View Poll Results: Will/Should the USA be Playable in NTW?

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think the USA will be/Should be in NTW

99 39.76%
  • No, I don't think the USA will be/Should be in NTW

150 60.24%
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Thinks the USA will/should be Playable in N:TW?

Default Who Thinks the USA will/should be Playable in N:TW?

I for one, loved to play as the USA in ETW. When I heard that NTW would be 3 seperate campaigns focusing on France I became a litlle worried about if the USA would be playable in NTW. What do you guys think, will it be included, or not?
    "Aye Sir?" - Stronghold
    EVGA GTX 295
    i7 920
    6 GB DDR3 @1600
    HAF 932 Full Gaming Tower Case
    1.5 TB HD W/ 7200 rpm

I never beg for ReP... I just ask for it
    ----------------------------------

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Who Thinks the USA will/should be Playable in N:TW?

I sure hope so

Gunodd's Avatar Semisalis

Either way is fine with me, but the more the merrier, so I guess so.

I dont see why, since it didnt do anything majorly important to Napoleon.
    But im sure it will be

Didn't the USA do the Louisiana Purchase with Napoleon?
    "Aye Sir?" - Stronghold
    EVGA GTX 295
    i7 920
    6 GB DDR3 @1600
    HAF 932 Full Gaming Tower Case
    1.5 TB HD W/ 7200 rpm

I never beg for ReP... I just ask for it
    ----------------------------------

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

Yes the Louisiana Purchase was very important because it helped fund Napolean's European campaign. At this time, fighting still occurred all over the world, just like in Empire

Better be. It better include ALL of north America (To california) at least, and it better include the US mexican war.

Also, ALL of asia and africa would be awesome

I personally do not see any need for them to be there, the Louisiana purchase was a land and financial transaction, there was no international military strife concerning this area at this time. Although America itself may have been battling the opponents of the sale in small skirmishes / militia action and other territorial disputes they done absolutely bugger all in regards to the Napoleonic war raging on the European continent, North Africa or the India expansions.

So I definately don't want to see them, however I do expect them to be present as having them present opens up the target audience and therefore increase the sales potential of the game. As can be seen here there are those who would feel let down if America were not present, even though they had no role in the Napoleonic war bar being the financial beneficiaries of Bonaparte's regime, as such there is likely to be a US faction to appeal to this, although completely historically null, demand.
    V
    General Valantine of Bossumton
    Lord Lieutenant of the Cinque Ports
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
    I personally do not see any need for them to be there, the Louisiana purchase was a land and financial transaction, there was no international military strife concerning this area at this time. Although America itself may have been battling the opponents of the sale in small skirmishes / militia action and other territorial disputes they done absolutely bugger all in regards to the Napoleonic war raging on the European continent, North Africa or the India expansions.

So I definately don't want to see them, however I do expect them to be present as having them present opens up the target audience and therefore increase the sales potential of the game. As can be seen here there are those who would feel let down if America were not present, even though they had no role in the Napoleonic war bar being the financial beneficiaries of Bonaparte's regime, as such there is likely to be a US faction to appeal to this, although completely historically null, demand.
    V
    err the War of 1812??
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by touchmaster View Post
    Better be. It better include ALL of north America (To california) at least, and it better include the US mexican war.

Also, ALL of asia and africa would be awesome

Hum, US - Mexican war was from April 1846 to February 1848 whilst the Napoleonic war was from May 1803 to June 1815. I really can't see that war being present, unless of course this pack expands upon the current Grand Campaign of ETW and extends it past the next addition's namesake "Napoleon Total War" to the Crimean War and beyond.

Be interesting to see what they do with it all, ETW and NTW certainly have less years available to it as an idea than MTW2 or RTW, not good for those of us who enjoy a long grand campaign!

Back to the US faction - IF the remit of the game is to expand well past the Napoleonic wars and into the late 19th century then the US woudl certainly have a place in the game as towards the middle of the 19th century it started becoming a relevant power, however if the game goes by its remit of being Napoleon Total War, then I do believe it should not be present as outlined in my previous post.
    V
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Twin View Post
    err the War of 1812??
    I'm not an American so am not fully versed in your history however it is true the war of 1812 is there to be considered, but from what I know about it the war on land is generally coloured by large periods of stalemate and inaction on the most part, militia and native warfare seems to have been the most active part of that conflict, alongside naval single ship actions. So it does open up a little bit of an opening for the US to be a faction, I personally feel that NTW should focus on the European and Indian elements considering the majority of the games remit is on Napoleonic warfare and not north american militia actions.

But to each their own, all I hope is that they don;t make a royal cock up of this one as they ahve done with ETW so far
    V
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

They should be really, at least for the Grand Campaign section of it. I'm sure there's a lot of people who'll want to make the war of 1812 a little more decisive
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stalins Ghost View Post
    They should be really, at least for the Grand Campaign section of it. I'm sure there's a lot of people who'll want to make the war of 1812 a little more decisive
    Or just to have the chance to burn Washington down again!

Im with Valantine on this one. This is not US:TW; most of the action at this time was in Europe and India and that would be much more fun than some obscure little war in louisiana in 1812
    Nintendos ARE cool...

KingDave's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Twin View Post
    err the War of 1812??
    The War of 1812 was very much romanticized by later American writers. In reality, the US got knocked by a few Canadian peasants with pitch forks, who held their own against the US for a few years, until the British sailed a few boats over the pond and sacked their capitol.

Fail.
    Signature.

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

The War of 1812 was very much romanticized by later American writers. In reality, the US got knocked by a few Canadian peasants with pitch forks, who held their own against the US for a few years, until the British sailed a few boats over the pond and sacked their capitol.

Fail.
    That cracked me up.... +rep.

Elyrioth's Avatar Senator

I doubt it will be. I get the impression we could be looking at smaller more detailed maps
    Comments do seem to imply it will be a European GC:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=5804758#post5804758
    To be honest if it is, like in ETW, it will purely be for marketing purposes.

I all depends, if the Americas are in the game then the USA will probably be playable for the US market. But I do not think it should.
    Na Géanna Fiáine

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Imagine Americans at the battle of Waterloo. "You French saved us from the Brits, now we will return the favour and help you French create the United States of Europe under the French Republic!!"
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

♔GrinningManiac♔'s Avatar Centenarius

I thought I'd clarify for those saying "USA has nothing to do with Napoleon"

This is the Grand Campaign we're talking about. Napoleon likley won't come into it, as it's just the period, not the history.
    Secondly, War of 1812, Look it up

The war of 1812 took place within the period covered so the USA should definately be included.

Initially, neutral, but with a huge fleet of smugglers and pirates that seek to support Napoleon by evading the British blockade and that suck british seaman off their ships whenever they come close the a British fleet.

The British should respond by stopping and search US ships for illegal goods and deserters, and by secretly inciting the native american's into raiding US states.

Then when the US gets pissy about it and tries to invade Canada, Britain gets to burn the White House.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast