Thread: Fixed/Replaced Hats & Headwear mod

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Fixed/Replaced Hats & Headwear mod

A great piece of work by Ahiga and Knight Errant: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288333

It will work with TROM, except for the Militia and Provincial Cavalry models (they conflict with Spanky's Militiamod that we are using)
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Default Re: Fixed/Replaced Hats & Headwear mod

Quote Originally Posted by Johan217 View Post
    A great piece of work by Ahiga and Knight Errant: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288333

It will work with TROM, except for the Militia and Provincial Cavalry models (they conflict with Spanky's Militiamod that we are using)
    Yes - it messes those skins up - they look like middle-earth characters... which is why I cannot use the mod as I make extensive use of militia. A dashed shame, what?

I'll work out a way to include it in TROM... either by leaving out the Militia/Provincial Cavalry models from this mod or by removing the Militia Mod.

It's great that some of the more nonsensical headwear sported by certain units is being revised, but my only concern here is that the more units get edited, the more 3rd party skin-packs will become difficult to use with TROM.

Right now it's no big deal other than manually removing elements of skin packs that deal with militia units but I am slightly worried that this sort of thing is going to make it harder to see reasonable compatibility in future.
    Unless of course I have the wrong idea, but doesn't changing the hat a model is wearing screw up a skin that was designed for the vanilla model with the original hat ?

At any rate though, I think this is generally a good thing. I'd love to see British grenadiers with cloth mitre caps.

Most skins will not be affected at all. The textures already allow for different sets of headgear, trousers, tunics, etc. It's just that the CA models often only use one type. So most skins for the (default) Militia model should work fine with the tricornes.

Most skins will not be affected at all. The textures already allow for different sets of headgear, trousers, tunics, etc. It's just that the CA models often only use one type. So most skins for the (default) Militia model should work fine with the tricornes.

Ah, then that is v.good news.

It works fine with TROM providing mod manager is used and trom part 2 is placed higher up in the load order. Doing this the militia and provincial horse regiments look absolutely fine. Although of course you don't get the actual militia skins but the militia mod skins instead, as you pointed out, but that seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

Unless you actually want to bring the original militia skins back that is ?

Tired of TWC Arrogance

I'll work out a way to include it in TROM... either by leaving out the Militia/Provincial Cavalry models from this mod or by removing the Militia Mod.
    Oh, I hope you'e not going to remove the militia skins which I think are so much better than the vanilla - can't we find a way to keep them?

Quote Originally Posted by Pdguru View Post
    Oh, I hope you'e not going to remove the militia skins which I think are so much better than the vanilla - can't we find a way to keep them?
    I haven't decided yet. Personally I would prefer to use the original Militia model with their new tricornes, because the model we use now is the regular Line Infantry model, and I like a bit of variety. And by recolouring the textures we can still make them look as good.

I can't offer percise advice as I'm working from a laptop without ETW, but:

You can rename the database ID of Spanky's Militia (which means it can identify a unit using 'rights_militia' and give them the proper model and textures, and a unit using the militia database id uses my re-hatted guys). Variety is a spice of life and I'm almost never against having more of it in units in ETW especially with CA"s blunder of clone hats.

This way you could use the original militia for guys like Minutemen, Guerillas, Colonial militia and so on and Spanky's would be used for European Militia. Conversely maybe you use the original militia models for European ones and Colonial Line infantry use Spanky's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    You can rename the database ID of Spanky's Militia (which means it can identify a unit using 'rights_militia' and give them the proper model and textures, and a unit using the militia database id uses my re-hatted guys). Variety is a spice of life and I'm almost never against having more of it in units in ETW especially with CA"s blunder of clone hats.
    We're already doing that, to some extent: for Colonial Militia we use the "floppy hat" model from the RTI campaigns... Perhaps not really accurate, but I figured anything was better than those berets

In any case, your mod gives us an "extra" model to play with, so this is very welcome

I've recently fought a few campaigns and it seems that I get a problem every time I go to war. Essentially what happens is some country declares war on me. I fight back and usually end up taking a province or two. I try to sue for peace, and even offer the provinces I have taken, along with other incentives such as money, technology, military access, etc. and they reject my offers flatly every time. I'm not sure if this is just this mod, or ETW, but it makes the game a little unrealistic when they won't try to negotiate with me and they are on the verge of complete annihilation.

Serenissima's Avatar Tiro

It's ETW that's the problem there. Wrong thread, though. You want http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=284350
    Most Serene.