Thread: The Siege of Constantinople, 1204

Default The Siege of Constantinople, 1204

Part 1, "Achilos"

It was a glorious summer day. The sun was dazling and birds in the parks of Constantinople seemed to be singing for all they were worth. It was a much too beautiful day to spend it in the library, Achilos reflected. He was standing on the steps of the library where his mentor Aiklos had told him to wait for his new history tutor.
    A pair of beautiful young ladies passed by and gave him shy but still curious glances. He smiled at them and waved, realizing too late that he was acting like a nerd. The ladies giggled goodnaturedly and whispered to each other as they entered the library and disappeared.
    'Now that's a reason to go to a library', he muttered and sighed. For a moment he was thinking of just following them but he had given his tutors, especially his history tutors, the slip once too often already. He could still remember the argument had had with Aiklos a week ago.

'But why?! History is the story of people who have been dead for decades or even centuries! History is dead. Why bother?!'
    'Because, young man, history is everything but dead. Not only does it define to a considerable extent, who we are, but also why we are, who we are. And, perhaps most important of all, it can show us what worked in the past and what didn't. Always remember: He, who doesn't know the past, is condemned to repeat it.'
    'Well, we didn't do that bad, as far as I know.'
    'Yes, you're right. And why didn't we? Hm?'
    'Because we're Romans, I know, I know.'
    'No, you don't know! That's the whole point! Now you listen to me, boy. History is important. Period. I have organized a new history tutor for you who will teach you as long as Poliferos refuses to continue your teaching. You've brought me into a difficult situation, you know?'
    Achilos remembered how uncomfortable he had felt when Aiklos had told him about the problems he had caused. None of the teachers of the Academy were willing anymore to teach him because of his ... elusiveness ... during classes. This made Aiklos, who had used his influence as a former member at the academy to provide for Achilos' private tutoring, look like an utter fool. Achilos liked the old men. He really did. And that was why he finally had promised to be, as Aiklos had formulated it, a "good boy".
    'Good, my boy', Aiklos had said, 'and besides, remember that you're not only doing this for you, or for me, but also for your father. You know how strong he feels about your education.'
    'Well, that's at least something he feels strong about, when it comes to me.'
    Aiklos had sighed, understandlingly, and had put his arm around Achilos' shoulders.
    'Listen, my boy. I know you miss him and feel that he doesn't care as much about you as he should,...'
    'It's not that! He simply...'
    'Hush! It's exactly that. You miss him and you love him. That's why you are so bitter about his continued absence. If you wouldn't love him, you wouldn't be so bitter about his attitude, or at least what you think his attitude towards you is. We both know that I have often enough tried to explain to you, why he is away almost all the time. You know the Empire has a lot of enemies.'
    'I know but that still doesn't make it better.'
    'No, it doesn't, but it can help you understand and if you understand, then it gets better, at least a little bit. And in order to understand it helps when you know your history. See, there you are. There's your reason. I knew I was a genius.'

Achilos remembered the loud, goodnatured laugh of Aiklos that day and smiled. For him he would even overcome his boredom and at least attend the classes of this new tutor. And besides, thinking of the girls who had passed, education might really open up new opportunities.
    The Siege of Constaninople
    An AAR of 1204 in 34 pictures
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=289666

Dr. Jones's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: The Siege of Constantinople, 1204

I had a nice read
    I hope you continue soon.

Achilos grew more impatient with every minute. The tutor should have had arrived at midday and it was already half an hour after midday and still no sign of anyone. He was sitting on an ornate stone bench in the small park next to the library and occupied himself with thoughts on biology and geography of female humans but was interrupted at the neck when a voice from behind said, 'What do you think you're doing there, young man?'
    Achilos turned to see a big man in his early forties, wearing dusted but finely crafted body armor and helmet under his left arm. His eyes were dark and his brown hair showed first signs of grey. However, his boyish smile revealed warmth and humour.
    'Father?'
    'Hello, Achilos.'
    Achilos stood up.
    'What are you doing here? We thought you were on campaign.'
    'I was...as always. Anyway, campaigning season is over for me this year, which means that I can finally spend some time with my loved ones.'
    Achilos felt touched by the way his father had phrased it. He approached his father and hugged him.
    'Hi, dad. I'm glad you're here.'
    His father returned his embracement and patted him on the back.
    'So am I.'
    'So, what did mom say when she saw you?'
    'I don't know. I wasn't home yet.'
    'Oh...well, then let's go home. She'll be out of her mind with joy.'
    Varras' face turned into a mock expression grave seriousness.
    'Don't you have an appointment yet? With a new tutor?'
    'How do you know? Have you seen Aiklos, already?'
    'Yes and no. You see, he wrote me a letter some weeks ago in which he mentioned that your academic fevor was not as hot as it could be, stating that your reputation as a 'special' student preceedes you.'
    Achilos grinned sheepishly.
    'Well, at least my reputation preceeds me. Not bad of a 17 year old.'
    Varras' face split into a rueful smile.
    'You have that from your father, I'm afraid. I hated those boring bookworms, too. However there are some things worth learning. And as your new tutor in history I shall show you some of these.'
    Achilos jaw dropped ever so slightly.
    'You? You're my new tutor?'
    His father set down his helmet on the bench and, with his hands on his hips, proudly announced, 'Varras Nikotas, Master of the 3rd Battalion, Royal Cataphracts, at your service. And now let's go. We still have some work to do before we get home for dinner.'

They left the park and were greeted by a cataphract, also in dusty armor, who held two horses, one of them being Varras battle mare. Varras told him to visit Varras' wife and deliver both the horse and the message of arrival and afterwards consider himself free of duty until called upon. The cataphract nodded, untied a small leather bag from his mount and exchanged it for Varras' helmet before saluting and trotting off with the horses. Varras motioned to his son to follow him and they ambled through narrow streets down towards the harbor. As they approached the more industrial harbor area streets grew more and more filled with busy people. After a while they had to force their way through until finally, gloriously bursting out of the last street onto the harbor promenade. The sea, glittering in the sun, was raising both men's spirits as they made it towards one of the few two-storey wooden buildings on the promenade. Achilos had never been here but the sign above the entrance showed a sea serpent crushing a large green crecent. Beneath the picture the name of the inn was written: Crescent's Nemesis.
    They entered and found a mostly deserted but wonderfully spacious and clean inn, the rich interior of which belied it's poor outer appearance. Beautifuly ,expensive wood covered all surfaces. Beside the middleaged keeper and his wife/waitress/both only one guest was present: a grinning Aiklos.
    'There you are, you band of troublemakers. Thought you might never show up. Which would have been a shame as it is much more fun drinking when you've got good company.'
    Achilos and his father took seats across the table which offered a fantastic view through an open window onto the harbor and beyond it the sea. Achilos was the first to speak after the introductory acts of courtesy and giving their orders to the waitress.
    'So this was your plan, after all.'
    'Yes. Who else can tell you some stories, histories as it were, which you find interesting and relevant? Say, Varras, did you get it?'
    Varras gave a mysterious nod and handed Aiklos the leather satchel who took it and pulled something out and inspected it beneath the edge of the table so that Achilos didn't get a look at it.
    'Hm, yes, a great work.'
    'What is that?'
    His father answered, 'That is a present. For you. You're old enough now. Therefore I'm presenting you with this'. He nodded to Aiklos who finally lifted the object above the rim of the table and gave it to Achilos.
    'A book? Well, thanks...'
    Both older men chuckled.
    'You haven't even opened it, son. A few explaining words. Do you know when I first met your mother?'
    'Yes, some 18 years ago, here in Constantinople.'
    'Yes, you're right. She was the daughter of a wool merchant and I was a soldier. That you know. What you don't know is that I met her in January of that year.'
    'Ok, so?'
    'What was that year?'
    'I don't know. 03 or 04.'
    'Yes, and....?'
    'And? And what?'
    'Well what was in 1204?'
    'Oh!...oh...'
    'Yes?'
    'The Siege of Constantinople. You mean, you were there?'
    'Not only me, but that old, good-for-nothing scoundrel of a beerhead over there was, too.'
    Aiklos rose up in mock outrage, 'who do you call old?!'
    'Anyway, he was a senior member of the academy then and I was...well, you'll see. You see, some years before 1204 the Emperor had infringed a contract with the Venetians of upper Italy which granted them exclusive trade rights, by also welcoming the Genoese merchants. This meant a large loss of income and influence for the Venetians who had the aim making the whole eastern Mediterranean their "Mare Nostrum".
    Aiklos continued.
    'One of the things one should have learned as an Emperor is: never provoke the traders! Especially not those seafaring scumbags from upper Italy. Always remember: the one paying the band also decides the music to be played. So the Venetians decided to retaliate. And merchants never do anything if it doesn't pay so they needed to do something really big so that it not only improved their standing in the Mediterranean but also raised profits and provided net income. Their idea? The occupation of Constantinople itself. Not only for its riches but also because it controlled the access to the Black Sea and the goods of the Steppes and the Silk roads going through the Caucasus. But you see, they lacked muscles.'
    Varras took over again.
    'You see, the Venetians have a vast and powerful fleet. What they don't have is a powerful army able to reach Constantinople in force, much less take it. But a coincidence helped them in a way we could not have forseen. A crusade of the Westerners had been called shortly before 1204 and these crusaders needed ships to carry them to the Kingdom of Jerusalem, as the sea was and is the fastest line of communication. And only the Venetians could provide this fleet. But as the crusaders didn't have the money to pay for the trip the Venetians devised a diabolical plan. Across the Adria, on the Balkan shore there was a growing trading port called Zara.'
    Aiklos interrupted with a fire in his eyes.
    'And they had made themselves a nuisance for the Venetians. So those Italian bastards just decided to erase that threat. And here the Crusaders showed up. The Venetians agreed that, if the Crusaders attacked and took that town they would lend the Crusaders the money to pay the trip to the Levant. Imagine that! They would only "lend" the money. We should go their with a fleet of our own and burn that mother of a city down!'
    Varras, not roused at all by this outbreak, continued more matter-of-factly.
    'Well, said and done. The Crusaders assaulted the town and the Venetians had proof of that they had found what they were looking for: a mighty land army able to conquer a well fortified town. Now, instead of shipping the Crusader army to the Holy Land, they offered Baldwin I. of Flanders, the leader of the crusade, a price not as spiritual but much more rich than Jerusalem: Constantinople. Of course, Baldwin accepted and his crusaders, together with minor Venetian units but considerable artillery under the master of Venice, Doge Enrico Dandolo, set sail for Constantinople.'
    'This was when your father and I first met. We met at a banquett of the father of your mother. That was in march 1204. And in the limited time your father did not spend making goo-goo eyes at your future mother, I found him a bearable interlocutor. Anyway, we, like everyone else, were talking about the coming onslaught of those latin bastards. And during these talks he had one of his sole two brilliant ideas of his life. He suggested to me that, as the head of the art department of the academy, it would be a lifetime opportunity to chronicle the battle of the century, the Siege of Constantinople, not only by mere words but by pictures and the sort.'
    'So what was his second brilliant idea then?'
    'To marry your mother of course. I thank god even today that he did it. His love-drunken behavior really got on my nerves, I can tell you. I might even have discontinued to honor him with my gifted and gifting presence. Imagine that! But "all's well that ends well", as one of my plays says. Anyway, I at once herded my students together and instructed them to start looking for spots from where they could observe the battle and to secure the events, any way they wanted. Oil paintings or pencil sketches. Whatever, just get those impressions. Of course most of my students were uninspired cowards and prefered to stay under their beds once the assault would start. But there were some who had the heart in the right place.'
    Varras chuckled goodnaturedly.
    'Yes, and Aiklos, the old goat, was the most brave of all the artists. He was in the center of it all, as you shall see. Anyway, the product of all that dangerous work by him and his assistants is what you have in front of you now. While you browse through it we will deliver the story. This is our present for your maturity.'

Achilos, who had listened intently, stared at the thick, leather covered book lying in front of him with new eyes. After receiving encouraging nods from both his father and his mentor, he opened the book on page one. As in a dream, that dark and soft voice of his father began to speak...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It was the year 1204. A combined army of Crusaders and Venetians, 40.000 strong, had laid siege to the most powerful city of christendom. With massive artillery and superior numbers, the enemy prepared for one decisive all-out-assault. Battle was imminent...

Dr. Jones's Avatar Tiro

Good ubdate.

[NOTE: For rethorical reasons, unit numbers have been multiplied by ten]

The invaders had brought along massive artillery, so General Tobromeros, knowing that our troops were not a match for theirs neither in quantity nor quality, decided to focus the defense on the main square, where ultimately both armies, the Crusaders and the Venetians, would eventually try to link up.
    Both enemy armies had about a thousand heavy cavalry they call knights. With heavy chainmail and lifelong training and experience these were the most fundamental arm of their army, but not the only one. For each of these armies also comprised of 6 regiments of professional foot soldiers, 1000 to 1500 strong each, called seargents, clad also in heavy mail, with big kite shaped shields, spears and even axes. They were superior to our skutatoi regiments, who were neither clad in chainmail nor were that proficient in warfare as a whole. Even our two swordarmed spatatoi infantry were no match in a one-on-one engagement.
    Moreover the Latins also brought with them more lightly armored swordsmen and each army had 3 or 4 regiments of crossbowmen who were not only able to shoot missles capable of penetrating even the strongest armor but were also proficient in hand-to-hand fighting.

In a war council earlier on, Tobromeros and Sven Svenson, the leader of our 1000 men Varangian Guard, had agreed to line up all our troops at the main square, defending each of the four entrances. The main approaches were the Via Justiniana in the north, the main line of advance for Baldwin's army, and Via Nicephorusa in the south, where the attack of Dandolo would be heaviest.

Achilos turned to page two.

This sketch was made from one of the towers of the Hagia Sophia. On the left you can see the northern Via Justiniana, guarded by the 3rd and 5th Infantry Brigades, both speararmed units, supported by catapult batteries CB 1 and 3.
    To the right you have the southern approach, Via Nicephorusa, guarded by 1st and 2nd HG Brigades 'Homeguards' who were made up of civilians. They did not have any armor, but Tobromeros was sure that they would stand up to the enemy due to the pikes they were wielding, though most of the captains, including the Homeguard brigade commanders, didn't share his opinion. You can see CB 2, another catapult battery, being in support. The other approaches, here at the top and the bottom of the sketch, were guarded by 6th and 9th Infantry Brigades. 102nd and 103rd Brigades, spathatoi sword infantry, were in reserve, along with the Varangian Guard, 3rd and 4th Light Infantry, armed with javelins, 4th and 5th Auxilia Infantry, archers, and 1st Hippotoxotai, a horsearcher brigade.

The bombardmend of the walls started half an hour after sunrise. Catapults and Trebuchets penetrated our walls within the hour. However there was a mismatch in the Latins' plans as Baldwin's army started the assault much earlier than the southern army under Bandolo. From what we know, we assume that Baldwin was trying to outpace Bandolo, wanting to claim Constantinople all for himself before Bandolo's troops had even pierced the walls. One of the artists had positioned himself on the second floor of an inn, looking out across Via Justiniana. This is one of his paintings.

This is Baldwin I. racing ahead of his troops. He was obviously persuaded that we had scattered and were looking for refuge amongst the civilans when he had passed the undefended wall breaches. He was utterly suprised when, bursting out of Via Justiniana, he and his personal retinue ran into the two Infantry brigades awaiting him. Still he fought, perhaps to give his slowmoving infantry time to come up. Though outnumbered he and his so-called knights succeded in this, though for a high price, which some Anna Miranudus, who was in one of the mansions situated on main square, chronicled in her work.

At the bottom of this sketch you can discern Baldwin, going down, hit be Greek Fire, burning alive. However, here, to the right, you can see the first of the Latin regiments engaging 5th Infantry. The battle for the center of orthodox Christianity was on.
    More and more of Balwin's regiments joined the battle against 5th Infantry while 3rd Infantry was struggling against the ongoing onslaught of Baldwin's personal guard. On the oil painting on the next page...

...you can see one of CB 1's salvos of Greek Fire landing amidst the enemy infantry while on the right Baldwin's guard, seemingly unimpressed by their leaders death, continued pushing back 3rd Infantry.

On this plate you can see as the first Assault of Baldwin's army is finally repelled by 3rd and 5th Infantry with heavy support by CBs 1 and 3.

But while the northern army drew back to reform and send flanking units, the southern under Dandolo finally made their move. In contrast to their brethren their first attack along Via Nicephorusa was well coordinated with knights leading the attack, supported by several seargent regiments who smashed into the Homeguard brigades.

Contrary to what had been expected, the Homeguard did not falter and through the whole battle would never do. Their line would bend, their line would even be pierced but it would never disintegrate.
    With the battle on Via Nicephorusa raging, a flanking attack to the east was met by 6th Infantry and some youngster nobles throwing javelins.

In the south, however the defensive perimeter of the Homeguards had been compromised as a number of knights had penetrated the spearwall and were attacking the Cat Batteries.

As more knights and seargents were pushing through gaps in the line, and with the Infantry Brigades 102 and 103 occupied holding renewed attacks in the north, Tobromeros decided to send in the most powerful reserve...

...the Varangian Guard rushed to close the gap in the lines of the Homeguard.

Last edited by George S. Patton; August 25, 2009 at 12:20 PM.

Icon1 Re: The Siege of Constantinople, 1204

The vicious flanking attack to the east was at least contained by 6th Infantry and supporting javelins, chronicled in a very fine coloured sketch.

The CBs continued to spread terror and destruction among the enemies, shooting devastating Greek Fire.

However, the lack of CB fire in the south due to broken through knights had allowed the enemy to double his efforts, his line of infantry advancing not only against the Homeguard but also against the Varangaroi. With other Infantry Brigades needed at other points the situation grew dire. If the enemy was able to deploy all his forces in a single front line they would eventually overpower us.

The next drawing shows the disorder on Via Justiniana in the north after several unsuccessful but still costly assaults, costly for both sides.

Fire arrows from the Auxilia Brigades proved inefficient to hinder the enemy.
    In the south, against herculian efforts of the Varangaroi and Homeguard, the enemy had reach the CBs.

In the face of defeat against the southern juggernaut, all Auxilia and Light Infantry were sent into close combat.

To make matters worse, Dandolo himself attacked from the West with his knights and further heavy infantry.

Met by 9th Infanty the pushed forward regardlessly. Only a small respite in the north occured as the worn out men of Baldwin pulled back slightly to entrench behind a small hill, blocking any counter attack or flanking moves.

All the while desperate fighting was raging in the south, with victory in and at the same time out of both sides' grasp.

To the east, 6th infantry was barely holding on, even with the help of auxiliaries.

A counterattack in the north by the General, his excubitores guard and additional auxilia achieved an advance of only a few hundred paces and the General being killed. Still, the few remaining guards penetrated the enemy line.
    In the west, however so had Dandolo, with equal losses.

In a daring move he outflanked the 9th and not even the remaing Varangaroi could stop him.

Still, he with this his luck was finally spend. With his guard dead on the field and the accompanying infantry still checked by the 9th, he suddenly found himself alone in a see of Byzantines. Still it took the aid of 1st Hippotoxotai, in close combat, to finally bring this proficient master of arms to the ground.

Meanwhile the counterattack of 5th Auxilia ended in their being routed by the Latins who thereby secured the northern exit of the inner city against our sorties, securing the flanks of the other Latins.

But what they had not prevented was the breakthrough of the rest of the Imperial Guard although inflicting serious losses on them. Still, it would prove to be enough as that handful of men finally smashed into the eastern assault forces, finally routing this threat.

With this small victory, a counterattack in the south was finally attempted but the Latins sent in reinforcements, quickly checking the advance.
    In the north, the Guards, together with the rallied men of 5th auxilia were finally able to crush opposition of Baldwin's forces...

...while in the south a flank attack of the Hippotoxotai brought much needed relief in the counter attack.

Finally, the norther army was obliberated. The Guard you see on this picture, that was me, one of the last men of the bodyguard still able to wield a weapon.

And finally, even the southern army was sent fleeing with close support by CB 2 brought up.

We had won.

The END

Last edited by George S. Patton; August 25, 2009 at 01:16 PM.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Great pictures! You could extend your tale...

Under the patronage of m_1512

Bugout's Avatar Foederatus

Very nicely done, I like the way the pictures have been modified to add to the feel of the story. That makes it so I can forgive you for not showing all those good-looking units like the pelekyphoroi in their full digital glory.

I'm afraid the Byz will not receive another AAR soon as I had a gamecrashing CTD in 1218

Well it was very good, despite the short length

Aragorn1963's Avatar Biarchus

Very well done! A joy to read. A history book should be made like this.