Thread: Prisoners

killerrabbit's Avatar Senator

Default Prisoners

Hey there, with the new NTW I was hoping that CA would finally include prisoners, mainly because they were pretty important, for selling or for trading them back for other prisoners.

so my question, does anyone knows if they'll be included?

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Default Re: Prisoners

i hope so even though i just exicuted mine half the time cuz no one would buy them back
    Signature Removed - Read this.

-TWC moderation Staff

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

Not sure if there was much medieval type of prisoner exchange. Most prisoners rotted away at their enemy´s prison camps or, in the case of the french prisoners from the battle of Bailen of 1808, one some isolated island rock south of Mallorca.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bail%C3%A9n

The rank-and-file were led aboard prison-ships converted for the purpose and removed to squalid camps on Cabrera and the Canary Islands between 1809 and 1813. A small portion was eventually transferred to milder imprisonment in England. One group, languishing in the floating prison hulks in the Bay of Cádiz, rose up in 1811 and overwhelmed their captors, cutting the mooring cables and floating to the safety of the French lines surrounding the city.[2] Only 1,500 of the French prisoners were released or relocated, or escaped their island-prisons, during the Napoleonic wars. Fewer than half the prisoners ever returned home; most died in cruel captivity.[58] On July 6, 1814, the remaining survivors returned to France: the last of Bailén.

Didn't they use prisoners for the labour people didn;t want to do , like slaves.
    Last edited by Astaroth; August 23, 2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: ot part removed

I believe a lot of prisoners were returned when treaties were signed etc. I know that, in Empire's time at least, some regiments were actually drafted (at least originally) from prisoners of war, France's Royal Suedois regiment being a prime example.

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Most were put in prison hulks (old ships that did not sail) basically floating prisons
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Well I think the ideal is that units actually surrender on the battle field and are taken prisoner, or killed if your a cruel commander, think Bloody Tarenton. That was a cool concept in M2TW the concept of being a gentleman or a cruel monster, and it is not like Napoleon did not walk the fine line here and there himself. Perhaps the treatment of Prisoners could influence your relationships with other nations akin to the honoring of treaties? I think it poses an opportunity to add a national RPG element to the game, how one runs the affairs or state, which is desperately missing in ETW.

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

I'd love for Prisoners to be back but 1700-1914 wasn't really the time for PoWs in a way thought up in M2TW

I don't care what they did or where they were taken or not, jadeejada, I just want them back.