from Napolean will now be available in Empire for use in a more complete GC.

It makes sense....

It seems like if your more interested in the minutae of the Napoleanic Wars, just stick to N:TW. Otherwise, if you prefer a more global GC, N:TW will work just like a regular expansion for E:TW.
    Last edited by ladiesman; August 25, 2009 at 02:12 PM.

Here is a good sugestion for a map:

The Imperial Glory's map .

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

Not enough Provinces in IG but the Diplomatic model could stand some lifting.

Yes needs more detail. They could use the diplomacy system alright. Germany needs some work.
    Na Géanna Fiáine

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent One View Post
    And if it's only Europe,they should make the USA a horde faction,like the huns and vandals in Barabarian Invasion.Or mayble the Mongols.
    You want an emerging US-faction popping up somewhere in Europe?

I prefer more detail (and regions) in Europe, that was the main scenario of the Napoleonic battles. The other continents were secondary. I really want that CA keep them, but I prefer (if there is some sort of map limit) one big european map than the current ETW map.

(HG-F)Ipod's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Birdofilo View Post
    Here is a good sugestion for a map:

The Imperial Glory's map .
    I love this map. And is an spanish map, better that the CA's map. CAs should do the biggest map, with a lot of provinces that conquer.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Keep it cool please, no mudslinging.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent One View Post
    The Americas must be included,along with the USA,as they were his allies in at least a few battles.And if it's only Europe,they should make the USA a horde faction,like the huns and vandals in Barabarian Invasion.Or mayble the Mongols.
    I don't believe that would ever happen, nor be feasible. If the Americas are not present in the GC then the USA will not be present. Which going by Senseis comment would seem to be the case, a Europe only GC. The game is about Napoleon not the US.
    Na Géanna Fiáine

Nordmann's Avatar Senator

In any case, it sounds like the GC in NTW will be a traditional campaign, as with ETW. The difference being the 1800 start date, and it's assumed less emphasis on research etc. It's interesting that some people have suggested that combining ETW and NTW will produce a GC from 1700 to through to the 1800s, the only problem with this idea would be the switch from Empire's theater maps (and non-Napoleonic factions), to Napoleon's Europe only map, to say little of the period uniforms, weapons and technology.
    Last edited by Astaroth; August 26, 2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: continuity

I would be perfectly happy with a massively upscaled Europe-only campaign. It looks like NTW is going to be what I was hoping ETW was going to be.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Iaius Statius Laurentius View Post
    I would be perfectly happy with a massively upscaled Europe-only campaign. It looks like NTW is going to be what I was hoping ETW was going to be.
    yeah, now comes the waiting part.

Well, it would appear SenseiTW comment about there being a GC in addition to the 3 campaigns is not entirely correct or at least it has been contradicted.
    New interview with Kieran here states it is 2 Narratives where you play France with the 3rd opening into the GC where you can either for or against France.
    http://www.sega.co.uk/games/napoleon...r/?t=EnglishUK
    Na Géanna Fiáine

eskrogh's Avatar Biarchus

what about making history the calm and the storms world.. map..

you use turns like in total war
    you build like in total war
    you research like in empires
    you go from region to region like in medivale total war?
    you still use culture like in total war
    and ideologys and forms of ruling like in total war..

+ extra things who makes this game brilliant, is great alliance system, great financial system, full world map, a billion factions

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

If people isnt over the minimum standard of living... lower the standard..
    if there is too much poverty in a sociaty, lower the poverty line... my qoutes... comment them if you will...

Well reviewing that interview now we 100% know the GC is Europe only

http://www.sega.co.uk/games/napoleon-total-war/?t=EnglishUK
    Confirms:
    1: 2 Narrative campaigns (france only) 3rd is the Grand Camapign
    2: Confirms you can play against France in the 3rd campaign.
    3: Seems to confirm UK, Austria and Russia will be playable.
    4: It is definately Europe only
    5: Historic Battles
    Na Géanna Fiáine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast