Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: y2day's Visual Improvement Project for KGCM *New Download*

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default y2day's Visual Improvement Project for KGCM *New Download*

y2day's VIP for KGCM
    Full Download

Install Instructions for all downloads: Unrar into the kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod folder.

New Content:
    Splash
    Loading Screen Borders
    Main Menu
    Loading Bar
    Kievan Rus symbol
    Strat Map Textures for Kievan Rus
    Kingdom of Castile symbol
    New Loading Screen
    Lithuania Symbols
    Teutonic Order Symbols

Pics:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Second Release of my VIP is a conversion of symbols and strat map textures of the Russian faction to the more historical accurate Kievan Rus. I named it 1.0 because I would like to continue working on the faction in the future. Maybe new battle banners and maybe redo a few skins, but before that I will be concentrating on Spain. I would like to thank B.Ward for the use of his templates for strat map Captains and Generals, it is saves so much time. Also would like to thank Dave Scarface for a great mod and being very supportive of my work here.

The Third Release is new menu and strat map symbols for the Spain Faction "Kingdom of Castile". I also included a new loading screen I modded from a pic posted by Soul Firez. I would like to thank him for the contribution.

The Forth Release is the Baltic Crusade release containing Teutonic Order and Lithuania menu and strat map symbols. I hope to return to both factions in the future to create more content to match the new symbols.

The seperate download links have been removed. All content is now in the full download including a fix by our glorious creator Dave Scarface. I have also upload a compatible version with Soul Firez Return of the Horde submod. I would suggest downloading the full pack it is save game compatible. The Return of the Horde cpmpatible version isn't save game compatible I don't think.

y

OLD RELEASES / ALL INCLUDED IN FULL DOWNLOAD:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Kievan Rus 1.0 Download

Kingdom Castile New Symbol Download

Last edited by y2day; January 02, 2010 at 09:00 PM.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Default Re: y2day's Visual Improvement Project for KGCM

Nice work already using the splash screen but will look at the other stuff soon and comment ..

The biggest wish list i would have for visual improvements and probably the hardest to implement is well faction symbols, shiny new faction symbols

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

Hi Y2day,

Thanks for taking the time to make a new visual improvement pack for KGCM This is the first time I think we have had one of the top artists around here work on a submod specifically for KGCM. I am interested to hear that the first faction you are going to focus on is Wales. I think that their skins in Kingdoms were quite poorly done. And new skins for Wales would make this submod quite popular I think and give it an edge. Do you think you will be making any new units for any of the new factions? That would also be a cool idea if you are interested in doing that. Anyway I wish you good luck, and if I can help you at all with advice or anything just let me know.

regards,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Firez View Post
    Nice work already using the splash screen but will look at the other stuff soon and comment ..

The biggest wish list i would have for visual improvements and probably the hardest to implement is well faction symbols, shiny new faction symbols
    Faction symbols aren't really hard to implement just time consuming because you have to create so many for each faction. I think the vanilla symbols are actually very well done. I wouldn't mind changing a few for historical accuracy if needed, but as far as redoing them all.... I will think about it. Let me know what you think about the menu. I did it real quick so, I might change it in future release.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Scarface View Post
    Hi Y2day,

Thanks for taking the time to make a new visual improvement pack for KGCM This is the first time I think we have had one of the top artists around here work on a submod specifically for KGCM. I am interested to hear that the first faction you are going to focus on is Wales. I think that their skins in Kingdoms were quite poorly done. And new skins for Wales would make this submod quite popular I think and give it an edge. Do you think you will be making any new units for any of the new factions? That would also be a cool idea if you are interested in doing that. Anyway I wish you good luck, and if I can help you at all with advice or anything just let me know.

regards,
    Dave
    Thanks Dave for such a great mod, I've been playing a nice Wales campaign for the past week and your right some new skins wouldn't hurt. Thank you for the compliment, I will do my best to enrich the experience of your hardwork. As far as new units I may do that too. This will be slow going at best as I am really busy with real life but I have cleared all my other duties and commitments here at TWC (almost). I was looking for a nice little project and have always enjoyed your mod. I plan to do frequent updates as I finish things, so keep an eye out. Thanks again

y

edit: Looking at the borders now I'm at work they seem a little to dark. Will lighten them up in future release. My monitor at home is going out.
    Last edited by y2day; August 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM.

Faction symbols aren't really hard to implement just time consuming because you have to create so many for each faction. I think the vanilla symbols are actually very well done. I wouldn't mind changing a few for historical accuracy if needed, but as far as redoing them all.... I will think about it. Let me know what you think about the menu. I did it real quick so, I might change it in future release.
    I agree, I think most of the vanilla faction symbols look fine enough as they are. Of course if you made an entirely new set of historically accurate faction symbols for KGCM, that would be very popular with all the history nerds, and your rep would probably increase 10 fold! But keep in mind that "historically accurate" does not always look better. I've done a little research into the real coat of arms used by many of the factions in KGCM and some look worse than vanilla ones, while others look more interesting. I think one of my least favourite faction symbols currently is Spain, the vanilla symbol with the big red castle in the middle looks too basic, and I much prefer the Crown of Castile coat of arms from later. The vanilla Russia faction symbol looks very bizarre as well, and does not represent Kievan Rus, I'm not sure where CA dreamed that one up from? But on the whole most of them are already looking good, dare I say it on these mod forums.. We are supposed to renounce everything that is vanilla and curse it aren't we, sorry!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; August 24, 2009 at 10:26 AM.

Incontinenta Buttox's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Wow!

Plus rep, and then some.

New spanish symbol coming soon.

Also Russia (Kievan Rus) suggestions welcome if different from below.

This is going to be awesome when it's all said and done

How is this?

If you guys like I will create the rest.

is the one on the left for spain? the kievan rus one looks good

both look great and yes i would say that spain been hunting around for crests for heroes and i am sure i have seen something very similar to that for spain

What i did for Spain was keep the yellow color from vanilla then added features from the above render of the Castile coat of arms. If someone has another idea then let me know. The shields in vanilla are really too small to include the entire image. Also will touch up the shields to look more like the vanilla ones before creating the rest.

well i like it the way you did it

Great work on your new faction shields! the Rus one is awesome and the Spain one is as good as we can get it I guess with the shield scale. But I think I would prefer the symbol to be red and white chequered in the background rather than yellow and red, but that is just my personal opinion. If you are content enough with the current design then that would do nicely I think

Ok, I thinkI'm done touching them up, I even tried the checkered look and liked it. I will create the rest soon.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

I love both the above y2day. Just wondering when you roughly expect your next release to be (just a basic idea), as I've not downloaded the pack yet but I will if it's going to be a substantial enough of a wait until the fantastic new shields and the like are out.

Reece J
    Hopefully no later than this weekend. I will release shields and maybe a little something extra. I will have a seperate download for the shields for people that have downloaded the first release, and I will bundle the rest for people that didn't get the first one. I also plan to lighten up the boarders on the loading screens so everyone may want to download the updated pack.
    Last edited by y2day; August 26, 2009 at 06:51 AM.

Long time lurker here, but I have a small suggestion... I noticed this the other night after having downloaded your above pack: on the loading screen right before your game starts, if the random quote that the game spits out is more than one line then the text overlaps the bottom border of the image. If you could maybe raise the picture and borders a bit it would look a lot better, IMO. There is quite a bit of space under the 'Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod' title... Just a thought...

NC

I don't think I changed the dimensions from the original borders but will take a look and move them as you have suggested. Well it shouldn't matter since I used that thicker silvery boarder you are right it must be getting in the way. I will fix with my next release. Thanks for the input, it is good to see you long time lurkers joining in.

Preposed Spain symbol, let me know if you guys like this better. I can't seem to decide what I want to do with Spain.

Russia to Kievan Rus Symbol and Strat Map conversion will be the next release. Coming Soon!!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast