Thread: Guess where?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Guess where?

The Freiburg Rathaus.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Jawohl.

Over to you.

Patrician Artifex

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Somewhere in Scotland?
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    Somewhere in Scotland?
    Yes

Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Patrician Artifex

Yep, your turn

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	καστ 2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	305281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	καστ.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	305282
    Luís de Camões

Clagius's Avatar Campidoctor

Greece perhaps?

yup, which castle?
    Luís de Camões

No idea honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Clagius View Post
    No idea honestly.
    well it is difficult as it is among the non well known castles in Greece, it is however unique due to its shape....
    Luís de Camões

Well, I could of course try and find it with google... but that would be cheating, wouldn't it.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Clagius View Post
    Well, I could of course try and find it with google... but that would be cheating, wouldn't it.
    I don't think many pictures would be identified if we weren't allowed to search the internet. The guessing bit is in trying to find the right keywords based on what you see in the picture. What's cheating is to use a reverse image search engine.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

It seems familiar to me and I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, but I don't know where exactly. Is it on the Peloponnese?
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    It seems familiar to me and I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, but I don't know where exactly. Is it on the Peloponnese?
    Indeed it is
    Luís de Camões

After some research and thinking I'm quite sure now that I've seen it from the ferry back then and that it is Chlemoutsi Castle on the most western point of the Peloponnese
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    After some research and thinking I'm quite sure now that I've seen it from the ferry back then and that it is Chlemoutsi Castle on the most western point of the Peloponnese
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlemoutsi

I guess you saw something like this?

Well done my friend, your turn!
    Luís de Camões

Yes, though I'm not totally sure. But I really need to get back to Greece Its just a bit too far (and sometimes, but these days not really, too expensive) for fellow students, when they only have time for a few days. Anyway, here's my next picture, one I took myself :

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P9300928.jpg  

Aberdeen? It is certainly a British Neogothic revival building
    Luís de Camões