View Poll Results: Should we add RTW 1.5 support in DTW v1.07?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oh, yes please! I'm so desperate for it!

6 37.50%
  • Oh my? What's 1.5?

2 12.50%
  • Don't bother, really, it's a waste of time.

8 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diadochi TW - RTW 1.5 support?

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Default Diadochi TW - RTW 1.5 support?

It has come to my attention that a small number of people don't have BI or ALX, but would still like to try out the mod.

Adding RTW compatibility in itself isn't very complicated, but it will somewhat increase the workload / testing slightly. That doesn't mean it'll slow down the release of a patch; it means I won't bother testing on RTW and it probably won't be stable at all, resulting in frequent crashes.

All in all though, at least you can somewhat play it with only RTW 1.5. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Default Re: Diadochi TW - RTW 1.5 support?

Making a downgraded version of Diadochi wouldn't allow users to enjoy the full potential of it. Plus, most of us would like to see a patch for the BI or ALX versions.

Besides BI and ALX are very very cheap. If you made the effort of trying to get this mod, why not bother and make the effort of buying the expansion. There are still many copies of RTW Gold, online and offline (very cheap too).

5 bucks and probably 2 hours finding it (going to the shops, or ordering it (in that case several days)). Plus, by getting BI and ALX, you can enjoy the features and content that CA has published and also try out many other mods only compatible with BI and ALX.

Why should RedFox spend his/her time making a compatible version for 1.5, when you can't spend your own time and dedication buying BI (if you didnt have BI)? It would save him a lot of time, besides he's doing this for free anyways.

IMO, i wouldn't like a 1.5 version of diadochi. Bring a patch to improve the already epic Diadochi 1.6/1.9...
    Last edited by Pelopidas_Of_Thebes; August 22, 2009 at 10:41 PM.

considering i have RTW and BI I am not in the mood to buy my games over again. is their anyway to get ALX without having to buy the other games over again? I dont believe i have seen a alone copy of ALX

Watch some of me replays for RTW http://www.youtube.com/user/TeutonicJoe

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Joe View Post
    considering i have RTW and BI I am not in the mood to buy my games over again. is their anyway to get ALX without having to buy the other games over again? I dont believe i have seen a alone copy of ALX
    You can get a stand alone copy of Alexander on Steam for 9.99 US$. (Price may be higher depending on region)

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

ALX is faaar better than BI, I suggest everyone to get a copy of it!
    Last edited by Spartan 666; August 23, 2009 at 12:20 PM.

I voted yes for those people that dose'nt have either ALX or BI, I have them both, but it's not cool that some want the game, but cant play it.
    Big "Diadochi:Total War" fan! Click HERE to download the full game, and the latest patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos_Ruler View Post
    "Lesbians" are people from Lesbos. The reason we call homosexual women "lesbians" today was because of the famous poet Sapho from Lesbos who extolled the virtues of female love. Just some FYI.

It took me about 2 hours to modify the installer script to copy and edit barbarian_invasion files to turn them into imperial_campaign - RTW compatible files. Then it simply disables ALX / BI campaigns and places a shortcut on the desktop.

I also added different checks to make sure your RTW / BI versions and installation directories are correct.

Since the process is completely automated, it won't occupy any more of my time. The downside of course is that I can't guarantee its stability. It won't make a difference to those who have ALX or BI, the patch will install like it should.

The question now is, should we bother making sure this is completely compatible and stable? To be honest, that is the main issue. If it turns out that the RTW 1.5 version will require more compatibility fixes, then its usefulness will become questionable.

Just make it playable, dont bother if its stable. If someone wants to make it stabke for RTW 1.5, then they can. Focus this mod on ALX and on ALX alone
    Big "Diadochi:Total War" fan! Click HERE to download the full game, and the latest patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos_Ruler View Post
    "Lesbians" are people from Lesbos. The reason we call homosexual women "lesbians" today was because of the famous poet Sapho from Lesbos who extolled the virtues of female love. Just some FYI.

RedFox, if you'll make it run smoothly on BI.exe, this will do the trick for those few who do not have Alexander

Well since I am an inconsiderate person I voted no, but that's because I have all the RTWs. However if people cannot get BI or ALX and converting DTW so it can play on 1.5 is easy enough you should. A very nice gesture indeed and thus extends the DTW outreach.

The problem with BI is that it's just unstable. No matter what you do, it crashes. The mod is rock-solid on ALX. There probably won't be a non-crashing BI version, ever.

Would a 1.5 version be more stable than BI do you think? Yeah since I've used ALX I haven't had one single crash *tempts fate*. Worth the buy imo.

I don't think a RTW version would be more stable than BI...

Civis

why not?

because BI is newer than 1.5...I can't say that for sure since I used the BI exe really a few times...

Keep working on both BI and ALX. Both have ups and downs, so I think it'll be nice to have future releases based on both, with equal content.

BI is ok for me, when I play, crashed only once.

The problem with ALX, for me, is that the camera in ALX is up. I think Spartan knows what I mean, he has the same ALX camera problem as me. Plus shield wall makes hoplites feel like real hoplites. But hoplites shouldn't exist in the time period anyways, so meh.
    Last edited by Pelopidas_Of_Thebes; August 26, 2009 at 01:51 AM.

Yes Pelopidas, I have the same problem. The only way I found to get around it is to use TW camera instead of RTS camera..

The problem where it won't zoom to a unit you have double clicked on?

Try installing the latest .Net framework?

Exactly that problem, Cal20...do you know how to fix it?

@RedFox: I have all the latest updates for my awful Vista, so I guess also the .Net Framework..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast