Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [IS AAR] Der Kampf [Cancelled]

Heartfire's Avatar Ordinarius

Default [IS AAR] Der Kampf [Cancelled]

[IS AAR] Der Kampf

LOOK AT POST #5 FOR THE PROLOGUE AND INDIVIDUAL CHAPTERS

Chapter 1.2 Released!

Hello everyone. This is my new AAR. This is not a continuation of the "Center of Conflict" series, rather just a new AAR in a normal world.

My other AAR's can be found here:
    [SS-M2TW AAR] The Center of Conflict [FINISHED]
    [DM-ETW AAR] The Center of Conflict 2: Renaissance of the Fallen Empire [COMPLETED]

Game: Empire: Total War/Imperial Splendour 2 Mod
    Faction: Wurttemberg
    Difficulty: Normal/Normal (As per Imperial Splendour directions)
    Year of Start: 1712

Note: Imperial Splendour was not developed to accomodate the Minor Factions, although it is planned in the future. They do however have a complete overhaul of all Major Factions as well as Portugal, Venice, and Denmark. (All three of which have also been upgraded to Major Faction status.) The rosters for Wuttemburg are not supposed to historically represent how powerful, or weak they were.

So let me just set some ground rules first:

This will be written as a book is. There will be paragraphs, dialogues (Although I will be eliminating the useless ones.), and many other types of book-like punctuations.

I will have much more story description than battle description. This is simply how I write.

This will be a short AAR. I find if I make my AAR's too long they become extra fanatical, and cliched. So trust me when I say, I do this to enhance the quality of my AAR.

This AAR is written in the first-person and third person, clearly seperated by different fonts and long lines.

I include pictures, but I do not write the story with images, rather I use images to support the AAR.

I enjoy/love criticism. I am not a perfect writer. Please criticize me, and leave comments.

Finally, I am a college student, and as such, there may be significant gaps in my update releases. I can not, and will not promise you an update a week. (Of course, I will not neglect it to the point of going a month without updating.)

So if you have a problem with any of these ground rules, please feel free to press the "Back" button (Or press the "Backspace/Return" key), make a ritual doll out of me and torture it, smack your computer for allowing my writing to be displayed on your screen, or whatever else you can think of that would make you feel better.

I will be posting the first update, an introduction/Prologue, within the next few days. Stay tuned! Show your support! Subscribe! Rep!
    Last edited by Heartfire; February 03, 2010 at 11:06 AM.

finian1712

Default Re: [IS AAR] Der Kampf [STARTED: 8/24/2009]

Um sounds good but could you just use black and not bold the font it kind of hurts my eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Heartfire View Post
    [IS AAR] Der Kampf

Finally, I am a college student, and as such, there may be significant gaps in my update releases. I can not, and will not promise you an update a week. (Of course, I will not neglect it to the point of going a month without updating.)

I will be posting the first update, an introduction/Prologue, within the next few days. Stay tuned! Show your support! Subscribe! Rep!

You made us a promise that you would update this at least once a month. I will hold you to this.

Please do. I may need it =D

Prologue coming within a few hours.

Prologue: A Minor Nation

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Prologue: A Minor Nation

In 1702, unsatisfied by their continued reliance on the Holy Roman Emperor, Leopold I, the German nations of Wuttemburg, Westphalia, Saxony, Prussia, Bavaria, and Hannover, declared their complete and total independence of all Imperial doctrine. Less than 2 years later, Prussia conquered Saxony, destroying the only buffer zone between it and the former leader of the Holy Roman Empire, Austria. Hannover soon sided with Prussia, declaring a formal alliance in the proccess, while Bavaria condemned the war and continued it's alliance with Spain. Westphalia and Wurttemburg took a different direction and allied with one another, vowing that the two small nations would rise together, in an unbreakable, and indomitable alliance.

Wurttemburg upheld it's side of the deal first. They began heavy recruitment throughout their kingdom, but found they were unable to field any significant armies. They needed more territory, more wealth, and power, to compete with any of their fellow German states. The thirty-five year old Konig, Eberhard Ludwig I, looked first to Italy. Ausria blocked his entrance through the Alps, and beyond that, Venice had almost twenty-five regiments, Wurttemburg had just seven. To the West was Strasbourg, currently ruled by the French. Going to war with France would certainly lead to the death of Wurttemburg. Such immense resources would overwhelm Wurttemburg, no matter how many times they were victorious. To the North lies Westphalia, Wurttemburg's sworn brother and ally. It was in the East that Eberhard saw his opportunity. Bavaria. With its prized city of Munich, Bavaria became the perfect target.

By 1705 the war between Bavaria and Wurttemburg had been called, "The Little War." Neither nation ever fielded more than a thousand troops on the battlefield, and additionally, the war had not lasted long. Within just six months the dominant military forces of Wurttemburg had crushed Bavaria's professional army, and marched freely into Munich. The peace, however, was not to last. The citizens of Munich, and the Bavarian territory, quickly rose up against the oppressive Wurttemberg banner. And when they were put down, another rose in its place. Bavaria begged Spain for aid, claiming they were in the middle of their own version of the Spanish Reconquista. Spain never sent aid; the second, and final Bavarian rebellion failed, and Wurttemberg successfuly assimilated the territory into its own kingdom.

Eberhard allowed a few years of peace to go by, but still found himself wanting more. Unwilling to go to war with Austria just yet, he had only one choice. West. Strasbourg. France. From his palace in Stuttgart he glared where the sun set, and said to himself. "The world doubts us, doubts me. Now, I will show them all. Witness the rise of Wurttemberg."

"HOORAY!!" The crowd around me erupted. I couldn't see the speaker with clarity, but I wouldn't need to see him just yet. When the time came, I would only need to see his despicable face for three and a half seconds. And if all went well, he would never see me. He would never see anyone, ever again.

His name is Kurt Trautmann. A remarkable career lay both behind, and in front of him. During the Little War he served as a lieutenant-general, shattering the forces of Bavaria. He served briefly as a general during the second Bavarian revolt and killed more than two-thousand innocents attempting to find where we were. With those acts seemingly forgotten, he has become a politician for the government of Wurttemberg. The Lord Secretary of War has recruited him to spend the rest of his days in Munich, preaching to us the superiority of Wurttemberg military arms, and attempting to keep us blind to all else that his government does. He is the man directly responsible for the third rebellion never coming to fruition, but more importantly: he is the man directly responsible for what happened to me. Him, and his superiors destroyed my life. Now I will take theirs.

"...for God! And for Stuttgart!"

"Yea!!!" The crowd cheered for him again. Every word was just poison. Invisible poison, maybe, but deadly, nonetheless. His speeches were nothing more than excuses for bloodshed. This is what I have been waiting for. His guards couldn't hold it in any longer and began to cheer with the crowd. I pulled my pistol from my belt and began moving closer to Trautmann. Just three and a half seconds; that is all I would need.

His voice got higher, his pauses more dramatic, and the crowd prepared to cheer once more. Right as Trautmann reached the apex of his speech a man in uniform ran onto stage and yelled at the top of his lungs. "Strasbourg has fallen! Wurttemberg is victorious!" Then he shot his gun into the air. Every armed man in the square followed him and did the same. All except me. The crowd again bursted into cheer as the loud cracks of muskets firing could be heard and the whistles of the bullets made a song as they tore through the air.

As I neared my target, my hand began to shake. "So close." I told myself. "This is all he deserves. Look what he did to you!" I looked at my scared left hand, and felt the many irregularities of my body that could only be left by a life devoted to battle. I felt my eye. My single, lonesome eye. "Kurt Trautmann will preach no more." The crowd around me was too busy dancing, drinking, and cheering to notice as I revealed my pistol, pointing it directly at the former lieutenant, about twenty-five yards away.

One.

I breathed in.

Two.

I breathed out.

Three.

I pulled the trigger.

Half a second later, Kurt Trautmann was dead as the bullet penetrated his rough skin and sent him down onto the ground. Never to awake.

One down. Three to go.

Chapter 1: Revenge of the Fallen

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"It's getting colder now. Can you feel it?"

"Yes, father."

"Go. Get your mother and your sister."

"Yes, father."

The young man didn't hesitate. He immediately turned and began to run.

"Wait." His father told him. "Bring the muskets."

His eyes grew wide as he realized why they would need them. Over the hill in the distance he could see the burning torches and lights that move with the sea of soldiers rapidly approaching their city. "Yes, father."

When he reached his house he used his shoulder to burst open the door. His mother had locked it just in case her men were unable to get back to her in time. Her fears were not to be realized as her son came rushing through the door. "They are coming! Just over the hill now! The bombardment will begin any moment, and father wants us gone now!" His sense of urgency was unsettling in the quiet city.

The matron quickly grabbed their premade supplies for surviving in the wilderness for at least a few months, and then threw her daughter over her shoulder. As she was about to leave the house, she turned around and gave it a long, deep looking over. "Our home. Our city. Our nation... It will all be gone..." She fought back every tear she so desperately wanted to unleash upon her stress-ridden cheeks. For her family, she knew, she had to remain strong. The matron and the patron would stand together and protect what they could from the splendid life they had created. In the attic she could hear ruffling and the loud clashing of metal, wood, and lead. Her husband had asked her son to bring the weapons of war. The very same ones that would destroy everything they loved.

"Where's Zack" The son asked his mother.

"He left with the town militia."

"What!? He's going to try to fight!?" The son was ashamed that he was fleeing while his brother would be fighting against the enemy. "I should be with him!"

His mother denied him. "No. You have a different obligation!" Deep down, he knew she was right. In the far distance he could hear the sound of cannons beginning to shoot off. His beautiful city, the place where he had been born, the place where he had first fallen in love, and the place he had hoped to live the rest of his life, was going to be destroyed in a flash of gunpowder and blood. Pressed into duty by his family, he would do everything he could to protect them, just as his brother would.

With his little sister, and his mother, he began running back to the cemetary hill, where his father and him had first stood earlier tonight. "Hurry, mother! We're almost there, I can see the hill now." Just as he said those words, as if the Wurttemburgers had heard him, the hill exploded as a cannon shell landed directly where the silhouette of his father had been. He stopped in his tracks, dropping the muskets, ammunition, and supplies he had been carrying. Likewise, his mother put his sister down on the ground. They both closed their eyes, hoping to reopen them to a different reality, as if the explosion, the war, and everything had all just been a bad dream. But there was no such luck in their lives, and reality remained. As his mother fell to her knees, he slowly stumbled his way towards the hill, drunk with grief.

As he glared down at the body of his father, thrown several tens of yards away from where it had once been, he could feel the cool tears streaming down his cheeks. "No..." he said to himself. But reality was cruel. "Yes." it stared back at him through his dead father's eyes.

With a new look burning in his eyes, he glared up at the artillery bombarding his city.

"I will make you pay." Anger burned brightly, and the struggle had just begun.

After the Wurrttemburger victory at Strasbourg, Eberhard had been thrown into the hearts and souls of every one of his citizens. Or at least most of them. Westphalia, using the rallying cry, "Onward for victory, and onward for the Alliance!" captured Flanders from the Spanish King Charles II. Even after it's fall, Charles refused peace, and continued to denounce the newly independent nations who had so badly damaged his legacy.

Many citizens, across Europe, began to tell stories of the incredible rise of Wurrttemberg, and its stand against the Holy Roman Emperor. It influenced several people across the world to attempt their own rebellions against the tyrannical institutions which they had once obeyed. Nations such as the United States, and Quebec arose from such rebellions. Other nations, such as Mysore of India, used these stories to regain independence from those who had recently conquered them. The world had seen freedom, and everyone wanted it.

The Alliance had kicked Spain out of Northern Europe, and proved to France that it would not be pushed around. In response, another fellow German nation, Hannover, joined the Alliance. Together, King Eberhard of Wurrtemberg, King Joseph of Westphalia, and Queen Anna of Hannover stood against the tyranny and oppression of the Major Powers of Europe, declaring they stood for the independence of all free people across the globe.

"This world was made for all of us!" Eberhard would say, "We shall not allow a single nation to tarnish the freedoms given by god himself; among them, the freedom of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness wherever it may lie! I challenge you dark and defiled nations to stand against me, for I am a large man, and I will strike you down as a hammer does to a nail!" Newspapers across Europe brimmed with excitement and military advisors were called to France by the dozens. None of them presented an attainable solution. Wurrttemberg had won the imaginations of its own people, and the people of every nation.

Several times Queen Anna and King Joseph had advised Eberhard to move against Paris itself, and hopefully draw the enemy into friendly terms, but Eberhard had always declined. His kingdom, however, was running dry. He had no large farms to feed his people with, and hardly any type of industry to give his people jobs. There was no choice. He needed peace to deal with problems at home. He turned to Wolfgang Sutor, the Lord Secretary of War, who had performed brilliantly and mercifully against the Bavarian rebellions, and said, "Wolfgang. It's time. Send our men into France, we will force them to sign a peace treaty with us."

"Yes, sir." Wolfgang replied. There was no turning back now.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Heartfire; September 17, 2009 at 11:53 PM.

Banzai's Avatar Civis

Default Re: [IS AAR] Der Kampf [Updated: 8/26]

Nice! Did the general really got assassinated (by a rake)?
    "We have the best Congress that money can buy." Will Rogers

"I take my children everywhere, but they always find their way back home."
    Robert Orben

"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million."
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

finian1712

sweet I cant believe a proffensionall (sorry for the spelling) soldier was nervous, Wurtenmburg needs to train them better lol GREAT STORY.

Quote Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
    Nice! Did the general really got assassinated (by a rake)?
    Unfortunantely I cannot have my own rakes kill my own people. So no, in-game he was not really killed by a Rake. Kurt Trautmann is however a real character in my game. He was one of the low level Ministers in my campaign. (The ones you can select to replace the Ministers you start with.)

More will be revealed later. In case you didn't catch the hint I gave away

sweet I cant believe a proffensionall (sorry for the spelling) soldier was nervous, Wurtenmburg needs to train them better lol GREAT STORY
    Spelling is stupid anyway! (You'll find I make many spelling mistakes...)

But as far as we know...at this moment... he wasn't a professional soldier...

Banzai's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Heartfire View Post
    Unfortunantely I cannot have my own rakes kill my own people. So no, in-game he was not really killed by a Rake. Kurt Trautmann is however a real character in my game. He was one of the low level Ministers in my campaign. (The ones you can select to replace the Ministers you start with.)

More will be revealed later. In case you didn't catch the hint I gave away
    I meant to ask if he was killed by a rake of another faction, but you answered it anyway

Btw: I do wonder who the other 2 are...
    Last edited by Banzai; August 27, 2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: I like eating chicken!
    "We have the best Congress that money can buy." Will Rogers

"I take my children everywhere, but they always find their way back home."
    Robert Orben

"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million."
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

finian1712

The King and the commanding general that took Stugart maybe?

Next part is in the works. There are three more, not two more, who will be killed.

finian1712

Last night I swear I figured out who... wierd??? and I think that it will be members of the goverment and the dude sympathizes with the French.

Updated first post with pictures.

finian1712

AHH THE TARGETS ARE MINISTERS ALERT THE KING CALL OUT THE GAURD, PANIC AHHH

I've decided to post each chapter in parts from now on. Part 1 incoming.

"It's getting colder now. Can you feel it?"

"Yes, father."

"Go. Get your mother and your sister."

"Yes, father."

The young man didn't hesitate. He immediately turned and began to run.

"Wait." His father told him. "Bring the muskets."

His eyes grew wide as he realized why they would need them. Over the hill in the distance he could see the burning torches and lights that move with the sea of soldiers rapidly approaching their city. "Yes, father."

When he reached his house he used his shoulder to burst open the door. His mother had locked it just in case her men were unable to get back to her in time. Her fears were not to be realized as her son came rushing through the door. "They are coming! Just over the hill now! The bombardment will begin any moment, and father wants us gone now!" His sense of urgency was unsettling in the quiet city.

The matron quickly grabbed their premade supplies for surviving in the wilderness for at least a few months, and then threw her daughter over her shoulder. As she was about to leave the house, she turned around and gave it a long, deep looking over. "Our home. Our city. Our nation... It will all be gone..." She fought back every tear she so desperately wanted to unleash upon her stress-ridden cheeks. For her family, she knew, she had to remain strong. The matron and the patron would stand together and protect what they could from the splendid life they had created. In the attic she could hear ruffling and the loud clashing of metal, wood, and lead. Her husband had asked her son to bring the weapons of war. The very same ones that would destroy everything they loved.

"Where's Zack" The son asked his mother.

"He left with the town militia."

"What!? He's going to try to fight!?" The son was ashamed that he was fleeing while his brother would be fighting against the enemy. "I should be with him!"

His mother denied him. "No. You have a different obligation!" Deep down, he knew she was right. In the far distance he could hear the sound of cannons beginning to shoot off. His beautiful city, the place where he had been born, the place where he had first fallen in love, and the place he had hoped to live the rest of his life, was going to be destroyed in a flash of gunpowder and blood. Pressed into duty by his family, he would do everything he could to protect them, just as his brother would.

With his little sister, and his mother, he began running back to the cemetary hill, where his father and him had first stood earlier tonight. "Hurry, mother! We're almost there, I can see the hill now." Just as he said those words, as if the Wurttemburgers had heard him, the hill exploded as a cannon shell landed directly where the silhouette of his father had been. He stopped in his tracks, dropping the muskets, ammunition, and supplies he had been carrying. Likewise, his mother put his sister down on the ground. They both closed their eyes, hoping to reopen them to a different reality, as if the explosion, the war, and everything had all just been a bad dream. But there was no such luck in their lives, and reality remained. As his mother fell to her knees, he slowly stumbled his way towards the hill, drunk with grief.

As he glared down at the body of his father, thrown several tens of yards away from where it had once been, he could feel the cool tears streaming down his cheeks. "No..." he said to himself. But reality was cruel. "Yes." it stared back at him through his dead father's eyes.

With a new look burning in his eyes, he glared up at the artillery bombarding his city.

"I will make you pay." Anger burned brightly, and the struggle had just begun.

After the Wurrttemburger victory at Strasbourg, Eberhard had been thrown into the hearts and souls of every one of his citizens. Or at least most of them. Westphalia, using the rallying cry, "Onward for victory, and onward for the Alliance!" captured Flanders from the Spanish King Charles II. Even after it's fall, Charles refused peace, and continued to denounce the newly independent nations who had so badly damaged his legacy.

Many citizens, across Europe, began to tell stories of the incredible rise of Wurrttemberg, and its stand against the Holy Roman Emperor. It influenced several people across the world to attempt their own rebellions against the tyrannical institutions which they had once obeyed. Nations such as the United States, and Quebec arose from such rebellions. Other nations, such as Mysore of India, used these stories to regain independence from those who had recently conquered them. The world had seen freedom, and everyone wanted it.

The Alliance had kicked Spain out of Northern Europe, and proved to France that it would not be pushed around. In response, another fellow German nation, Hannover, joined the Alliance. Together, King Eberhard of Wurrtemberg, King Joseph of Westphalia, and Queen Anna of Hannover stood against the tyranny and oppression of the Major Powers of Europe, declaring they stood for the independence of all free people across the globe.

"This world was made for all of us!" Eberhard would say, "We shall not allow a single nation to tarnish the freedoms given by god himself; among them, the freedom of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness wherever it may lie! I challenge you dark and defiled nations to stand against me, for I am a large man, and I will strike you down as a hammer does to a nail!" Newspapers across Europe brimmed with excitement and military advisors were called to France by the dozens. None of them presented an attainable solution. Wurrttemberg had won the imaginations of its own people, and the people of every nation.

Several times Queen Anna and King Joseph had advised Eberhard to move against Paris itself, and hopefully draw the enemy into friendly terms, but Eberhard had always declined. His kingdom, however, was running dry. He had no large farms to feed his people with, and hardly any type of industry to give his people jobs. There was no choice. He needed peace to deal with problems at home. He turned to Wolfgang Sutor, the Lord Secretary of War, who had performed brilliantly and mercifully against the Bavarian rebellions, and said, "Wolfgang. It's time. Send our men into France, we will force them to sign a peace treaty with us."

"Yes, sir." Wolfgang replied. There was no turning back now.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Heartfire; September 16, 2009 at 09:46 PM.

Default Re: [IS AAR] Der Kampf [Updated: 9/8]

I like the style - your writing is very good. I'll definitly keep reading.

Just one thing: Oakland? Seriously?

Whoa whoa whoa!! No Oakland haters allowed =D (Which means I lose about 99.9% of America.)

But yea, whenever I watch a football game I always find myself rooting for the underdogs. Besides, once our demonic owner Al Davis dies we will be all good again! Pray that he dies soon. Please. What's your team?

Interesting... I personally like reading AARs that aren't just battle reports (though I like those too ) and I'm looking forward to reading this story arc.

@Heartfire - Kansas City, so I know what you mean about underdogs. At least you admit that Al Davis is evil - maybe you're an Oakland fan I can tolerate. Keep the AAr coming! I love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast