Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ireland's place.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Ireland's place.

do you think CA will give more attention to Irish units in this game?

I know a very large segment of the British army was irish at this time as well as the french.
    Last edited by EireEmerald; August 23, 2009 at 07:11 AM.

Elyrioth's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Ireland's place.

I imagine that there will be very few regiments named outside of Guards and Special forces equivalents, end of the day a line regiment is a line regiment irrespective of where it is recruited. I imagine that there may be a SF or something but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I would be more interested if Ireland will be imergant surely it will
    Na Géanna Fiáine

Quote Originally Posted by Elyrioth View Post
    I imagine that there will be very few regiments named outside of Guards and Special forces equivalents, end of the day a line regiment is a line regiment irrespective of where it is recruited. I imagine that there may be a SF or something but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I would be more interested if Ireland will be imergant surely it will
    Exactly. It is in the time scope of the rebellions of 1798 and 1848.

The French made two attempts to invade Ireland in 1796 and 1798 and thought Wolfe Tone would be able to raise a general rebellion.The first failed when the French fleet was driven back by the weather and the second was a fiasco.In the game there should be a chance of a French landing in force,at least before the British destroy French naval power.I don't think a rebellion could succeed without French help.

Perhaps it could play into the acheivements list:hmm
    (there was mention of rewards for doind things Boney didnt manage)
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

King Edward III's Avatar Primicerius

The Irish have had plenty of attention already. Just look at the Irish units in the French and Spanish armies.
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

There were still Irish, Swiss and Waloon units in the Spanish army for N:TW

Relic's Avatar Civis

I'm from Northern Ireland, so this would be kinda cool.

But did we have any specialized units back then?
    Last edited by Relic; August 23, 2009 at 08:45 AM.

"Hasta La Victoria Siempre" - Ernesto 'Che' Guevara

Quote Originally Posted by Relic View Post
    I'm from Northern Ireland, so this would be kinda cool.

But did we have an specialized units back then?
    We had a good few, the Connaught Rangers I think were the most famous. I heard somone say once that 2/3s of the British army was irish in Waterloo including Wellington

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Eire_Emerald View Post
    We had a good few, the Connaught Rangers I think were the most famous. I heard somone say once that 2/3s of the British army was irish in Waterloo including Wellington
    Yeah Eire_Emerald Wellington was born in Dublin and most of his army was from Ireland. The Connaught Rangers should be in it and also the Inniskillings. Wellington praised the Inniskillings for saving the center of the British line at Waterloo.

http://www.royalirishrangers.co.uk/ennis.html

Quote Originally Posted by nigelnire View Post
    Yeah Eire_Emerald Wellington was born in Dublin and most of his army was from Ireland. The Connaught Rangers should be in it and also the Inniskillings. Wellington praised the Inniskillings for saving the center of the British line at Waterloo.

http://www.royalirishrangers.co.uk/ennis.html
    brilliant! some relative of mine was in the Connaughts and then went on to take part in the Irish rebellion of 1848
    Last edited by EireEmerald; August 23, 2009 at 07:05 AM.

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

We know these things about the Irish regiments Eire_Emerald but the question is does CA ?

REQUIEM's Avatar Senator

Yer Eire i hope they do inculde irish and also welsh units into the british army!! It is only fair and i'm an englishman. XD

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

as a proud half irish/half scottish, i feel that Empire lacked in the area of Scottish and Irish, because the 18th century was the correct time for the Jacobite rebellions.
    They really should make up for it in Napoleon in my opinion!

I don't want to see development time wasted on creating specialized troops from a country as small and insignificant to the era as Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornLover View Post
    I don't want to see development time wasted on creating specialized troops from a country as small and insignificant to the era as Ireland.
    Despite the fact a very very large proportion of the British army was Irish at this time and throughout the 1800s? On the contrary, I think they should spend time on these units, as well as Welsh and Scottish units.

"it was estimated that by 1860 some two thirds of the British Army including the English country regiments was constituted by Irishmen or their descendants. A Quarter of a million Irishmen would die the 1st World War when the 3 Irish Divisions were created, being the 10th, 16th and 36th Divisions. In the Second World War, the 38th Irish Brigade was formed. Irish Regiments were formed in the Armies of South Africa, Canada and Australia."
    Last edited by EireEmerald; August 23, 2009 at 08:35 AM.

I heard somone say once that 2/3s of the British army was irish in Waterloo including Wellington
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelnire View Post
    Wellington was born in Dublin and most of his army was from Ireland.

Sorry but you are both wrong. The Irish numbers in the British army amounted to about one third, not two thirds and not most. http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/foreigners_British_army.htm
    Irishmen generally made up between 20 % and 40 % of the infantry that Wellington marshaled at Waterloo.
    It should also be pointed out that a) before the repeal of the laws allowing catholics to serve (1793) that this was obviously not the case, which means none of those Irish units in use during the majority of the time period in question!
    b) many of those Irishmen served in English regiments. The Irish regiments were line regiments, there was nothing special about them.
    Last edited by emperorpenguin; August 23, 2009 at 09:10 AM.

Despite the fact a very very large proportion of the British army was Irish at this time and throughout the 1800s? On the contrary, I think they should spend time on these units, as well as Welsh and Scottish units.

"it was estimated that by 1860 some two thirds of the British Army including the English country regiments was constituted by Irishmen or their descendants. A Quarter of a million Irishmen would die the 1st World War when the 3 Irish Divisions were created, being the 10th, 16th and 36th Divisions. In the Second World War, the 38th Irish Brigade was formed. Irish Regiments were formed in the Armies of South Africa, Canada and Australia."
    I'm sorry, but Ireland has never been a major faction in any era, I don't know where you are pulling these facts but they are most certainly false and fabricated by Irish nationalists. The very last nation CA should be paying attention to is Ireland. I understand you want your nation to be represented but it simply didn't do enough to warrant any special attention.

Development of the smaller German factions would be a much better use of CAs time.

Quote Originally Posted by emperorpenguin View Post
    Sorry but you are both wrong. The Irish numbers in the British army amounted to about one third, not two thirds and not most. http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/foreigners_British_army.htm

It should also be pointed out that a) before the repeal of the laws allowing catholics to serve (1791) that this was obviously not the case, which means none of those Irish units in use during the majority of the time period in question!
    b) many of those Irishmen served in English regiments. The Irish regiments were line regiments, there was nothing special about them.
    Many of Wellington's British troops were Irish, the 1st Battalion, The 27th (Inniskilling) Regiment of Foot, the oldest antecedent Regiment of today's Royal Irish Regiment, was amongst those who fought with great distinction at Waterloo, and the Regiments losses were amongst the heaviest in the Allied force. By the end of the day, of the fifteen officers present, fourteen had become casualties and no less than 478 men out of a strength of 698, had been killed or wounded. But the 1st/27th yielded not an inch.

Because of the courage of its officers and men, the Inniskillings earned the praise of the Iron Duke,
    "They saved the centre of my line,"
    Proclaimed Wellington.
    A French general later commented that he had,
    "Never seen bravery to equal the stubborn bravery of the Regiment with castles"
    The Iniskillings cap badge was a castle

Last edited by EireEmerald; August 23, 2009 at 09:17 AM.

Sorry Eire_Emerald but if there is a point to that post (none of which is incorrect) I fail to see it....

Are you trying to dispute my post?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast