Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Napoleonic war paintings!

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Default Re: Napoleonic war paintings!

Yeah i know,its disgusting how some locals behave imho,but its their land apperently
    And those same locals also plundered and finished off many wounded soldiers still laying on the fields after the battle !French and Allied alike

But overall theres surely a lot of efforts being made,at present and in the past,to preserve and exhibit one of the most important Battlefields in World history
    http://www.culturespaces-minisite.co...1gb/index.html

for more screens ;scroll the pictures on this forum ;
    http://forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/vi...c.php?p=251837

Cheers
    Last edited by MorganH.; October 12, 2009 at 04:44 PM.

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

Sometimes there are simply not enough funds to restore and museumize a building. Although the battle field is certainly famous maybe it does not bring enough visitors on a day to day basis to make it worthwhile pouring much cash into the building. Local and national goverment might not be interested in spending money there either. Not having the place staffed would mean that perhaps looters, souvenir hunters and alike have more than once and twice actually entered the building withiout permision and damaged it.

I understand the outrage from the occasional history buff visitor but normally there is more to it.
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

Excellent collection of Napoleonic arts. I just noticed that most of these pieces have a slightly blurry texture, which I think further gave depth to these paintings. Thanks for sharing ya'll.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebusitanus View Post
    When Wellignton first came into Madrid he had occasion of having himself make a portrait by reknown Court painter Goya. Apparently Arthur was not to thrilled by the despiction made and foul words were exchanged and a duel averted in extremis. Goya was known for his uncompromising portrayal of his objects. He got into similar trouble for unfavourably despicting the Queen Mother and several incestuos-by-product family royal members.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    John Cleese!
    Ceci est une signature

Incredible piece! It's about the the French Empire - Revolution, very historical painting to all of us and very realistic.

Cheer up!

Incredible piece! It's about the the French Empire - Revolution, very historical painting to all of us and very realistic.

Cheer up!

Quote Originally Posted by Δράκων View Post
    John Cleese!
    Is it me or does he have a serious comb-over in that portrait.

Landshut, April 1809

Several paintings by Louis-François, Baron Lejeune (some of them in high resolution):
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca..._Baron_Lejeune

Interesting guy, as he also fought himself in some of these battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    I thought they were turning Waterloo into a battlefield theme park, I'm sure that was the last plan I heard anyway. I know a bunch of British investors tried to buy it off them at the time to stop it happening.

The most upsetting thing I saw when I visited Waterloo was the farm of La Haye Sainte. It was literally the centre piece of the battlefield, and yet the idiot who owned it had not only failed to expliot its unique position and history, but had literally boarded it up and denied everyone in the world the chance to look round it. The logic of that is just impossible to comprehend, even for a Belgian, and if I had had the money I would have bought the damned place off him. I would gladly have paid £5 to look round that farm, I'd come all the way from England to see it, but instead of making a fortune from his possession, he was literally letting to decay and fall into ruin.
    Beleave me Mate, every re-enactor feels like that. La haye sainte has barely been changed and it's not only the perfect place for a museum but also for re-enactings.
    Hougemont is, thank god, being restored. Of well, beter said, they try to not demolish it more

I wish by got I had the money to help them. Maybe try to write a book

Yeah... I'm gonna bring this thread back to life. I was going to post this topic but I see it already has been.

Post your favorite Napoleonic (era) War Paintings!

"Those are regulars, by God!"
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Battle of Chippawa, 5th June 1814, Upper Canada.

US Brigadier General Winfield Scott leads grey coated US Regulars.
    Last edited by WarOfAges1776; December 29, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234