Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Histwar; for those looking for something realistic

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Histwar; for those looking for something realistic

Looks interesting. I'm not concerned about the graphics per-se, but I simply wont be interested if it's a clunky interface mess - which too many wargames are. If it can combine depth with Total War levels of accessibility count me in
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Darsh's Avatar Maréchal de l'Empire

We need a real wargame with an historical accuracy, I can't wait les grognards.
    Last edited by Darsh; August 21, 2009 at 12:45 PM.

Légion étrangère : « Honneur et Fidélité »

Quote Originally Posted by Stalins Ghost View Post
    Looks interesting. I'm not concerned about the graphics per-se, but I simply wont be interested if it's a clunky interface mess - which too many wargames are. If it can combine depth with Total War levels of accessibility count me in
    something tells me it wont be nearly as accessible as total war =( but we can dream

I really like how the regiments of line have mounted officers with them
    Signature Removed - Read this.

-TWC moderation Staff

Quote Originally Posted by lordhedgwich View Post
    something tells me it wont be nearly as accessible as total war
    I hope that it is not as accessible. It means the focus is on gameplay, functionality and realism over anything else.

For those people who want gameplay, functionality and realism they can play Histwar.

For those people who want a graphics based, low depth, limited functionality, less realistic and very acccessible game there will be N:TW.

Neither is wrong nor right, merely different; and the segment of the community who have been calling for more realism, functionality and gameplay will now have a game to play that meets their "fun" requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Mowers View Post
    I hope that it is not as accessible. It means the focus is on gameplay, functionality and realism over anything else.

For those people who want gameplay, functionality and realism they can play Histwar.

For those people who want a graphics based, low depth, limited functionality, less realistic and very acccessible game there will be N:TW.

Neither is wrong nor right, merely different; and the segment of the community who have been calling for more realism, functionality and gameplay will now have a game to play that meets their "fun" requirements.
    Expalin why a game can't be accesible and realalistic at the same time?

-TWC moderation Staff

Quote Originally Posted by lordhedgwich View Post
    Expalin why a game can't be accesible and realalistic at the same time?
    More features, details, complex gameplay and depth means the game will invariably be less accessible.

Not only because of the sheer amount of information but because the amount of resources total available to make the game accessible will be relatively lower.

The Histwar team are developing a game that adults and older teenagers with patience and a strong historical interest can pick and up play, so their focus does not have to be on accessibility.

CA focus is on developing games for children and young teenagers, and adults who do not have patience or strong historical interest. Thus the focus has to be on accessibility with an emphasis on the lowest common denominator to make game sales.

In an ideal world you could have both, but there are a limited amount of resources to all companies.

i'm waiting for this game since more than two years,i just hope that they will release it before december 2009

More features, details, complex gameplay and depth means the game will invariably be less accessible.

Not only because of the sheer amount of information but because the amount of resources total available to make the game accessible will be relatively lower.

The Histwar team are developing a game that adults and older teenagers with patience and a strong historical interest can pick and up play, so their focus does not have to be on accessibility.

CA focus is on developing games for children and young teenagers, and adults who do not have patience or strong historical interest. Thus the focus has to be on accessibility with an emphasis on the lowest common denominator to make game sales.

In an ideal world you could have both, but there are a limited amount of resources to all companies.
    I really don't agree with you at all lol I have never seen "children play a total war game.... Nor do i think they could handle it. I fall under the catagory Of young adult with a strong historical interest, and i like total war games because they have a great modding community (which make the game more historicaly accurate) also the game is unlike any other i have played plus it is easy to use. Now this histwar game looks fun imo and the graphics are great... but i just don't want it to be a mess is all and overly complicated

-TWC moderation Staff

Frederich Barbarossa's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Edinburgh, Scotland (From Kendall, Florida and proud!)

Seems to be worthwhiled. Thanks for this!
    His highness, þeþurn I, Keng of Savomyr!

Darsh's Avatar Maréchal de l'Empire

The official web site:
    http://www.histwar.fr/

Légion étrangère : « Honneur et Fidélité »

This does look interesting and I read some of the site.I don't see any mention of naval warfare or Spain ,GB,Portugal.Is this just concentrating on areas east of France ?A Napoleonic game without GB, but I havn't read everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jihada View Post
    This does look interesting and I read some of the site.I don't see any mention of naval warfare or Spain ,GB,Portugal.Is this just concentrating on areas east of France ?A Napoleonic game without GB, but I havn't read everything.
    No there is no GB or spain nor naval warfare but Spain GB and portugal will be added sometime after release

-TWC moderation Staff

My god, this game looks awful!!! Please cease your blatant advertising of this inferior product.

I'll stick with total war thank you very much.

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

I'll have to say I disagree there. Complexity can be handled with accessibility - it takes more work, since you have to spend more time streamlining detail in interface terms, but ultimately, more features does not necessarily mean for interface bloat, or take away from the ability to make things easy to pick up.

I don't agree with your demographic analysis either. If I was to psychoanalyze myself, I am a Young Adult (21) with patience, and a highly educated (1st class degree) interest in history. I've been playing games since age 5, and I honestly do not think there's any excuse for not investing in the resources to make a game easy to play. I would still far rather play Empire, with all its historical deficiencies and dubious (though improved) AI than put up with a game that could out-think Jose Raul Capablanca and put Alessandro Barbero's knowledge of Waterloo to shame but not understand the fundamental need for games to be playable, accessible and entertaining.

Chess is regarded internationally for its intelligence quota. But you could teach anyone to play in a matter of minutes.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornLover View Post
    My god, this game looks awful!!! Please cease your blatant advertising of this inferior product.

I'll stick with total war thank you very much.
    Wrong, the graphics could seems awfull to you, but the game looks great...

Quote Originally Posted by Naimad View Post
    Wrong, the graphics could seems awfull to you, but the game looks great...
    You can't make that assumption, the game looks like absolute garbage, ugly interface, even uglier graphics.

That's all we can tell from screenshots, I know presentation isn't everything, but this looks like it should have been released in 2003.

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

You can't make that assumption, the game looks like absolute garbage, ugly interface, even uglier graphics.

That's all we can tell from screenshots, I know presentation isn't everything, but this looks like it should have been released in 2003.
    Uhm.. I can, looking at the features, if it does half it says it does it will do more than twice ETW does right now.

And you shouldn't care that much about graphics, they are quite fine taking into account the magnitude of the battles and the size of the map.

Look man, this game just isn't up to the total war standard, the models look fairly accurate, but the graphics turn them into crap.

It says that 50,000 men will represent 500,000, so much for accuracy, poor show.

Ziem's Avatar Civis

Love this game. Been following it from the beginning. Has been under development for quite some years now. However from what I understand it's only going to be battles. No campaign mode. Unfortunately, because I love to rewrite history.. But that's the choice the dude made. I'll still buy it and I'll also buy NTW. What's 50 Euros? Half a dinner with the Mrs. Half an evening boozing with me mates... I've spend in my life a lot worse... And still do....

Z.
    Last edited by Ziem; August 21, 2009 at 07:22 PM.

Look man, this game just isn't up to the total war standard, the models look fairly accurate, but the graphics turn them into crap.

It says that 50,000 men will represent 500,000, so much for accuracy, poor show.
    There's nothing wrong with that.Napoleonic miniatures wargamers are used to representing a battalion with say 25 men and it looks ok.
    I assume this game will be played in individual campaign stages,Austerlitz,Jena,Eylau etc.The Ageods game did this for the Nap. wars and personally I didn't like it.Their ACW game covered the whole war and was much better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast