Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What were the biggest empires in the world?

Final Frontier's Avatar Just roaming around

Default What were the biggest empires in the world?

(Topic title)
    Last edited by Final Frontier; July 12, 2005 at 06:52 PM.

Happiness is a warm gun... | "Only a life lived for others is worthwhile." -Albert Einstein
    Bang bang, shoot shoot...19| Under the patronage of therussian
    | "I couldn't resist."

Persian Empire, Alexanders Empire, Roman Empire, Egyptian Empire(?), Aztec (?), Inca(?)

Perhaps, the question should be which one was the greatest... just a suggestion... might be more interesting.

Hey, I know is off topic, but what is the meaning of your signature, quote; "Lo siento, pero, ¡Qué lástima! "

I know what it means, which is, "I'm sorry, but, too bad!" or something like that, but why are you saying that?
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

turcopolier's Avatar Littorio fanboy

The British and the Mongol if you're asking for the biggest.
    Under the guiding light of MoROmeTe

"Love is like a vampire, mysterious and immortal, yet cold and ruthless, hunting you forever, draining you empty of all life and leaving you like a shell in the darkness..."

"Only fools learn from their mistakes. A wise man learns from others..."

"Guarding the bigger brother through the hornest's nest..."

Yes, greatest does seem more interesting. But I just wanted to know biggest.

Happiness is a warm gun... | "Only a life lived for others is worthwhile." -Albert Einstein
    | "I couldn't resist."

The British? It, surely, could not be bigger then Alexanders no? I mean, I only know they had India, and some African colonies, yes, that is the key here; they were colonies, they were not exactly part of the Empire but rather paid taxes and were ruled but they were not citizens...

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

Russian empire
    Manstein16 This is especially for you and your bill.

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

I'd say the Biritish empire, not only because i'm british but because.. the sun never set on it for crying out loud! Also, pirates of the Caribbean was pretty funny, see how fun loving those redcoats were? thread over

some one above compared to alexanders, british empire as far as i know had.. India, parts of africa, australia, canada, north america?

/joking

Maximus I, the Russian, perhaps, was the biggest, but was it the greatest? I mean, I bet probably lots of land which was empty or rather said, not civilized which doesn't make it great.

Now that it has been changed to the greatest, well, maybe the Roman Empire because of the technology advances?

The Seleucid Empire, did you see my question when I edited my first post?

Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus The Inane
    Persian Empire, Alexanders Empire, Roman Empire, Egyptian Empire(?), Aztec (?), Inca(?)

Perhaps, the question should be which one was the greatest... just a suggestion... might be more interesting.

Hey, I know is off topic, but what is the meaning of your signature, quote; "Lo siento, pero, ¡Qué lástima! "

I know what it means, which is, "I'm sorry, but, too bad!" or something like that, but why are you saying that?
    Yes. Perfecto.

| "I couldn't resist."

Ah sorry bfor the double post. I changed it to greatest but had second thoughts. It will remain biggest. Sorry. And I put that as my sig...just because I felt like it. I don't use it for any replies, though.

| "I couldn't resist."

Yes. Perfecto.
    You did not explain it to me very well...

EDIT; OK fair enough

Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus The Inane
    Maximus I, the Russian, perhaps, was the biggest, but was it the greatest? I mean, I bet probably lots of land which was empty or rather said, not civilized which doesn't make it great.

Now that it has been changed to the greatest, well, maybe the Roman Empire because of the technology advances?

The Seleucid Empire, did you see my question when I edited my first post?
    yah but do you think alexanders or perhaps british coloniew were all populated?There were alot of empty territories.Also the russian siberia is maybe not that populated but this region in the richest of natural minerals such as gold and diamond.The russian empire was great before the communists came and spent it like jackals.

turcopolier's Avatar Littorio fanboy

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mpire_1897.jpg

Off course you can argue about the colony and protectorate issue, but most empires actually didn´t control most of their realm directly, but rather had "very close allies" so to say.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dominions1.jpg
    Under the guiding light of MoROmeTe

"Love is like a vampire, mysterious and immortal, yet cold and ruthless, hunting you forever, draining you empty of all life and leaving you like a shell in the darkness..."

"Only fools learn from their mistakes. A wise man learns from others..."

"Guarding the bigger brother through the hornest's nest..."

The Mongol empire is the largest land empire. Alexander's empire is a joke compared to it, it's about three times bigger than his. But the British beat the Mongols out for the biggest empire ever though.

Quote Originally Posted by subedei the great
    The Mongol empire is the largest land empire. Alexander's empire is a joke compared to it, it's about three times bigger than his. But the British beat the Mongols out for the biggest empire ever though.
    maybe
    here's aphoto of russian empire( don't know what is africa doing in it ) probably or allies and conquered therritorieshttp://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...3Doff%26sa%3DN
    Last edited by Maximus I; July 12, 2005 at 07:16 PM.

Zuwxiv's Avatar Bear Claus

Remember not all maps are correct. Because the Earth is a sphere, its just impossible to map it into a rectangle. Most maps will have Greenland depicted as huge... its actually about the size of Mexico.

Currently worshipping Necrobrit *********** Thought is Quick
    I'm back for the TWCrack

Senator

Mongols actually had the largest CONTIGUOUS land empire, british had the largest land area.

{nF}remix's Avatar Wii will change gaming

The Russians conquered china?

The Soviets NEVER conquered China.... so I'm guessing the yellow part is other communist countries (in the case of China) and puppets of the Soviet Union (Eastern Europe).

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

The Ottoman Empire was also very vast. Maybe not in the 19th century but before. It's incredible how one huge war could destroy an Empire like that.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast