Thread: Hrafn the Good, Viking Warrior of Great Renown!

Default Hrafn the Good, Viking Warrior of Great Renown!

I just thought I'd share one of my awesome generals which I had the pleasure of grooming in my last Viking campaign.

The mighty Vikings, after a particularly lucrative series of raids had finally erected a Royal Hall from which the fiercest warriors in the north could be trained and taken into service as powerful Huscarles. One of these warriors, Hrafn the Good, caught the King's eye. Maybe the King could see the potential in the man's heart, or maybe, he just found his name pleasing to the ear...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Hrafn is Old Norse for 'Raven'. My username being unfortunate crow, I took a liking to this guy...

The King had his eye on fertile Ireland. Weakened by vicious Viking raids, the isle was ripe for the taking, and Hrafn the Good was called upon to lead the invasion effort, while the King led his band of warriors in a campaign of pillaging along the eastern coast of Britain. Hrafn was opposed by the Scots, the Irish, Rebels, and many catholic bandits, but he prevailed against them all. Before long, Hrafn had brought the isle of Ireland under control. Though his King had passed away, the King's son, now king himself, held the warrior in great esteem. As a reward, Hrafn was named Prince of Norway, and would henceforth be known as Lord Hrafn. Lord Hrafn was then called upon to assert his King's influence over the Isle of Man, and then over northern Britain. This task he executed with due diligence, until his King honored him once more with the title of Ofridir-Jarlar, or "War-Earl".

Lord Hrafn had by now distinguished himself as a man of battle and bravery, as well as an able administrator of the lands under his charge. Though even this great warrior was not without fault...

Lord Hrafn was a lover of life, and a man of many passions, including the opposite sex. His adulterous affair with the wife of a nobleman proved a small slight against his reputation, but the consequences of his passion could not change the fate which the Norns had in store for him.

His King was growing old, and the man had not sired a son in his years. As the time came nearer, none knew who the King would choose to take the throne after his death. Some had an inkling though... On a late winter night, the King called his most trusted Huscarles to his side as he lay dying upon his throne. Here he made the proclamation that his greatest War-Earl would become the protector of the Norse people after his death. It was not long after this, that the King passed on to the halls of his fathers. Rings were given, and blood-oaths were sworn, and King Hrafn as he would now be known, wasted no time in continuing the work of his people.

Britain was weak, and the Norse people made swift headway in their conquest of the pathetic isle, her riches filling the trade-knorrs to their brims. Led from the front by their intrepid King, the fierce Viking armies laid waste to much of the northern isle. One particular engagement during this campaign would forever seal King Hrafn's legend for ages to come...

On the rolling fields of Elmete, King Hrafn and his 900 most trusted men faced off against Lord Godwin of the Saxons, and nearly 7,000 battle-hardened saxons. Against the advice of his huscarles, King Hrafn called for an attack in the most violent of thunderstorms. It is said the King rallied his shaken troops before the battle. "Our people are riders of the northern wind." The King exclaimed. "Let the Saxons know that with the winds come our warriors, and with our warriors, death!".

In the rain-soaked fields, the battle raged. But the Saxons could not resist the indomitable will of King Hrafn and his mighty warriors. As Saxon reinforcements flooded the field, the King and his men fought on. In time, the Norse host had claimed over 1,000 Saxon lives, and taken well over 1,000 Saxons prisoner. Their general dead, and facing an implacable foe, the Saxons had no choice but to call a retreat! Victory horns raised high, the Viking army plundered the spoils of their victory, which were considerable. The most numerous Saxon host was defeated, and now ran to their women. King Hrafn wasted his advantage not. Before long, many more provinces fell to the men of the north, inciting the people of southern britain to rise up against their feeble Saxon lords. It is said, the King held the ear of all the world at this time...

It was then that the people of the north were struck with a great sadness. Surrounded by his woman, his sons, and his most trusted Huscarles, the great King passed on to the halls of his fathers. Though an event of great sadness, the King had ensured his line would remain strong. Britain was crumbling, and the armies of the north were strong. The isles which the King left, asail in a pyre-ship, were much different from the isles which Hrafn had come to so many years ago...

...and that is the story of my awesome general.

Apparently, when your King dies without heirs as the Vikings, one of your generals is chosen to become the new King (Ever had your King die and a general disappear? That's what wil happen). This is what happened with Hrafn the Good, or Lord Hrafn as he was known at that time. Unfortunately, when this happens, the general loses their previous name, and is given a new one from the list of King names. In this case, the general became known as King Harald II. When I was putting the images together of their stat sheets (putting the vices and virtues attached to the rest of the sheet), I changed "King Harald II" to "King Hrafn I". I did this on the battle deployment pic too.

He also will get a new portrait, so I had to take the liberty of switching that out too.

...Just so you guys know.
    Last edited by unfortunate crow; August 28, 2009 at 09:03 PM.

Default Re: Hrafn the Good, Viking Warrior of Great Renown!

A most excellent tale of Lord (and later King) Hrafn the Good. Thanks for sharing it with us!
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

Nice

AAR! AAR!
    "The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise." Tacitus on Health & Safety
    "Abuse, if you slight it, will gradually die away; but if you show yourself irritated, you will be thought to have deserved it." Tacitus on trolling

sob..sob..
    http://e-sim.org/lan.126366/

Je t'aime ma petite chou!

Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hmmmm.....You nearly inspired me to press the m:Tw icon on my desktop. But then i realised i have etw installed on the computer aswell Nice story

joerd9's Avatar Decanus

Nice story!