View Poll Results: Should Spain be playable in NTW?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

140 86.96%
  • NO!

21 13.04%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spain: Playable or Not?

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default Spain: Playable or Not?

Spain's strength is debabatle in N:TW, if it will be strong enough and important enough for playabillity.
    What do you think?

Magno's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Spain: Playable or Not?

Even though in reality they really didn't do much against Napoleon they did fight but made the mistake of letting Napoleon march through Spain to get to Portugal and later get double crossed by Napoleon.
    No heroes, no villains, only conflicting perspectives with regards to a specific object.

Elyrioth's Avatar Senator

Kind of a stupid question at this point. It depends on the number of playable factions. 7 or 8 then yes certainly, 5 or less then absolutely not. The must haves France, GB, Prussia, Russia, Austria. After that not too pushed. But if its only 5 then the slots will be gone with the main choice. So we need to know how many factions will be playable first.
    Na Géanna Fiáine

Sweden should be in as they also fought
    Signature Removed - Read this.

-TWC moderation Staff

I don't think the question is stupid at all. It would be silly to only have five playable factions in a TW game, so Spain should be in, as should every other nation in the region who might have had a chance.

(HG-F)Ipod's Avatar Tiro

Spain was a hard problem to Napo, and Spain was a big country yet. And was the unique who can atack France in the South...so, if you want variety, you must play with Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by Elyrioth View Post
    Kind of a stupid question at this point. It depends on the number of playable factions. 7 or 8 then yes certainly, 5 or less then absolutely not. The must haves France, GB, Prussia, Russia, Austria. After that not too pushed. But if its only 5 then the slots will be gone with the main choice. So we need to know how many factions will be playable first.
    Exactly.

Spain was very important in the Nap.wars, not because they could attack France directly but because of the huge numbers the French had to deploy there to try to supress the war of liberation.Also Spain was the one place the British and Portuguese could attack towards France. Spain and Portugal were easily supplied by sea .Although the Spanish lost a lot more battles than they won, they never gave up and were one of the main reasons for Napoleon's defeat as he had to divert so many troops there.It wasn't called the 'Spanish Ulcer' for nothing.
    Last edited by Jihada; August 22, 2009 at 01:22 PM.

Why have an unplayable faction at all as long as one swhich aren't as important don't have a full roster and others do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jihada View Post
    Spain was very important in the Nap.wars, not because they could attack France directly but because of the huge numbers the French had to deploy there to try to supress the war of liberation.Also Spain was the one place the British and Portuguese could attack towards France. Spain and Portugal were easily supplied by sea .Although the Spanish lost a lot more battles than they won, they never gave up and were one of the main reasons for Napoleon's defeat as he had to divert so many troops there.It wasn't called the 'Spanish Ulcer' for nothing.
    However, the Spanish state, in itself, couldn't do much. Napoleon's troubles in Spain were less to do with any Spanish political/military/economic strength and more to do with the inherent difficulties of pacifying a large, territorially difficult area with a hostile population.

Saying Spain was powerful because of Napoleon's difficulties there is like saying Afghanistan is a powerful state because Soviet forces were weakened by the fighting there, or that American casualties in Vietnam make it a major power.

The events on the Peninsula were important, but Spain itself, as a political entity, was definitely a second rate power with little international influence.

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

Spain should be in the game, it's where the French were bleed dry. It was like Napoleon's Vietnam *in reference to the US War in Vietnam* it bleed the French army dry with so many years of gurella war.

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
    -- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Deathofjams View Post
    The events on the Peninsula were important, but Spain itself, as a political entity, was definitely a second rate power with little international influence.
    We say so because we judge with hinsight. With a grand campaign starting in the late XVIII century, there was no reason why Spain should have gone through the fate it did. Up until late Spain was France´s ally (Trafalgar anyone?) and Spain had troops in Danemark stationed when war really broke out between both. Spain´s military sucked big time but was not really much worse than other central european outdated systems. Spain could have moved along as France´s ally or could have broken relations earlier and had a real army when France moved in.
    Spain had the misfortune of a decadent and cowardly Monarchy. When the war broke out the Spanish Royalty was tucked away in Bordeaux. Both King and son were all to eager to please Bonaparte signing anything the man showed them and appaluding when the Emperor won some victory in Europe. Spain rose without a head and with a scattered army. All this need not be with a competent leader (you) at the helm.

Spain as a player was important enough in napoleonic european matters. Like saying that we should not have Prussia because they laid low also for quite some time after making peace. Without the Russian fiasco Prussia would not have dared to rise again.

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

Ideally yes I would like Spain, Sweden, and the Ottomans to be playable but like Elyrioth said, it depends. If CA includes more than the five major powers then sure. I think there is a fair chance that Spain will be included. I doubt whether Sweden or the Ottomans will be playable.

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

True, Spain wasnt a political power in those times, but it still was a military power to take into account, it had a big army (poorly equiped, but allways ready for battle) and one of the strongest navies (until Trafalgar), moreover the first defeat of an Imperal army was against a Spanish army at the battle of Bailén, so yes, Spain was one of the main reasons of Napoleon's defeat and so, it should be playable.

Yes. I'm rather disappointed there isn't a Peninsular Campaign as part of the three 'focused' ones (Italy, Egypt or Austria, and Russia). With all the guerilla affairs it'd be perfect.

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

I actually think the Gureilla aspect of how average Spainards fended off the French is the main reason why Spain gets so many irruglar style light infantry, even their rifles are not well dressed uniformed/elite riflemen. They also get Gureillas which I find pretty darn useful since you can buy them at 1700, much better than the Native Americans with Muskets they are.

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
    -- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)

Zhangir's Avatar Senator

What kind of question is that?
    The more playable nations the more the fun! Come on!
    The Help of God, The Love of the People, The Strength of Denmark - Proud To See The Red Knight make this AAR Truly Epic!
    Sacrum Romanum Imperium Nationis Germanicć
    Royaume de France

My avatar is not there because of my religion, but because it looks like the first and last letters of my name put together in my Language (I do know what it means)

Should be an unlockable option

Darkpriest667's Avatar Campidoctor

how could spain not be playable they were a major factor in the napoleonic wars
    In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k @ stock
    CPU HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212+
    MOBO:ASrock Fatal1ty p67 professional series
    RAM: Gskill 16380MB @ 1600mhz
    GPU: XFX 6970 2048MB
    PSU: Corsair TX850M
    CASE: Coolermaster HAF 932
    HDD: 2 x Samsung F3 spinpoint 1TB each
    ODD: Asus DVD Burner 22x

Quote Originally Posted by miniwally View Post
    Should be an unlockable option
    Yeah, I appreciated M2's "beat campaign, get to play as everyone but the hordes" system. Perhaps a "destroy faction in GC to unlock" would be better though. Force you to destroy the minor factions that you love.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast