Thread: Guess where?

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Default Re: Guess where?

Yasss Damn it, that was too obvious then! Well done, Neo, have some rep! Fit like, min? It's the Tolbooth and City hall, they've got a nice new museum inside now, which I visited last month.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    Yasss Damn it, that was too obvious then well done, Neo, have some rep! Fit like, min? It's the Tolbooth and City hall, they've got a nice new museum inside now, which I visited last month.
    Well living in Scotland for a while helped a lot for this particular photo
    I haven't been in Aberdeen but I did notice its skyline in a number of occasions (stv news for example)

Here is another one,(personal pic)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06407.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	305741
    Last edited by neoptolemos; April 16, 2014 at 05:29 AM.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Hehe indeed that grey Skyline is typical, I thought you might have been there since it's not too far from where you stayed As for your new picture, I thought at first sight it might be Tessaloniki, but there's so much snow Perhaps it's in Russia?
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Hehe indeed that grey Skyline is typical, I thought you might have been there since it's not too far from where you stayed As for your new picture, I thought at first sight it might be Tessaloniki, but there's so much snow Perhaps it's in Russia?
    Hehe I was in love with Edinburgh so I had to go there like 5-6 times instead of any other place in Scotland Now concerning the photo, the place is closer to Thessaloniki than to Russia
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Haha I can't fault that, it's a wonderful city On the (rare :p) sunny days it really is an ''Athens of the North''.

Puh... an orthodox church in Serbia per chance?

Haha I can't fault that, it's a wonderful city On the (rare :p) sunny days it really is an ''Athens of the North''.

Puh... an orthodox church in Serbia per chance?
    It is more than a church but it is not in Serbia , in fact not in Balkans at all
    Luís de Camões

Woahhh, it's neither on the Balkans, nor close to Russia, so... perhaps a Byzantine building in Turkey? I can't think of anything else, since it can't be North West of Greece neither North East of Greece, and in the South there's little chance for orthodox religious buildings and damn snow That leaves mountain areas in Turkey and Italy, but perhaps snow is more common in the Levante than I thought...

Woahhh, it's neither on the Balkans, nor close to Russia, so... perhaps a Byzantine building in Turkey? I can't think of anything else, since it can't be North West of Greece neither North East of Greece, and in the South there's little chance for orthodox religious buildings and damn snow That leaves mountain areas in Turkey and Italy, but perhaps snow is more common in the Levante than I thought...
    I went in this place in a December hence the snow.Concerning your effort to locate it, I will repeat that Thessaloniki is closer to this place than Russia and Turkey is closer to Russia therefore....
    And lastly although it looks Byzantine, it is not
    Last edited by neoptolemos; April 17, 2014 at 07:56 AM.
    Luís de Camões

Neo you are teasing me So it's not in Turkey? It actually is in Greece itself? Still, if there's snow it must be in Northern Greece (roughly)?

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

You know, it sort of looks like Scotland Yard - the building in Queen Anne style by Norman Scott, which is closer to Greece than Russia...

Neo you are teasing me So it's not in Turkey? It actually is in Greece itself? Still, if there's snow it must be in Northern Greece (roughly)?
    You have already made a good deduction previously, it is not in Turkey, not in Greece and not in the Balkans to sum it up

Quote Originally Posted by Ybbon View Post
    You know, it sort of looks like Scotland Yard - the building in Queen Anne style by Norman Scott, which is closer to Greece than Russia...
    The place is more proximate to Greece than the old Albion for sure, so it is definitely not the Scotland yard

edit some more info:
    The place has a church in it, it is related with religious practices but it is not a monastery.
    In fact it is located not far from the city centre.
    Last edited by neoptolemos; April 17, 2014 at 09:33 AM.
    Luís de Camões

It's in Italy then? Though this can't make much sense if it's not Byzantine

It's in Italy then? Though this can't make much sense if it's not Byzantine
    Italy it is, but as I ve said it is not Byzantine, more like NeoByzantine if you like
    Luís de Camões

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Ravenna by any chance ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    Ravenna by any chance ?
    Nope
    Luís de Camões

I also thought of Ravenna at first I can't lose this... Is it a Cathedral in Northern Italy?

I also thought of Ravenna at first I can't lose this... Is it a Cathedral in Northern Italy?
    Northern Italy it is but not a cathedral. The place has a church in it but it is something more than a church. It is used for religious purposes and it is not a monastery.
    Luís de Camões

It's neither a normal church, nor a monastery, that's why I said a cathedral, but apparently that's wrong, too I have no idea, really, does it roughly lay between Venice and Genoa?

It's neither a normal church, nor a monastery, that's why I said a cathedral, but apparently that's wrong, too I have no idea, really, does it roughly lay between Venice and Genoa?
    Well kinda, I mean not on a straight line between Genoa and Venice
    It is in the typical Italian North and the monument it's in the city, not far from the city centre
    Last edited by neoptolemos; April 18, 2014 at 10:16 AM.
    Luís de Camões

Is it in Emilia- Romagna?